What insulation can hang under the hammock for 58 nights, and also work on the ground for 2 nigh

What insulation can hang under the hammock for 58 nights, and also work on the ground for 2 nights, of wind and rain?

Hmm. Has anyone ever used refletix to hang under and as a ground sheet?

If it was so windy I did not want to be under a tree. Or perhaps no trees in the area. I may check out the Pacific Northwest Trail this summer. I would expect the coldest temp to be close to freezing. Either hanging or on the ground a person needs insulation. So, what insulation clould work for both up and down.

I have a Hennesy Hiperlite with bottom entry. I have the classic undercover and classic under pad. http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/ Looks like they are no longer selling that model, and only have the side zip now. http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock

Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD 11' Olive
    Suspension
    Rap Rings/Webbing
    Images
    I've slept in 60 degree weather just laying my sleeping bag inside the hammock, about 4 feet from the bed of coals left over from the campfire. I actually got hot enough that I had to open up the sleeping bag at some point and cool off.

A tarp goes a long way toward cutting the wind.

If your bag has two zippers and isn't fully sewn at the bottom, you can move the bottom zipper up to make an opening, pull the end of the hammock through and zip up your bag around it, like this:

MB54xGe.jpg
    Last edited by fromkentucky; 02-08-2015 at 17:37.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Used http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com KAQ Jarbidge and New River daily for 14 months straight here in the Mid Atlantic. Jarbidge in the summer, New River for the winter, stacked both for the middle of winter down to -11. For extended outdoor use I preferred synthetic. Worked like a champ. Not sure if I would do that with down even if it was hydrophobic. My setup was "deployed", as in setup and never taken down for those 14 months with the exception of 6 weeks in the woods for trips, vacations, etc.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd go with a water resistant down underquilt and a very thin foam pad, e.g. a 3-season Yeti and a 3mm Evazote full-length pad. With a 3/4 underquilt you'll need something under your legs anyways - you can either double up the foam pad and use it just under your legs, or as is, which will provide extra insulation under your torso. The 2 nights you spend on the ground, you can double up the foam pad to use under your torso with your pack under your legs. It's not very comfortable, but it should do.

Of course you could just take a bigger pad and forgo the underquilt, but it takes some getting used to. The pad will move around when you move. And you'll need some extra insulation for the shoulder. Search for SPE (segmented pad extender) to see one option.

• + New Posts