Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images

Recipe posts - would a title prefix be helpful?

Would there be benefit in encouraging use of a consistent "recipe" prefix for posts which contain a recipe?

On a recent post I did something like this for the title: "Recipe: Camp Food XYZ" in the hopes it would make the post easier for people to find in future searches.

My thought was a recipe sticky with explicit prefix recommendation and justification for the recommendation (i.e. so we can find your recipe later, even if we don't know who submitted it, or remember what was in it).

Have standards like that been successfully put forward and adopted before (without forcing the prefix issue like in the For Sale forum), or based on past experience is an attempt at this sort of order like herding cats and not worth the effort?

If we had a dedicated "recipe" subforum it might have been sparsely populated and facilitated easy browsing, but with a more general and well-populated "food and recipes" subforum it is a lot easier for the recipes to get lost among the numerous general posts about camp food.

Just a thought. Seems like adoption of a simple naming standard for recipes might make things easier for the foodies going forward.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    "All" you have to do is add the recipe 'tag' to all of the recipe threads and then use the advanced search to search for the tag 'recipe'. A tag can be added when a thread is started or later on by anyone.

So......get busy marking all of the recipe threads (there''s probably only a few hundred to find and tag) and convince everyone that they should tag their new recipe threads in the future (and don't forget to convince each new poster in the following years to follow this convention).

Short version..."an attempt at this sort of order is like herding cats" unless you tag every thread yourself.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Great feature. Better than a title prefix for sure. It's fantastic that metadata that facilitates searches can be added to a thread after the fact, and by anyone.

I just tagged all the recipes I could find from babelfish5 and 1960HikerDude since I knew they posted a lot of them. The "recipe" tag search now gives 2 pages of useful results, up from just a handful, with minimal time invested. I'm not sure who else is a prolific recipe poster, but the low hanging fruit was easy to find so far.

How do you admin guys feel about a very specific sticky in the food and recipes forum describing exactly how and when to tag a "recipe" post, and how to search for posts tagged as a recipe. People could choose if they want to follow the suggestion of tagging or not. Anyone who went along would only improve future tag searches, and others might still choose to tag their posts if the OP didn't bother. I'd be happy to work on a first draft of such a sticky and submit it for collective review and feedback. We don't need to convince everyone to tag. If we educate and convince a handful of people, especially the foodies like the guys I mentioned above, then it should clearly be an improvement over current search capabilities. Any remaining unherdable cat posts will just be harder to find.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Speaking for myself and not as a mod, my experience has been that generally people don't look at the stickies, rules/terms of service and FAQ. But as you say, it only takes a few to tag threads.

Post your recipe tagging suggestion/instruction thread and see if it gets stickied. Even if it doesn't, it will reach several members that may help tag threads and could also be referenced later by those in the know.