Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Stitch length question?

I need to start and finish my dl attached bugnet/cover project. I have a 15-91 and it will only stitch say 12-15 per inch. Any lower and I get a gradual degrade of stitch quality. First it starts making a bump on the bottom and that leads to more and more thread being left sticking out and eventually a birds nest. I have tried adjusting the top thread tensioner (fully adjusted) and bobbin adjuster (I know I am not suppose to touch that but I did it as instructed in small turns and now it too is fully adjusted). I believe if I had to venture a guess the bobbin case is the issue or I somehow messed up the top thread adjuster.

Koolranch was kind enough to give me a similar machine, but this is my question. How bad would it be to sew the entire hammock, bugnet, zippers, channels and such with say 12 stitches per? I tried to hold myself to 6-8 on all others I made in line with the theory that more stitches means more holes which could lead to a great fail point. My question is but doesn't mean more stitches to hold more as well?

Until I began DIY'ing I never paid it much a thought, but now that I have seen some of the vendors goods it looks like some of them are more then 6-8 per.

The main reason I ask is because I don't want to start tearing into these 2 machines and trouble shooting or ordering a new bobbin case (the only thing missing from the machine Koolranch gave me). I would prefer to sit down and get the hammock done. I have been using my mind meld to computer how I want to do it for some time and I am ready. I don't want to do it only to waste the material because the stitches are to much.

As always thanks for reading and or pitching in.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Can't help with the stitch length.

Make sure you are using the correct type of bobbin for your machine. Somehow I got several of the wrong type of bobbins for my machine and it caused birds nests issues ect ( my local repair shop spotted the problem immediately ).
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    If you have two machines that are showing the same 'symptoms', it seems unlikely that the machines are the problem, IMO.
    As Gunner said, check the bobbins and also make sure the machines are threaded properly. Birdsnest under the fabric is usually a top problem - either tension or the take up lever arm not pulling the stitches tight.

Try stitching slowly, turning the handwheel and watching what happens undrneath - you might get some ideas.

The stitch length adjustment just controls the feed dogs, so usually shouldn't affect stitch formation unless the feed dog timing is messed up - which would be unusual in two machines from different sources.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I don't think 12 per is terrible. I've got mine dialed in at about 8-10 per. I also have the tension set at 1. These light weight materials don't seem to require much tension.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe 8-12 is generally acceptable. 6 is a little on the low side. 15 may be too high. I'd stick with 12.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Can't help with the stitch length.

Make sure you are using the correct type of bobbin for your machine. Somehow I got several of the wrong type of bobbins for my machine and it caused birds nests issues ect ( my local repair shop spotted the problem immediately ).
    I can check, but I only have 2 types of bobbins and one is plastic and the other are metal. Now if the metal bobbin that came with the machine are not the correct ones then I dont know. I would also say I have been using them prior to this without an issue.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    If you have two machines that are showing the same 'symptoms', it seems unlikely that the machines are the problem, IMO.
    As Gunner said, check the bobbins and also make sure the machines are threaded properly. Birdsnest under the fabric is usually a top problem - either tension or the take up lever arm not pulling the stitches tight.

Try stitching slowly, turning the handwheel and watching what happens undrneath - you might get some ideas.

The stitch length adjustment just controls the feed dogs, so usually shouldn't affect stitch formation unless the feed dog timing is messed up - which would be unusual in two machines from different sources.
    I have one machine that I got last year, that I took apart to rewire and clean. I only touched mostly the outer stuff. The only inner stuff I touched was the motor area. I did take the thread tensioner apart to clean.

The second machine I got from koolranch. I havent even touched it. my thoughts are to swap the thread tensioner to see if thats it. My other idea was the bobbin, but that is not with it. I am just trying to get this project done. I actually enjoy the machine stuff. I love the 15-91 and the older machines, I just dont want to swallow the spider to catch the fly at this point.

If 12 per is doable I will run that thru to get my hammock done.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I believe 8-12 is generally acceptable. 6 is a little on the low side. 15 may be too high. I'd stick with 12.
    I also realize that not all machines are equal. I have mostly talked in a general sense because my machine has a lever that I move up and down and lock in place. it has mostly even numbers but when you lock it in place it may be between 6-8. It maybe between 10-12. I never counted the stitches.

There are different types of bobbins, but it isn't metal or plastic. The types some use are more curved on top while the others are flat. I bought some of the wrong type for my wifes machine and they were binding. I figured it out by comparing with the existing ones after slowly rotating it through.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    There are different types of bobbins, but it isn't metal or plastic. The types some use are more curved on top while the others are flat. I bought some of the wrong type for my wifes machine and they were binding. I figured it out by comparing with the existing ones after slowly rotating it through.
    Yes, my curved ones are plastic and my metal ones are straight. If there is a variation of straight ones I would have to check what i have. But my machine belonged to a woman who never wanted to sew and her husband said I work and you sew my clothes. So she put the machine and all the parts in the attic for 65 years. I just use the bobbins it came with. My newer singer didnt have any and I bought the plastic ones.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast