Dream Hammock Dangerbirds
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/Bullfrg
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to have a vertex the only thing I didn't like about it was with only one person in it the hammock leaned over to one side, perhaps this was a tree tie off issue i don't know. I also didn't like suspension. Good luck to you. Also how tall are you at 6'3" it felt a little cramped for me. Finding sets of trees in a trio is actually the easy part.
    Paul a.k.a. The Costco Kid

This is my Father's world, And to my listening ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings, The music of the spheres.
    This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--His hand the wonders wrought.

Hammock
    Clark Vertex, NX270, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliners, JRB, AHE
    Suspension
    DutchWare, ENO
    I'm just under 6-ft and just under 200 lbs. My wife's is about 5-1/2 ft and about 125 lbs. I felt like I had plenty of length, just a bit narrowed. We haven't camped in the Vertex yet and won't be able to do so until the last weekend of this month, at the earliest. So after that, we'll be able to know a lot more about how it feels. I know already with the new suspensions it'll be much easier/quicker to setup. In our quick first setup, we did notice how it leans (more like drops) a bit when one or the other gets out, but it wasn't bad. Again, once we really give it a good workout, we'll know more.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Paul, no leaning issues with my Vertex. It might have been how you tied it. I've crashed in it solo at parks and such getting used to how it was set up so I could do it quickly on the trail.

I'm 6'1, she's about 5'8, both average (lean). With the Big Agnes insulated air pads (78x20") we still had plenty of wiggle room in it. I think it depends heavily on how you set it up and the angle of the hang. Fiddle around with it a bit just like any other hammock and find your sweet spot. (She likes it a little more taught than I do)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbirds
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/Bullfrg
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Paul, no leaning issues with my Vertex. It might have been how you tied it. I've crashed in it solo at parks and such getting used to how it was set up so I could do it quickly on the trail.

I'm 6'1, she's about 5'8, both average (lean). With the Big Agnes insulated air pads (78x20") we still had plenty of wiggle room in it. I think it depends heavily on how you set it up and the angle of the hang. Fiddle around with it a bit just like any other hammock and find your sweet spot. (She likes it a little more taught than I do)
    Yep may have been how we set it up! We don't have it anymore, sent back to Clark. We went with dream hammocks instead. Glad it works out for you guys. Good luck.
    Paul a.k.a. The Costco Kid

This is my Father's world, And to my listening ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings, The music of the spheres.
    This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--His hand the wonders wrought.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliners, JRB, AHE
    Suspension
    DutchWare, ENO
    Just spent some time today hanging the Vertex, with the factory suspension replaced with four 10" Amsteel loops and four Eno Atlas straps. Soooo much easier/faster! Also played with the Verex tarp, temporarily using 1/4" braided nylon rope for a ridge line, under the tarp. Centering the tarp using paracord Prussicks at each end of the tarp. On each corner of the tarp, I'm using 22" of 1/8" shock cord (tied in a loop) that is then attached to 12 ft of Lawson's 3mm Orange Glowire. I'm still trying to decide what line to use for the ridge line when I really begin to use the tarp. I know the Amsteel may be over kill, but I'm leaning towards that (maybe because I like overkill!) but I also want my Prussicks to hold well and I've read where that can sometimes be a problem with Amsteel. Any comments or recommendations appreciated. Hoping to really use the Vertex next weekend, for a two-nighter. I'll report how that went, once completed.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    I went and bought some standard 4mm static nylon rope and use that as a ridgeline under my tarp. Works great. I also bought some 2mm static nylon rope which I use as prussick loops attached to the ridgeline. Six of them (2 x for the tarp ends, 4 x for under quilt attachment points). Works like a charm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I have a question for vertex owners, how would some of the other popular 4 season tarps work with the vertex i.e. the Superfly or the WL Big Daddy sized offerings in terms of coverage. I'm assuming that a pole mod would also be a good thing to consider. I'm just thinking that hanging with a wife/gf that the privacy issue would make the tarp with doors very desirable.

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Banner, probably fine for the Superfly. I have the Vertex tarp which is pretty decent for size and a Kelty Noah 12 that I was planning to see how well it might enclose it. I'd also like to try the pole mod on the Kelty. Alas, the weather around here has been just past abysmal and while I'd be happy to take the stuff out and try it my car with it's summer-performance tires won't even get out of my driveway much less to any place where I can set it up in some trees. (open area behind the house, no trees. Grrr).

I will see about taking pics and such when I can get it done. The friend and I are planning to escape and go camping soon since we are both going stir crazy in here. lol

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliners, JRB, AHE
    Suspension
    DutchWare, ENO
    Well ... We (wife & I) finally gave the Vertex setup a proper break in, setting it up twice and sleeping in it for two nights. The trees I used the first night were too far apart, about 20 ft from head end to foot end. Plus, the angle was not the best, forcing me to have one head line about three ft longer than the other. We setup in the dark, with a lot of wind and rain threatening, so that complicated things abit also. Her side had a better hang than my side, and I gave up messing with my side because of the weather. However, We both slept very warm and comfortably. I should add that we used the Vertex tarp and the Z-liner under quilts. It rained most of the night and the tarp worked very well. After it was hung, I put the z-liners on the hammock. The lowest temp was only around 50 degrees, so the z-liner keep us really warm, so much so that on the second night, I slept most of the night with just a sheet on top and we slept with the net and weather shield zipped down and tucked into the foot end pocket. The next day, with a break in the rain, I relocated the foot end to a tree that was about 12 ft from the head end and better centered between the two head end trees. Even though that 12 ft distance is a little too short, we had a much betteer and almost perfectly symmetrical hang. The Vertex tarp squeezed in nicely, though a little more distant between the trees would have been better for it. That night, we slept just under the tarp, pitched low on the side we were getting the rain and high (porch mode) on the other. No net or weather shield. It rained slowly all through the night, with few squalls coming through that only briefly woke me (but not her). We slept like rocks .... Very peaceful with the rain falling on the tarp ... Nice and dry, warm, and comfortable. With only a couple more kinks to work out, I know we are going to enjoy hammocking!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sounds like a great time! Now comes the fun question: Where are the pics?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast