Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    I would love for OP and other active scouts to chime in and let us know how hammocks are discussed at your PLC.
    Usually they are discussed on the campout when one kid hangs a hammock and 8 other kids in the patrol think it is cool and all want one on the next campout.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My son is a new hanger and his Scoutmaster said he's fine with it. I'll let him start when it's warmer and see how it goes before getting him proper insulation for cold weather.

Now, if you're met with opposition, you might mention that Baden-Powell tried to propagate hammock camping amoug Scouts in the early 1900's:

http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/scouting/

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by georgehammocks424 View Post
    Hi All-
    I am a Star scout in my local boyscout troop, and i was wondering if there are any scoutmasters, who either know of any boys using a hammock or think the use of a hammock for a scout is appropriate. I am also my troops instructor, so i am allowed to tent by myself. Do you think i should or should not be allowed to use my hammock as a personal tent on troop outings. Thanks.
    HappyHangin'
    I'm an assistant Scoutmaster who hammocks at scouting events when appropriate. I think you should be allowed to, but not on all campouts--for example, we often go to camporees that are basically just camping in an open field. If there aren't enough trees, you need to adjust. For the most part, I would say hammocks are appropriate for all backpacking trips (except Philmont). For car camping, just carry a backup tent in case there is no place to hammock. My oldest son sometimes hammocks (he's an Eagle, but has been hammocking since Star). We have a few other older boys who hammock as well. The rule in our troop is no single person tents (including hammocks) until Star.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    Go for it, as long as you have the proper gear for rain/wind protection & insulation to stay warm.

The kids & parents all looked at me a bit oddly when I first set up my hammock... Now a few of them set their own up.
    I resemble that remark.

That said, we have a couple of assistant scoutmasters who often just cowboy camp without any kind of tent/tarp, except for a groundcloth.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I think you left out something. What does your current scout leaders think about this?
    I would think their permission would be your first question you need answered before asking any advice here.
    BSA is supposed to be boy-led, it shouldn't be up to the adults, but the Scouts (aka the PLC (Patrol Leader's committee)). In our troop, the decision was to allow hammocks if there are enough trees.....

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kwlincoln View Post
    I'm an Asst Scout Master and the first to hang in our troop. The second time, there were two boys who set theirs up. They slept in their tent the first night and hammocks the second night but left their tent set up just in case. I anticipate more will join suit. It's new to our troop. I don't see any issues with it. Obviously step one for you is to talk to your Scoutmaster for his opinion.
    I think the tent backup option is good for beginning hammockers in Scouting. I know that's what I did when I first hammocked. When car camping, I always have a tent in the car, just in case the conditions aren't appropriate for hammocking.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    It depends on the outing for our troop. A few campouts a year we make the scouts use the troop tents so everything looks nice and orderly. For backpacking, canoeing, and other less structured camp outs we will have 20 or so hammocks hanging. It also depends on where. Many campgrounds we go to don't have enough trees. And I get first pick or bring my stand because I haul the troop trailer normally.
    The whole idea of tents being in neat and orderly lines irritates me as an assistant scoutmaster, unless camping in a flat field. Unfortunately, in this military town, I'm in the minority among the troop leadership on that subject. I think tents should be set up in the most practical place--which IMHO, precludes straight lines unless in a field.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserb View Post
    Usually they are discussed on the campout when one kid hangs a hammock and 8 other kids in the patrol think it is cool and all want one on the next campout.
    I watched this happen at Summer Camp this year with the first years blowing all their candy money on ENO hammocks. [Most did not realize ENOs don't come with suspension straps!]

What does your Youth Leadership think about a lot of people, but not everyone in a hammock. Is there any organized thought around how to handle a mix of hammocks and tents? Also, do you put rules in place to encourage buddies the same way we encourage two-man tents, especially for less experienced scouts?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    BSA is supposed to be boy-led, it shouldn't be up to the adults, but the Scouts (aka the PLC (Patrol Leader's committee)). In our troop, the decision was to allow hammocks if there are enough trees.....
    Thanks for this reply - so many Scouters seem to think that the troop belongs to them, not the boys, and it's very difficult to deal with. They declare "safety reasons" etc... instead of letting the boys make their own decisions and run their own Troop.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    We have about half the youth in our troop using hammocks and they hang as a patrol, that is in close proximity, often using common trees and such. The adults are in a different area and we usually spread out a little more because of the snore factor. A lot of troops have guidelines or policies about hammocks such as only for boys with a certain level of experience and so forth. That is not a boy led issue but one of how a troop sets it's own rules within BSA rules. Boy led issues are usually centered around what outings a troop goes on and what activities are planned to prepare for those outings

The past 2 years we have set up a hammock wheel at summer camp and it's been great. Youth are allowed to set their hammocks up for overnight use but adults either use tents or set up their own hammock wheel in a different area. The boys love their hammocks and the gear they made during the hammock camping merit badge to use them on as many outings as possible.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast