Hi folks, took some pics as i went along when making my latest UQ on Sunday.
I know how we all love our DIY posts here so, no matter how many there are, we seem to always want/need more.
I've made a few before but always from scavenged down/feathers, but for this one i bought 1 lb of cheap (Chinese) 850 fill goose down (95%)
This is my extremely non technical winging-it guide
77" of Green Argon 67 from Dutch
74" of Black Argon 90 from Dutch
baffles made from dress making netting
usual grosgain used for the edging
and shock cord for suspension
1 lb of cheap 850 fp (apparently) goose down (forgot to take a pic of the bag before i used it).
Id ordered 2 yrds of each and was going to use the 90 on the outer but as the green came a few inches longer and this was always going to be a tight cut, i went with the longer for the outer.
1. layout and mark and cut the material for width and length, my green (now outer) layer i cut to 55" wide, nothing off the length (77" from Dutch)
2. layout and mark and cut the material for width and length, my black (now inner) layer i cut to 47" wide, nothing off the length (74" from Dutch - seriously man, thanks for the extra couple inches, really really helped!)
3. on the inner shell, marked 1" in from each side, then marked 8 lines 5" wide all the way across the bottom.
my crap chalk wouldnt draw on the material and at this point i thought to hell with this detailed caper, im just going to wing it, like i usually do.
4. on the outer shell, marked 10 lines ( i think- this part really melted my brains) 5" wide all the way across the bottom.
my marks were literally just a couple inch long of whatever mark i could get the chalk to make...
no pics of this either.. odd
5. i was aiming for 9 channels length ways. so had to cut 8 baffles, 3.5" wide, to allow some room for when i was injecting them onto the shell.
i was going to measure 3.5 all the way across then i caught myself on.
how wide is my hand? about 3.5"! happy days, ill just cut the width of my hand on the netting.
6. get stitching! i find the 1st baffle edge to be the hardest and most important (my way). carefully stitch it on, following the ripstop grid lines for accuracy lol.
for the next baffles, simply line it up on teh 1" mark you made along the edge of your shell, take a rough eyeguess at how far from its edge to the next sewn baffle, keep that distance about the same as best you can and stitch it down.
not bad! for no guide lines
7. the easy part! join the 2 shell outers together with the baffles...
i roll the side that doesnt have baffling on it yet up, and have it to the right in my thread injector.
the side with the baffles on it stays to the left, as you progress through the baffles the material feeds through and hopefully you dont skip a baffle! done that before...
repeat until done
to be continued... (15 pic limit)