SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    It continues to bug the crap out of me that Mfrs like ENO and Grand Trunk sell their hammocks without the straps included. Yeah, you can buy them separate, but a noob shouldn't have to figure that out. How many times have I heard, "ENOs are great, and only $69". Sorry for the daily rant...

I've been wondering how I could hang my tarp with such regulations, and it occurs to me since I hang it high anyway, I can probably piggyback on the 2" hammock straps. Nothing special, just make sure that's where the tarp line wraps. Does this sound viable? Haven't had to worry about it so far, just wondering for future ref.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    It continues to bug the crap out of me that Mfrs like ENO and Grand Trunk sell their hammocks without the straps included. Yeah, you can buy them separate, but a noob shouldn't have to figure that out. How many times have I heard, "ENOs are great, and only $69". Sorry for the daily rant...

I've been wondering how I could hang my tarp with such regulations, and it occurs to me since I hang it high anyway, I can probably piggyback on the 2" hammock straps. Nothing special, just make sure that's where the tarp line wraps. Does this sound viable? Haven't had to worry about it so far, just wondering for future ref.
    More than likely. I'm pretty sure that lilricky had a set up like that, where he put some kind of attachment point onto his straps so that he only had to hang up one set of straps on the trees.

And Hennessy has been using something like that for years now. It causes a few issues with tarp sag, but there are a number of ways to beat that.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Oh, not HH style, tarp lines wrapped on top of straps holding hammock on the tree - so that tarp lines aren't in direct contact with the tree
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

You gotta wonder what mechanical engineering park ranger figured that tarps and hammocks put the same load on the tree and therefore require 2" straps for both.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    You gotta wonder what mechanical engineering park ranger figured that tarps and hammocks put the same load on the tree and therefore require 2" straps for both.
    it's either that or nothing. makes their rules easier to adhere to. Rickets Glen in Pa. does not allow hammocks anymore. Ranger told me he does not have the time and manpower to force people to adhere to rules.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Showing that hammocks are better for the environment is so important. That is why we have to all use and educate people to use at a minimum 1 inch tree straps. Sometime wider in more fragile environments. Don't be shy about telling someone the importance of it because it protects the trees and our right to hang.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    How do you hang your tarp with straps? Do you use cinch buckles?
    I am currently using elephant trunks on 1" straps and a CRL with a loop to hook to the elephant trunk. My ridge line is extra long and has several loops for different tree spacing. It is an over the top ridge line with the tarp attached by pursets.(Did not spell that correctly.) That gives you two means of adjustment.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    it's either that or nothing. makes their rules easier to adhere to. Rickets Glen in Pa. does not allow hammocks anymore. Ranger told me he does not have the time and manpower to force people to adhere to rules.
    Here's hoping they also don't have the manpower to tell people to haul if they're hangin'.
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12