Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie tarp suspension questions

I am new to the hammock and tarps, and backpacking in general actually, and I am working on sorting everything out with the mass of info available here. I plan to get a tadpole tarp and I am trying to figure out how I should hang this thing. I have seen several ways to do it but I'm not sure where to begin. I don't think I want to go with a continuous ridgeline at this point and minimal hardware would be nice if possible. Also, I am not sure what type of cord is best for hanging and guy outs. If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Here's what I did.
    I got a superfly tarp, and all those questions were running thru my head as well.
    Continuous ridgeline, over or under, or just the ends...how long should the ridge line be, etc.
    So I went to Home depot and got some masons line for $5 just to play around before I got my actual ridge line. (Masons line won't hold up as an actual ridge line).
    Once I got an idea of what I liked, I ordered up some zing-it to use as my ridge line.

With that said, my current configuration is a continuous ridge line, with the tarp hanging under the ridgeline. This keeps water from funneling down the line and onto my hammock when it rains. My tarp connects to the ridge line via a prussik knot.

And don't worry too much on your decision. Most everybody tries all the various ways at some point, then we pick the one we like.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a few setups but the simplest method I have is a dutch hook spliced to a length of zing it (approx. 12 ft) to wrap around the tree. At the center guy outs the tarp has a continuous loop that is connected with a larks head and then a prussik knot to the line going out to the tree. It's a pretty simple connection to make and can be modified if you aren't into splicing. It also acts a pretty good drip line for the tarp. The pic shows how it's done and the prussik is adjusted close to the dutch hook for showing the connection only. I usually leave it closer to the other end of the line for ease of setup. This is on a cuben fiber tarp so I don't need any tensioners for the ground tie outs and they are done the same with the exception of removing the dutch hook and just putting a fixed eye loop on the end. It would be fairly easy to tie in a piece of shock cord on the ground tie outs.
    DSC00992 (800x600).jpg
    Last edited by Jay77gunn; 02-10-2015 at 23:19.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this up.....
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm a fan of Dejoha's technique using hardware. It requires an initial investment, but it's the easiest way to hang an hammock tarp that I've found.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here is my set-up:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ding-more-line

Very versatile. Reasonably light. And super easy to use. Check out Dutchwaregear.com in any case. I don't know how people can still hang their tarps without Dutch bling

Thanks guys! This is all really helpful and I like the idea of getting some mason line and messing around with some of these different ways. Shug I ended up looking at those videos right after I posted this and I was into the timberline "knot" you showed,that is right up my alley! Thanks for all of your videos they are all pretty great. The dejoha's method linked also looks great and not that complicated for this newb and I like the ability to adjust easily. Now I just need to order up my tarp and some cord and get to experimenting.

• + New Posts