DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Its strictly academic. I expect no reward for myself, nor am I pursing one.

But.

If, as you say, there are few who deserve any recognition.

And

If, as has been said above by one of the Mods, work towards keeping this site online deserves a reward

And

If, as has been said above by one of the Mods, $10 is a paltry sum.

And

If there are only 10 people here who can make posts that generate say, 20,000 hits per year (and the percentage of those that might generate a donation), then isn't rewarding such people with access to the "premium content" a small price to pay?

And wouldn't such a policy generate enough interest in producing such content to make it even more worthwhile, perhaps spurring some others to provide content?

And as to Shug and others, their talent deserves reward, both from YouTube (who rewards them for generating hits for that website that are generated by posting the links here on this site) and from this site as well. These are the people I was talking about who have developed a loyal following that generates interest and keeps people coming here after their basic questions are answered. I just think that fostering the efforts of more folks like that would, in the end, be more beneficial to the site than relying on 10,000 noobs showing up every year.

And thanks for mentioning that I have been responsible for at least 28,000 hits on this site. Its nice to know somebody notices. I do note that of those over 4000 hits, one of them is over 7500, another over 8500, and the number of posts between 1000 and 4000 is in double digits.
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-23-2015 at 21:20.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Really.....I am just here 'cause ya'll are a good audience............
    Shug
    That's what it's all about. We enjoy you and you enjoy us!

Sorry for using you as an example, but I just wanted to know how rich you would have become if you were paid per view!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Hits? That's what counts?

Is that the age we live in? Popularity/traffic are the measurements of worth for a niche community (that frankly, no one even gives two shizzles about except us)? That's crazy! If that's what it were about, I'd never have spent more than a few minutes here before moving on, never to return, after the first visit.

It isn't. It's about a group of people doing something different. Being passionate about an alternative method of spending time outdoors. Not only that, but sharing the excitement of what they've learned or discovered with others. I think it is, anyway. I mean, that's why I'm here.

To the seasoned veterans, maybe it's old news. To me, it isn't. To me, it's a fountain of knowledge and goodwill. The latter being the most attractive part.

I WISH I would have been around for the days with Just Jeff and that whole era. I wasn't. I wholeheartedly appreciate it though, and I'm here now. And I appreciate each and every contribution, past, present, or future.

I just like being outside. When I am overnight, I like to sleep in a hammock. For that reason, I feel connected to every one of you here. It's special. Don't let that slip away. Ever.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I hang around here because of conversations like this... ( and Shug's commentary ). Keep up the good work....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    Hits? That's what counts?

Is that the age we live in? Popularity/traffic are the measurements of worth for a niche community (that frankly, no one even gives two shizzles about except us)? That's crazy! If that's what it were about, I'd never have spent more than a few minutes here before moving on, never to return, after the first visit.

It isn't. It's about a group of people doing something different. Being passionate about an alternative method of spending time outdoors. Not only that, but sharing the excitement of what they've learned or discovered with others. I think it is, anyway. I mean, that's why I'm here.

To the seasoned veterans, maybe it's old news. To me, it isn't. To me, it's a fountain of knowledge and goodwill. The latter being the most attractive part.

I WISH I would have been around for the days with Just Jeff and that whole era. I wasn't. I wholeheartedly appreciate it though, and I'm here now. And I appreciate each and every contribution, past, present, or future.

I just like being outside. When I am overnight, I like to sleep in a hammock. For that reason, I feel connected to every one of you here. It's special. Don't let that slip away. Ever.
    That may be our attitude.

But if it were the attitude of the ownership, the donations would be actual donations with all of the money split between the moderators and maintenance.

This is a profit making venture.

And I'm trying to make it more profitable so that it doesn't dry up and blow away when the greater majority of its principal source of hits (noobs) finds most of their information elsewhere.
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-24-2015 at 11:09.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I...And

If, as has been said above by one of the Mods, work towards keeping this site online deserves a reward

And

If, as has been said above by one of the Mods, $10 is a paltry sum...
    Just to be clear...I am the only "Mod" that has replied in this thread and I have said none of those things.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    My apologies.

Both things have been said, I am wrong that a Mod was the one who said them.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 with GoatHanger. Nothing is free in life and as members we pay for the enjoyment of the site. It is done very well and you helped to contribute to the personality and success. Feel proud of what it has become, especially in this era of the net. What happens on the other end is not our business. It is between you and the administrator. If someone wishes to make money doing something they like, go for it. I packed with Dutch, Stormcrow and sr1355 before they were in business. Each one of them are profiting from this site. Glad they are.

On another note, I've been around for a while and still enjoy reading about new ideas, trips and gear. It amazes me to think how far hammocking has come. What great minds out there. It also makes me wonder if I would still be hanging without help. I might still be hanging from an over tightened, bottom entry, HH that was impossible to get in and out off let alone get a pad under. But IMO, the best part about this site is the people that I have become friends with. Lots of good folks around here.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I view it as a donation to a forum I enjoy and I get to meet some real nice 'like minded' folks along the way to share ideas with.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567