Tarp
    Vertex, UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Images

The Evolution Of Indecision

I have a friend who has a North American Clark Jungle hammock. It seems like a solid set up, so while researching, I thought for sure I would end up getting a Clark NX-250 or the NA. Then after pondering the overall cost of either of those, my accountant (me) gave reason for pause. Further clicking and googling led to the HH website. HH has many hardcore fans and some solid features that had me considering the purchase of an Asym zip with super shelter accessories. But after fumbling through those numbers, my bank account still had sticker shock. I know a trend is developing here, but please know that I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for" and I don't like to buy substandard items that are essentially disposable.
    I also looked at the NUBe from SMR... it looks really cool, but I think the ability to customize the tarp config is lost with this shelter.
    I joined HF and started digging around further, and found Dream Hammocks. Those looked really nice and I went to their website. After getting confused like many noobs, I figured I wasn't qualified or educated properly regarding hammocks to make decisions on what type of fabric, straps, options, etc to get the proper set up. that being said, I still think this might be my best option once I have some confidence in what I want. I checked out ENO One Link, but the bug net draped right over the sides and touching everything seems pointless. After that I checked out the WBBB. The popularity and foot box just add to what can only be described as Information overload over the course of 4 days.
    Ugh
    Last edited by mooseprime; 02-07-2015 at 22:53. Reason: hit the enter button by accident too soon

Images
    Congrats for keeping your CC close to your chest until you get this figured out. Most don't and regret their first purchase/s without know what's available.

It would really help if you told us about you (height and weight) and what type of hiking/camping(car/4x4, motorbike, backpack, kayak, etc) you like to do.
    What seasons do you want this hammock camping kit to cover and no there is not 1 system to cover them all unless you live in So Florida where it's 70F year round, haha

Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    I decided to go the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro route mainly due to cost, but I came across the Meck family here on the forum after I purchased my hammock. I really wish I had seen their stuff before making my purchase and I'm looking forward to a future purchase. This looks like something you might be interested in: http://www.hammeck.com/hammocks/envy-s

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

Try and attend a local group hang in your area where you can check out many different set ups and talk to the users. If you ask real nice most of us will let you climb inside our rigs to check them out
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Draumr, Clark NX270
    Tarp
    Vertex, UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Congrats for keeping your CC close to your chest until you get this figured out. Most don't and regret their first purchase/s without know what's available.

It would really help if you told us about you (height and weight) and what type of hiking/camping(car/4x4, motorbike, backpack, kayak, etc) you like to do.
    What seasons do you want this hammock camping kit to cover and no there is not 1 system to cover them all unless you live in So Florida where it's 70F year round, haha

Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you!
    Since I live in the upper Midwest, I would need at minimum a 3 season winterizable set up. I'm 5'10 225# and like to Hike and canoe camp. I have a pop up camper for car trips with the wife and kids.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseprime View Post
    Thank you!
    Since I live in the upper Midwest, I would need at minimum a 3 season winterizable set up. I'm 5'10 225# and like to Hike and canoe camp. I have a pop up camper for car trips with the wife and kids.
    Cool,
    I will recommend a single layer 1.5,1.7 or 1.9 thickness 11'x60" open hammock (no bugnet) gathered end hammock.
    Many great one to choose from. Look at all the vendors listed on the forum.
    Get a stand alone bugnet for bug season most that sell hammocks sell a matching bugnet.

A 20F quilt set is the most versatile for 3 season use and can be taken lower than the rating with extra gear and proper camp setup.
    When investigating those you have weight, pack space and $$$ to consider. Down is used the most and Apex is probably the second around here.

And finely you need a good tarp to keep everything dry.
    I prefer silnylon and for an 11' hammock I'd recommend a 12' ridgeline tarp without doors or an 11' RL tarp if you get doors. You can go exodic with ultra light cuben at 4X the cost.
    Most of the small cottage shops we use here make them. I honestly can say one is better that the other. I would look at the colors and features you want and go from there.

hth

Here are some of my hammocks. It kind of becomes an addiction if you enjoy hanging.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7632322638444/
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-07-2015 at 23:36.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some pretty heavy rigs you're looking at. I assume you're not a backpacker?

I'd cross the ENO OneLink and Nube off the list immediately and keep them off. ENO is not a great value (and heavy) and Nube is a novelty hammock. The Clark costs a fortune - and might be the heaviest hammock on the market.

Hennessy is a decent starter hammock. It was my first and I liked being able to buy a complete system without all the agonizing research. I used my Expedition Asym Zip for two years and liked it, until I tried other hammocks. In retrospect, the Hennessy is the least comfortable hammock I've ever owned. I also made the mistake of getting the postage stamp tarp instead of upgrading to the HH Hex. I never even considered the Supershelter because of the whole vapor barrier thing - I would sweat like a pig with a Supershelter. Me and condensation do not get along. Also, Hennessy Hammocks generally have a low resale value on the FS forum. Expect to lose 30 to 40% off retail, even if you only set it up once in the backyard.

