Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Top quilt advice needed....

Hey guys I have a question about a Burrow. First of all, I'm not really a hammock guy. I will be using mine with a pad and tent. With that being said, I'm a frugal guy and only want to order one for now. I live in Kentucky and do most of my backpacking here. So, my temps range from maybe 20* at the lowest to 60* on warmer nights. I know one particular quilt isn't optimal for those ranges but I only have the budget for one. So, do I order a Burrow 20...or maybe a 40 with extra down....or a custom 30? Suggestions? Also, I am 6'2" 245. Pretty big guy. Weight of the quilt isn't an issue because any of them will be less that my current bag. I think I prefer a sewn footbox, but I'm open to any advice. Thanks in advance guys. Also, I'm open to suggestions on brands as well. I've already contacted Hammock Gear with this inquiry and they weren't much help.

Robbie

Sent from my iPad

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Most people here (including me) recommend getting a 20* quilt as being the most versatile. I use mine every night in my house where the temps are in the 60s, and it is not too warm. Sewn footbox is better at the lower end of the temperature range, but snap enclosure makes it easier to vent at the higher end of the temperature range. Most people who use them on the ground recommend getting the wide version.

The other main company that makes down top quilts and participates on this forum is Underground Quilts. Like Hammock Gear, they are very high quality. They have a more interesting color selection, in my opinion, but are a tad more expensive on average.

You can also try Enlightened Equipment.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I like WaffleBox's advice. Also consider using another layer between you and your TQ on nights when it's exceptionally cold. If your temps bottom out at 20* that means you won't be at that temp very often. I haven't invested in quilts for the bottom temps we get around here. Instead I have an extra quilt made from fleece that I use to add about 10* to my setup. So, since we bottom out around 0*, my topquilt is a 20* down bag and I use the fleece mid layer. I have a MYOG 3/4 length underquilt that I'm guessing would get a 20* rating as well. I put my butt pad under my feet, and on very cold nights I put a piece of reflectix under my torso. I've been down to single digits with this setup.

Good luck. Lots of ways to solve this problem. I hope you find one that works well for you.

Brian

• + New Posts