DIY 11' rip stop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY rip stop
    Insulation
    REI 20* bg
    Suspension
    webbing

DIY vs buying

Ok, so this will be my first camping hammock. I can go buy an Eno and jump in or I can make one and jump in. I have watched a lot of videos and I can actually sew like many of you from what I am reading.

I love DIY stuff, it thrills me to produce something for myself. The question is: if I make a no rip nylon material hammock and make one from the many tutorials and use the gathered ends, W fold or sew the ends and put cord through for the suspension system. Is there a different feel when lying in it from the store bought Eno?

I am guessing this has probably been discussed in the years past. But I wanted to start meeting y'all and get a conversation started.

CC

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Most DIY because it allows us to customize our gear easier and that feeling of "I made this awesome gear with these two hands!". Saving money is might happen but more often than not it's that feeling of accomplishment that drives a DIY project. Re purposing other gear is also a factor at times. Turning tin cans into usable stoves to cook meals on and so forth. This forum is rare in that there are a bunch of cottage industry folks who sell their wares here and they are (as a whole) the finest group of cottage industry folks I've encountered. So many are concerned about quality and service whilst doing something they love to do. They might be paying their bills but they don't have stockholders to report to and often their board consists of their family. If you caught the DIY bug, there are suppliers here to help you with that. If you choose to purchase your gear I suggest checking out the cottage vendors here before you make a trip to the local sporting goods store.

Ultimately whatever gear you make or buy will need to meet your needs and you are the one who has to be content with it so venture out and journey well.

HYOH
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Yes, if you make your own hammock following instructions here, laying in it will feel different than laying in an ENO hammock. It will feel better. Much, much better. The reason for this is that the dimensions of ENO hammocks are not really ideal for sleeping in. Most people find that an 11' long hammock is the ideal length for comfort for sleep. The DoubleNest, which seems to be the most popular ENO hammock, is only 9'4" long. That difference alone will make a tremendous impact on your comfort for sleeping.

This can also be accomplished by purchasing a hammock from the many wonderful cottage vendors that support this forum, as was already mentioned.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    My only caution/warning-
    MYOG/DIY becomes a hobby in and of itself. It can be rewarding, beneficial, and even produce gear that the world has never seen.
    If you already have a sewing rig in the house- a gathered end hammock is about the easiest project I can think of (just more yards of material than most). As you have noted though, hammocks seem to have infinite variables to play with, and that can lead to many experiments and tinkering.

It can be very fun, and potentially very rewarding.
    Just be careful what you start...there are times I find my self sewing gear rather than using gear.
    At those times I wonder if I shoulda just bought the **** thing and spent more time using it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm cheap so I see the things that people can make (my wife even offered to show me how to sew and/or use her sewing machine) and then I think "I don't have the time for that or I would". I'd say, if you have the time and the desire to make something really cool, go for it! What's the worst that can happen? A little lost time and maybe some lost material. If it works out, I agree, you will be saying "I made this" and have that feeling of pride.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Here was my decision - buy any hammock from Dutch between $30-$35.

Here is how I got to my decision, priced out a used sewing machine including thread ($25-$75), fabric to make a hammock ($16-$24), cord and cord locks for stuff sack ($2-$3). Unless I plan on making 10 or more hammocks it wasn't worth it.

What I DID decided to do, buy amsteel and zing-it and learn how to make all of my spliced projects as a money saver.

Check out www.dutchwaregear.com to help you decide.

I hope this helps.

Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    My only caution/warning-
    MYOG/DIY becomes a hobby in and of itself. It can be rewarding, beneficial, and even produce gear that the world has never seen.
    If you already have a sewing rig in the house- a gathered end hammock is about the easiest project I can think of (just more yards of material than most). As you have noted though, hammocks seem to have infinite variables to play with, and that can lead to many experiments and tinkering.

It can be very fun, and potentially very rewarding.
    Just be careful what you start...there are times I find my self sewing gear rather than using gear.
    At those times I wonder if I shoulda just bought the **** thing and spent more time using it.
    I like that answer a lot.
    I made my own first few hammocks and found that I really don't like to sew. I can and have done other sewing related projects but I would rather just cut the check and have a wonderful working product. I have bought and sold a few hammocks because lots of folks are in the same boat. If you watch the for sale section for a bit you will see used gear at lower prices.

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    With store bought stuff, you'll either have to search far and wide for something that's perfect to you, or cope with things.

With DIY, you can do the same, but you'll probably alter and fit what you make to you.

Personally, I alter most things I buy to fit me or I make things to fit me from the start.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    Here was my decision - buy any hammock from Dutch between $30-$35.

Here is how I got to my decision, priced out a used sewing machine including thread ($25-$75), fabric to make a hammock ($16-$24), cord and cord locks for stuff sack ($2-$3). Unless I plan on making 10 or more hammocks it wasn't worth it.

What I DID decided to do, buy amsteel and zing-it and learn how to make all of my spliced projects as a money saver.

Check out www.dutchwaregear.com to help you decide.

I hope this helps.

Rob
    Are you on commission?
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Guess what, each hammock is different. ENO is very different from Byers of Main, Hennessy is different again. I bet each DIY HAMMOCK is a bit different in the lay. Type of fabric, length, width all play a part.

Dutch has Semi-DIY hammocks out of different fibres, I am sure each has its own feel, I even bet the different colors feel a bit different when you hang in them. Pleating, gathering how the hammock is tied off makes a slight difference.

The differences between hammocks is a part of why so many of us have multiple hammocks. If you are comfortable injecting thread and enjoy DIY go for it. Just know your creation will probably feel different than any other hammock.

Have you decided on the type of fibre you will use (nylon, taffeta, cotton, argon, hyperD, polyester? Length? Width? Gee so many choices.

For starters I would go with something from Dutch Gear, see how that works for you, if you could go to a Hang first would be the best plan so you could test and see what you like. You are a babe in the woods, you need to sample and test before you know what you really like.

TEST IN YOUR YARD OR CLOSE TO HOME BEFORE A trip. Watch the weight limits and be sure not to hang higher than you can afford to fall. Check your gear before your trip and each time you take the hammock down. Falls are not cool.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast