Clark Vertex, NX270, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliners, JRB, AHE
    Suspension
    DutchWare, ENO

New Vertex Setup/1st Impressions

Just completed my first setup of our (wife/myself) Clark Vertex hammock and tarp. The quality of the materials and construction are top rate. I think if we take care of this gear, it will last a long time. Prior to this, I've only owned and setup an Eno Double Nest, using their Atlas Straps. Using the lines that came with the Clark, it took me awhile to get everything just right, and even then I felt I needed to adjust it some more, but got tired of tying and untying the lines. I've got Amsteel loops, carabiners, and another set of Atlas straps coming my way that will make things a lot easier/quicker. I think the Vertex is pretty persnickety .... but once we get more time in setting it and then sleeping in it, we'll get it dialed in. I'm really happy with it and could have taken a good nap in it today, if we had more time to keep it set up. I was surprised that the tarp wasn't bigger, in relation to the hammock. It does cover it, but in my view, not as much as I wish. The next time out I'll set a 12-ft Kelty Noah's tarp over it and see if that gives me what I want. One thing I did differently than what I've seen on Clark's website was with the tarp. Instead of two lines running from the tarp to the two head trees, I ran a tight line between those trees and then ran a ridge line, attached to that line, down to the foot end tree. That gave me a single line to hang the tarp on, which I centered over the hammock with prusik loops on each end of the tarp. That seem to work really well and I can't think of why it's not the best way to hang this tarp, when dealing with three trees. Comments?

Hammock
    Clark TX-150
    Tarp
    Custom Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Was it easy to find suitable trees to setup the double hammock? Can you get away with just two trees ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliners, JRB, AHE
    Suspension
    DutchWare, ENO
    Thierict ... Since this was my first set-up, we did it on our property (lots of trees!) and we're lucky to have an almost perfect trio right in an area we often camp. I guess it all depends on where you are camping, but since getting the Vertex I look at a groups of trees differently now and often see three trees grouped together just the way you need them for this hammock. Two trees (or other attachment points, about five-six feet from each other) must be at the head end. The foot end has two lines also, but they run to the same tree (or other suitable attachment point). Go to Clarks website (www.junglehammock/vertex) and you'll see how to set this hammock up.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a Vertex and love it. Only problem is my wife and kid always get dibs on it. I haven't slept in it yet. Suggestion, change the suspension.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Dutch, can you use your double whoopie hooks to use this with one tree or does it need more spread than that?
    Brady

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Dutch, can you use your double whoopie hooks to use this with one tree or does it need more spread than that?
    I is a long distance form one suspension to the other. That would make for a big seesaw effect. I am thinking it is best to find 3 trees.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliners, JRB, AHE
    Suspension
    DutchWare, ENO
    Vertex suspension has been changed. Just last night I installed 10-inch Amsteel loops through each sleeve (4) using a larks head and will attach those via climbing carabiners to Atlas straps. My only concern (fueled by my lack of experience and knowing nothing about what kind of forces are applied to the hammock fabric by the Amsteel loops) is that compared to the Clark lines that I removed, the diameter of the Amsteel is tiny (7/64, I think?). I'm not worried about the weight carrying ability, but how that small diameter effects or wears inside the fabric sleeve. Is there anything I should worry about here?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That hammock is so overbuilt you should be fine. There are many hammocks with thinner fabric and amsteel running through them that you are well within the safety margin as long as you are within the weight limits of the hammock. Weak point it the stitching and that is not very weak.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I also have the Vertex and agree that it changes how you look at trees when you are scouting sites. So far I have only found two sites that didn't have very good tree set-ups so we tent camped but that's the first two in a long time. The Vertex Tarp is nice but I have also thought about taking my Kelty Noah 12 out and seeing if I could do it more like a full closable winter shelter (door mode). I'm not sure it would work with the tall bow over the hammock but it's worth a shot.

If you use the drip ring method (mine had it on them when I got it) the tying/set-up is pretty easy but the nylon rope is annoying. Beyond that, I love it! If the zippers feel at all tight then you have your set-up pulled too tight (give it a steeper hang and less tension), otherwise it's super comfy and unless it's raining pretty heavily the Weathershield does okay without the tarp.

Have fun with it!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    I also made a ridgeline with prussicks for my tarp. I also find it the best and easiest way to get the tarp where you want.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast