Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD DL integrated bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY 12' HEX
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Finland would definitely use a proper hammock gear and DIY material vendor! I know only two places who sell anything else than basic TTTM type hammocks (Varustenet imports Hennessy, and Varusteleka has DD)

I suppose hammocks really are gaining popularity in Finland, but the knowledge about them is still quite shallow. When people hear the word hammock, they mostly think of a sunny summer afternoon, laying in either the classic bulky back yard hammokcs, or TTTM (which have done a great job saturating the casual hanging market). Hammock camping seems to be quite unknown to the general public. It might be most widespread in the paddling community (at least most of the people I have seen with hammocks have been on sea kayaking trip). So I suppose it all boils down to building awareness of hammock camping among the active outdoor people.

Building a potential customer base by educating young people would be a logical first step. Starting with scouts is a great idea, since they are already interested in outdoors. And what I have heard from my wife, a girl scout master, TTTMs have bee insanely popular especially in big jamborees.

But you should engage adults too. They have the money

Youtube videos are a relatively easy and agile way to start. But if you wan't to get straight to the right target group, I believe that Suomen latu (The Outdoor Association of Finland) could also be interested in introducing less known outdoor activities to their members. For example they have promoted geocaching quite actively in recent years. Try to reach them and ask if you could give some (well planned) presentations or demonstrations. They have a widespread and enthusiastic membership.

One possible way of gaining wider awareness among outdoor people could be doing a hike with a proper hammock setup (maybe even several options for demonstration purposes), and writing an inspiring article about it accompanied with some good pictures. Offer it to Latu&polku (published by Suomen latu) or Retki outdoor magazines. They might be also interested in still quite obscure outdoor activities.

Maybe try also to find the hammockers that already are out there by organizing a hang out event. You'll gain first hand knowledge of the most potential customer group. In the Suomen Latu subsection Tunturilatu (in the Helsinki region club Kavtsi) a couple of memebers started to organize wood gas camp stove gatherings a couple of times a year just by creating Facebook events and posting them to the Tunturilatu Facebook wall. The gatherings have started to slowly grow, when people outside the small group of enthusiasts have heard about these strange little devices.

And how to bring this all together into a profitable business? That’s the tricky part. Start small and build up. Start prototyping and testing ideas to your own products. Do research about potential hammock brands, gear and material to import besides your own line of products. Put up even a humble website with a shop. Try to bring something of your own, something local into your brand and products, not just repeating what’s been done elsewhere. Do benchmarking with even vaguely similar businesses like e.g. Shelby, that’s making their own outdoor clothing and selling DIY clothing materials and even patterns to their products, Juuvi, a one mans wood gas camp stove manufacturing and innovation business, or Welhonpesä, vendor that specializes in kayaking and canoeing gear.

Although as a entrepreneur my self (freelance graphic designer), I must say that the bureaucracy of starting a business can be daunting. But nothing you wouldn’t get trough with some guts and perseverance. Too often Finnish people are so afraid of failing, that they don’t even try. Now (if you still are unemployed) you have the perfect opportunity to start building something of your own!

If the swedes can build several international outdoor brands in a marketplace not so much larger than our own, why couldn’t you?
    Last edited by elmex; 05-15-2015 at 03:44.
    Metsän poika tahdon olla, sankar jylhän kuusiston.
    Tapiolan vainiolla karhun kanssa painiin käyn,
    ja maailma unholaan jääköön.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Well one thing you don't lack in Finland is trees to tie out your hammock. 😋😋😋🌲🌲🌲I'm coming to Finland to visit friends the week before and after 4th of July. They live in Helsinki and we will be visiting their summer place in Hanko. If you would like me to bring you some lightweight things just PM me.

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I would find somebody that knows how to sew to do sewing, your hammocks need to have something special about them. Advertise,Advertise, Advertise. Tell everybody you can, in all age groups.Find a supplier for your materials. And always think outside of the box, be creative. It doesn't happen overnight it takes time, alot of work and money.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Panic View Post
    Well one thing you don't lack in Finland is trees to tie out your hammock. 😋😋😋🌲🌲🌲I'm coming to Finland to visit friends the week before and after 4th of July. They live in Helsinki and we will be visiting their summer place in Hanko. If you would like me to bring you some lightweight things just PM me.
    Thanks for the offer! I unfortunately don't have anything in mind right now and already ordered some things from Dutch. I hear that our summer for this year might turn out to be a bit colder than usual. Hanko is a really nice place but prepare for a chill.

Quote Originally Posted by karbo View Post
    I would find somebody that knows how to sew to do sewing, your hammocks need to have something special about them. Advertise,Advertise, Advertise. Tell everybody you can, in all age groups.Find a supplier for your materials. And always think outside of the box, be creative. It doesn't happen overnight it takes time, alot of work and money.Good luck.
    It seems that one of the big problems is gaining access to the necessary materials. Haven't yet found any sources for hammock suitable nylon fabrics and importing brings huge costs.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    It is heartwarming to read the supportive messages. I, too, was going to suggest that he find someone who can sew for him. Might help another unemployed person.

I consider myself lucky to have a Backwoods Daydreamer tarp. When faced with a prospective house move, Scott Littlefield put the making of products on hold and started selling supplies, this morphed into DIY gear Supply. He even has a tutorial section. http://diygearsupply.com

You might want to get proficient at splicing and make continuous loops and whoopie slings. It looks as if they have a fairly high profit margin. Every time I drop $5+ on a continuous loop, I say to myself, " you HAVE to learn to splice." Dutch gave me a lesson at the FL hang and I've been looking and videos and you tubes - almost there.
    I like the YouTube where the guy shows (via a piece of paper/cardboard) how to measure for an 8" continuous loop (16" in the middle and then 4"/2" for loss and bury etc. At each end). It helped me picture the process.

Should be easy to get a roll and make a bunch. Small package, cheap postage, easy to carry a lot of inventory. Perhaps you could have a free raffle at, say, a scout presentation, with pairs of continuous loops as prizes. Inexpensive marketing.

DD Hammocks (UK) sell gear made in China. Somewhere I read that they ensure that the products are high quality.

Good luck.

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Check out several of the outdoor tradeshows both in your country and the larger European ones. You don't need to have a booth to participate; you can register as a "Buyer" and walk around and look and speak to other outdoor product vendors. Many outdoor activities share the same client base and have complimentary products and sources. The established vendors are usually quite friendly and personable especially during the slow part of the day. Most of these are for the industry only so you might need some sort of small business registration/tax ID/reseller ID depending on the laws of your country to register for the shows.

Just print out at least twice a many business cards as you think you would need. These shows can be a lot of fun as there are so many toys to look at and play with while you do research

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123