Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First "real" nights out in the NX200

I finally got to spend a significant amount of time in my Clark NX200 (not just afternoon naps in my own yard). It wasn't technically real camping, mind you... My wife and I went up to the La Crosse area, Centerville to be exact, to visit her family for the holiday weekend. As these family gatherings tend to be pretty chaotic and crowded, I happily took along my Clark, hoping that there would be suitable trees on the old family homestead property.
    First night I didn't get to set up until about 10:00pm, using a mini-mag flashlight clenched between my teeth for light, heheh. Between a few micro-brews and the darkensss, the result was a slightly off-center set-up, with the tarp kind of wonky, but as there was no rain in the forecast it was no biggie. I awoke once at about 3:45am needed to answer the call of nature and realized I was a bit chilly. Turns out something slipped in the night and I was pretty much on the ground, which compressed the 2/3 "Leigh's Underquilt". I adjusted things a bit and was fine the remainder of the night. In fact, I slept until 10:30 the next morning! This is HUGE news for anyone who knows me, as I haven't slept past 7:30am in years. My wife was truly impressed.
    Temps for night 1 got down into the upper 40's F, with a fair amount of fog early in the morning.
    Night two I tried out my Wally World blue CCF pad. Within 10 minutes of climbing inside the hammock I was overheating and the pad went bye-bye. The 2/3 down UQ combined with my REI Halo 25 bag kept me happy until morning, with just a touch of chill on my feet being out past the UQ. Wool/synthetic blend socks kept things fine for me.
    Again, temps dipped to the upper 40's F. Plenty of moisture again as well.
    On the third day I decided to rehang everything in the daylight, and got a much more comfortable hang. The third night's sleep was awesome.

All the in-laws thought I was off my rocker sleeping out in the crazy contraption, but I was beyond happy out there! Warm and cozy... peace and quiet, and a nice weekend triple-feature movie...mmmm nice.

I can see I might have to do some careful planning in order to be prepared for the Fall Northern Hang in October. I imagine the temps could get a bit cooler than what I saw over this past weekend. I think the 2/3 length UQ combined with the CCF pad would be enough... but I'm a tad worried.

n0thing

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    Clark
    Why did you buy a clark?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice story.
    Get the end of that 1/2 UQ tightened up and cut your ccf pad into two pieces .... one for under your feet and if you carry the second half just to be sure then it is back up for if you need something under your buttocks. Also works as a camp seat, a kneeling pad for cooking and such, a pad to stand on when changing etc..... The dirty half, so to speak. Also easier to adjust the two piece under you in my opinion.
    With that you should be OK on the northern Hang. Just don't skimp on a good polar fleece 200 weight shirt and a down vest or jacket. Evenings get cool .... but once you crawl in all is delightful. Hot water in a Nalgene bottle really is great back up in the cold. I use a hard one and put it in a big baggie to give me piece of mind. Never been wet! Also ... warmish water in the morning. In winter I have to sleep with water or I have a block of Nalgene shaped ice in a bottle.
    Snug Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
    Why did you buy a clark?
    I liked the feature set of the Clarks. It seemed to me to fit what I wanted as far as size, included features, etc. And I got a good deal on it here in the 4 Sale section.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Nice story.
    Get the end of that 1/2 UQ tightened up and cut your ccf pad into two pieces .... one for under your feet and if you carry the second half just to be sure then it is back up for if you need something under your buttocks. Also works as a camp seat, a kneeling pad for cooking and such, a pad to stand on when changing etc..... The dirty half, so to speak. Also easier to adjust the two piece under you in my opinion.
    With that you should be OK on the northern Hang. Just don't skimp on a good polar fleece 200 weight shirt and a down vest or jacket. Evenings get cool .... but once you crawl in all is delightful. Hot water in a Nalgene bottle really is great back up in the cold. I use a hard one and put it in a big baggie to give me piece of mind. Never been wet! Also ... warmish water in the morning. In winter I have to sleep with water or I have a block of Nalgene shaped ice in a bottle.
    Snug Shug
    Thanks! Good info to have... I'll browse my belongings and see what I can piece together. Should be able to come up with a versatile collection of pieces that would cover me for the weekend.

n0thing

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Get the end of that 1/2 UQ tightened up
    What Shug said. Just adjust the shockcord running acrosse the end until it is lightly sealed against the hammock. On the Clark you can eliminate a lot of the shockcord on the ends by tying short pieces to the 4 black tie out tabs (2 on each side) and get (4) Niteize S-biners #1 size or JRB mini biners. Both of these are very light and will allow you to just clip in your UQ and eliminate having to adjust each time you hang.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I understand about getting away from the in-laws. We have a week long beach trip every year and 10-20 people go. I almost always end up setting up the ENO Double underneath the beach house, attached to the stilts. Great sleep listening to the ocean! They all think i'm crazy. Maybe I am.
    Last edited by eflat7; 09-10-2009 at 07:14. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Crazy like a fox, baby!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    I understand about getting away from the in-laws. We have a week long beach trip every year and 10-20 people go. I almost always end up setting up the ENO Double underneath the beach house, attached to the stilts. Great sleep listening to the ocean! They all think i'm crazy. Maybe I am.
    LOVE sleeping on the beach... nothing more peaceful than the sound of the ocean....

• + New Posts