Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I also now use the sea to summit air pillow and i love it. The trick I use is to not blow it up all the way. I have tried 4 or 5 different pillows and even a stuff sack with extra clothes but the air pillow works best for me. Its so small & light it makes for a great space filler in my back pack

What is a good way to store a hammock and tarp long-term

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I tend to use two pillows, one under my knees and the other under my head. For my knees I either use my down jacket while hiking, or a EMS dreamy pillow. My head gets a Cacoon ultralight inflatable, which only gets 1/3-1/2 inflated.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Well I only car camp, and I'm the type of sleeper that likes a bit of support under my head. When I'm in my hammock I also need a bit of support under my knees to keep the leg cramps down. Any way, I have 2 pillows that go on the regular outdoor hammocks for your backyard. One is semi firm, it goes under the knees, the other is soft, and it goes under my head. The thing I like the most is they are narrow, but long, so they go across the hammock well. And they work great if I decide to turn on my side. They are narrow enough to maneuver around in the hammock without taking up much room. KingsFord made a fleece cover for my head pillow so I can wash it easily. It also stays in place well, unlike some of the down pillows i've tried.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Quote Originally Posted by kent10s View Post
    I use one of those airline sleeping horse shapped pillows, that wraps around your neck. its perfect for my hammock.
    This is what I use too. Anything else (hiking sized) tends to pop out from under my head during the night.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Meckie View Post
    ...I am wondering what types of pillows people use, if they feel that it would help me, and what some of the pros and cons are to the pillow that you use.
    A convenient, hammock-compatible "neck stretcher/support" that you might benefit by, and that I use to support and decompress my own cervicals, is a "medium-sized" stuff sack filled with unworn clothing, a camp towel, etc. You may determine size and firmness by sack dimensions and %capacity utilized. I need only to fill the gap 'tween ear and shoulder, and maintain neutrality of alignment, while I side-lay. This allows muscular relaxation and effortless cervical decompression, all while I do nothing more strenuous than sleep. It works for me, and it might work for you, too. Best of health to you, Meckie. P.S. This arrangement has no cons for me. I find it very accommodating and very adjustable.
    Last edited by irondog; 05-15-2015 at 17:17.

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I've got a Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core; it's got some fabric and apparently some structure so it's not as crinkly as just an air one. Provides some insulation, too. I like that it's inflatable so I can adjust it to different heights.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    I use two LL Bean camp pillows, one under my head, the other is under my knees. I like the feel of the cotton flannel. Being an indoor hanger, weight and portability are not an issue.

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 Hexon 10'
    Tarp
    HG Std CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DG Whoopie Hook
    When the weather is cooler and I pack my down vest or jacket I usually use this in a stuff sack as a pillow. In the summer when I do not pack a vest I use the HG down pillow as it is a lighter option. I have tried air pillows and personally do not like them. Every time you slightly move your head the air pressure equalizes on the opposite side and I find it to be uncomfortable and annoying.

I find a hammock pillow needs to be very soft to the point where it allows your head to completely sink into it. Unlike a pillow for your bed that slightly elevates your head a hammock pillow in my experience is strictly for neck support as the hammock already slightly elevates the head.

That's my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.....

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I just made this one and I really like it so far. The pillow is divided in half inside. One half is climashield and the other inside pocket has about 3 ounces of down.

It has a cinch cord ran around the inside perimeter of the pillow that allows me to adjust the thickness of the pillow while in hammock and the draw cord also allows me to attach it to a length of shock cord tied to my ridgeline to keep it in place.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345