ENO Ignitor first impression from the field

I've seen a few people ask about these in threads before, and this is for whoever searches for it next time.

Last weekend a friend picked a spot for us to go for an overnighter in Black Creek basin in DeSoto National Forest in south Mississippi. I've hung in that basin a few times, and my standing conclusion is that whatever the official low temperature is predicted to be, subtract around 15* F for being cold and wet at 3 a.m.

Since this left me under a week to gear up, I grabbed an ENO Ignitor TQ on Amazon. No special deal or anything, but Prime shipping got it to me in a couple of days. And that's what the situation demanded.

Basic facts according to Amazon & ENO: 750fp Duck Down, rated for 35-45* F. (My UQ is a New River Long, 3-season & rated for 25-60* F.)

Retail price was $229.95, which didn't appear outlandish up against some others I was looking at but was pretty sure couldn't be guaranteed to arrive at my house in 2 business days.

The official predicted low was mid-forties, and the cold & wet came down on us as expected. I bailed on the campfire & hang out part & sacked out around 7 pm, because my hammock was more nice & comfy compared to leeching a little warmth from our little LNT fire.

I was actually quite warm through the night and satisfied.

I really only have one meaningful criticism, and that's the foot box. It's just not how I think I'd have engineered one, although it didn't fail me. I just think this feature could have been implemented slightly better in any of a few different ways.

Also, I'm 6'4" and would have liked it to be maybe an inch or two longer. But considering that I was able to tuck myself under it from head to toe with ease makes me feel like I'm nit picking.

I know some will find it difficult to resist the temptation to add comments just generally pooping on ENO. This is just about what it was like on a cold, wet night in February.

It was here in 2 days, worked fine, and will continue to go with me.
    Last edited by gnosticmoron; 02-09-2015 at 20:46. Reason: run-on sentence

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Not pooping on ENO but you can get a Jacks 'R' Better quilt in within a few days. Theirs are 800 fill power too.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    No poop here. Yeah, prob a little more than you could otherwise get, but like you said, you needed and got it in 2 days (free with Prime I presume).

What's the specific gripe with the foot box?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    What's the specific gripe with the foot box?
    I tried to articulate it in my original post, but had difficulty.

The system used for the foot box employs a combination of velcro, two metal snaps, and a draw string to pull the very end into a bunch. In its most snug position, I can stick a couple of fingers through the hole at the end. HOWEVER, the draw string is more than long enough to simply loop around it and make it nice & tight.

So the gripe is about several extra seconds of really trivial work to close it up good & tight.

I was able to wiggle around my gigantic feet enough to separate the velcro, although this was after over 10 hours of use involving getting in and out several times for the usual reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstar77 View Post
    Not pooping on ENO but you can get a Jacks 'R' Better quilt in within a few days. Theirs are 800 fill power too.
    I did consider a few of theirs, and liked the serape conversion aspect of the Sierra Stealth. It's just not the one I chose.

• + New Posts