Which leaves Dream Hammock and Warbonnet of the hammocks you've researched (there are others). Both are extremely popular and have good resale value if for some reason you don't like them. However, as sargevining is fond of recommending, starting out you might want to think about spending the least amount of money on the hammock itself and get the things you really need, like an underquilt, topquilt, and a decent tarp. You can get a simple, gathered-end hammock from Dutch or BIAS for $30-35, or include a whoopie hook suspension for total cost of around $70. Add a Dutch Fronkey-style bugnet for $45 and you're set.

Once you've got some experience, then you can look at the higher-end, big ticket hammocks.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-07-2015 at 23:57.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You've covered a lot of ground in only 4 days! Evolve some more. Go to a hang and try some hammocks for first impressions, but be prepared to evolve further when you start sleeping overnight. That makes resale value potentially important (though not essential). The best bang for your buck is probably a decent underquilt that will stay with you even if you swap hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The advice offered so far has been good. Keep an eye on the classifieds here - it will give you an idea of what used gear is worth as compared to new. Price and speed of sale will give you a perspective. Used DIY can be a good option, depending on who made it.
    There are those who like integrated gear (hammock/bug net/zippers/tie outs) and those who don't. A good under quilt will work with either set up.
    I lived in MN for 40+ years - you will need a bug net. I moved to MT to get warm and escape the blood suckers.
    Good luck on your dilemma, and...

Also, check out all of Shug's vids. I think he lives down river from you in the southern burbs.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    All of the advice you've gotten so far is very good. Mine isn't going to be a specific recommendation as to an hammock, tarp, insulation system, etc. Instead, it's going to be general...

Think about what kind of outdoors experience you want. Since you said that you're going to be hiking, canoeing, and possibly car camping with a pop up, I'm going to ask you about all three.

When you hike, are you looking at big miles per day? That is, are you going to be spending the majority of your day hiking rather than lounging in camp or stopping to take the sights in? If so, weight and bulk are going to be the primary drivers of your purchasing here. You're going to want the lightest gear you can afford, which means either skimping a little on comfort in camp (using a smaller tarp, 3/4 under insulation, more fiddly suspension systems, etc.) or spending more money (Cuben fiber tarps, high-fill power down insulation with the lightest nylon shells, etc.).

If you're going to be spending most of your hikes in camp or stopping to take in the scenery, then heavier materials will do just fine. You'll want more coverage from your tarp (doors are popular for most folks in colder weather), more insulation carried (full-length underquilts are popular, since you'll be sitting still for longer periods), and easier to adjust suspensions (cinch buckles and straps are popular for a reason).

That being said, things are probably somewhere in the middle.

When you canoe, is space at an all-time premium? If so, you'll want stuff that compresses down as far as possible (smaller tarps, down insulation, whoopie slings instead of straps). If not, then larger gear will do just fine (synthetic insulation, larger tarps, straps, etc.).

When you car camp, are your children/casual camping friends going to want to try out your gear? If so, slightly more durable gear is going to be indicated--and, if you want gear to loan out, cheaper gear is probably indicated (as you won't be using it every time you go out).

These're just some of the things to think about.

Personally, in your situation, since I hike and bike a lot--over very long distances for me--I would prize weight and bulk over everything else except ease of use. The best bet for that is to have a minimalist single-layer 11' x 60" hammock with a simple-to-use suspension (if Dutch gets his Speed Hook 2.0 off of the ground, I'll take a look, but right now it's cinch buckles and Dutch Clips with straps); at your weight, I'd look at 1.5 oz/sq yd nylon. I'd also get a minimalist tarp, but not too minimalist (I'm a fan of the Wilderness Logics Tadpole and the Warbonnet Edge for cost/weight/coverage) since you're not used to using a postage stamp yet. I'd get a simple-to-use bug net (the Nano Buginator from BIAS and the Fronkey-style net from Dutch are both very good deals on easy detachable nets). I'd use my sleeping bag until I could afford a 20* down top quilt (which is going to cause sticker shock, trust me).

But what I'd prioritize over everything but the hammock itself is a 20* down underquilt. That's going to cost a pretty penny, but it's worth the price in comfort/weight/bulk. Promise.

Anyway, that's what my choices would be. But take your time and really think about what kind of outdoors experience you want before purchasing. Prioritize accordingly: weight (bulk)/comfort (ease of use)/cost is a sliding scale between the three axi.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast