Envy-S
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Monster
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Customs
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Using a Pillow in a Hammock

I have neck problems and to this point have not found a need to us a pillow in my hammock, but the other weekend at a hang I popped my neck out (was in pain) and found it to be hard to sleep in my hammock. I am wondering what types of pillows people use, if they feel that it would help me, and what some of the pros and cons are to the pillow that you use.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I also have neck issues and for a while last year I thought my hammock camping days were over.

I use a variety of different sized pillows in my hammock. If I am back packing then I tend to take a smaller lighter weight pillow than when I am car camping.

I find the pillow provides insulation to my head as I tend to place my 3/4 or 7/8 length UQs so it they provide insulation from my shoulders down.

All I can suggest is that you get a variety of different size/firness of pillows and do a back yard test to see what works best for you.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I backpack, so I wanted a small pillow to carry. I sleep on my side or back throughout the course of the night, and sleeping on my side basically requires the use of a pillow. I had some amazon credit, so I purchased a pillow through them. It was a Sierra Designs DriDown Pillow. its about the right size, easy to clean, and has a small amount of down. it does help me get a good nights sleep. It does help me minimize my head getting cold.

Given than you have ready access to someone who can sew, maybe you should consider a DIY. A small down pillow maybe the perfect fit for you, and would be something that could be thrown together quickly.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed BF
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    EMS Siesta Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    Here is a thread that discussed this at length. Good luck in your search for the perfect pillow.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...packing-Pillow

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I haven't used one in my hammock in the past, I've always used a rolled up vest, jacket or spare shirt if needed. Recently, however, I was messing around lounging in my hammock and decided to test out a nearby bed pillow. I took a quick nap and was amazed and how nice the pillow was in the hammock. I now have a wilderness logics down pillow on order for when I go backpacking. I chose the down pillow because it is lighter and should compress smaller in my pack. I'm hoping that it doesn't compress so much that it ends up not helping in the hammock... If that's the case I'll probably end up getting a synthetic one instead, either from wilderness logics or arrowhead equipment. Like gunner76 mentioned, try it out with a couple of pillows and see if it works for you. Everyone is different so that's probably the best advice you can get.

Hammock
    Dutchware netted
    Tarp
    Ghill Gorilla 12
    Insulation
    stratus insul.pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I use one of those airline sleeping horse shapped pillows, that wraps around your neck. its perfect for my hammock.

I use a fleece jacket rolled up or light down jacket stuffed in its own pocket. Sometimes I use them sometimes I don't, and this approach has served me well. I've been of the thought that I don't need the extra piece of gear. But lately I've been wondering If I'd get more comfort from a dedicated pillow. With the added benefit of going with a lighter quilt, and then more often wearing the jacket if I am cold in the hammock. So I am also interested in what others say about pillows.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    I too have neck problems, but I like to travel light. One thing I have tried is to take my insulated jacket and stuff all of the jacket except the hood into a small stuff sack. (You don't have a hooded jacket?! You should!) I put the hood on, and adjust the stuff sack behind my neck. (If it's the heat of the summer, put the whole jacket in! Although, if it is really warm, I might not have that jacket with me - haven't faced that yet.)

This works for me because (1) I like a very firm, round neck pillow, and (2) my jacket is bulky enough at 18.5 ounces to make a good pillow. On the other hand, my down jacket, at 7.5 ounces, compresses too far to make a good pillow (for me). But, there is usually some extra clothing that can also be stuffed into the sack.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I need a small pillow too, but don't like the inflatable kind and was literally on my way to buy fabric to make my own, when we stopped by our small outfitter for something else and I stumbled upon this Saturday:

http://www.rei.com/product/810300/th...st-down-pillow

I see it's not available now, but I'd check around especially at the smaller shops. The thing compressed very small, weighs 4 oz and you can use the cord to stuff extra clothes in the back of it if it's not thick enough. I laid in my WBBB with it for a while yesterday, won't need extra stuffing, and it was wonderful--love it.

I made a diy and stuffed it with down reaped from a regular pillow. I could make a smaller one but I love using this pillow. It adds extra insulation to your head for cold nights and can be placed flat for sleeping or double up to make it higher for just lounging around in your hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast