Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I watched RevHiker's video review of the Sub7 and I got excited. However, that enthusiasm was tempered by all the negative comments about it's diminutive size, so I was initially hesitant to purchase one. Then I realized that my Hennessy Hyperlite, which I've been sleeping in for years, is only 100" x 48" (33.3 sq ft) and the Eno Sub7 is 105" x 47" (34.27sq ft). Granted, the Hyperlite is asymmetrical, but the space and weight savings of the Sub7 is hard to ignore, so I ordered one to see for myself. It should arrive Monday.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I received the Sub7 a couple days early. I refitted the Sub7 with a whoopie hook suspension from Dutchware. The Sub7, whoopie slings w/hooks, tree huggers, and Dutch clips...total weight 9 oz. The lay is very similar to my Hennessy Hyperlite, but it really needs a field test to give it a proper review.

Concerning the size. I'm 5'8" 170 and the Hyperlite has always been my go to hammock, so adjusting to the Sub7 shouldn't be an issue, but I can see how a taller/larger person would be cramped.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I can't wait to try one out. Might have to wait a few months though. As for camping in my eno, it's not my first choice, but has saved my keister a couple of times. Once when the ridgeline broke in my Hennessey, and another just recently when I was relegated to camping inbetween the steel beams of a state park bench. It was too small to hang the Hennessey, but my doublenest fit right in there. I always bring it along as a 'camp chair' as I can put it up and take it down just about as fast as dragging around one of those foldout chairs, and it's way more comfortable. In both cases I ended up spending multiple nights in the ENO and nary an issue. Well, one issue, but that was because one of the guys thought it would be a good idea to string up some led lighting at the park bench I was stuck at. I had to wait about 5 mins after the lights went out just to string up the hammock due to all of the bugs. I have a junglenest that I will be taking along now as my camp chair/backup, but looking forward to getting my hands on a sub7.

I am no hammock expert but I have been using one (eno DN) for a few years on and off including backpacking. When I saw this thing at REI I was intrigued, so I decided to give it a try. So far so good! I have obviously had to adjust some things from my DN but I have slept straight thru 3 nights without any problems or discumfort. By the way I am 6' and 175lb. It is small but that hasn't proven to be a problem just yet. I can't wait to get my whoopie slings in from Dutch, they should be here next week! That should bring me down to somewhere around 8-9oz total! That's around half the weight of my DN by its self!

Hammock
    Custom Dutch 8'x4'
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben Asym
    Insulation
    WM Everlite pod
    Suspension
    Simply 7/64
    Wow this forum hates on ENO. I don't sleep diagonal so they work great for me. The ProNest was my first hammock and i used it A LOT for about 5 years. I literally lived in it for months on end. And the ProNest is only 8 feet long. I am 6'1".
    So when i decided to go lighter, i stuck with ENO and got the Sub7. Without the stock loops and biners it is about 5.2oz for the hammock. I traded out the suspension for Amsteel loops, whoopie hooks and 15ft straight lines (not slings) on each end.
    My whole system is now insanely light.

ENO Sub7 with complete suspension 7.2oz
    WM Everlite, Pod style over hammock 14.5oz
    MYOG Cuben Asym Tarp w/Lash-It lines 4.9oz
    Exped Air Pillow M 2.8oz

.....Thats 29.4oz, including my stupid pillow haha. I have slept very comfortably in this system down to a breezy 35 with just 150wt merino base layers and a light knit merino beanie.
    For colder weather i would wear my Arcteryx Cerium LT Vest (4.2oz) WM Flash booties (3oz) and Sportful HotPack Ultralight Jacket (1.8oz). Not tested overnight but i wouldn't be too worried about 20-25 degrees. A down balaclava would be a good idea but i don't camp enough below freezing to justify it.
    No i don't use tree straps. No i don't scar trees. and No i don't use a bug net. Feel free to inquire.
    I may be a bit of a weirdo but for me this system makes no compromises on comfort or ease of use.

All Smiles

Hammock
    DIY. Also have ENO for backup.
    I have owned and used both an ENO single next and Sub7. Not crazy about the single nest - the 3 piece construction with the pieces sewn the length of the hammock really annoyed me. The points where the fabric was sewn always felt tight and uncomfortable. On the other hand, all my buddies that have ENO's don't have the same complaint.
    My Sub7 is pretty good. I'm a short guy, though (5'6"), so I could see it not being for everyone. I immediately swapped the default suspension with a set of whoopies I picked up from BIAS. It's currently my main hang for lightweight backpacking.
    "If a hammocker falls out of his hammock, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I just got a Sub 7 this weekend to go with my 2 doublenests and Claytor Jungle Hammock. It is small but I'm 6'4 220 and I think I could make it work. I bought it for a day hike hammock because it is super tiny when packed and weighs so little. I would like to test it out sometime for an overnight and see how it goes. When I do I'll report back.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    GT DBL, GT Nano 7, ENO-DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    will sew DownThrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/HFstraps
    I've got a Grand Trunk Nano 7, a very similar hammock, with longish 6' whoopies, cheap 8' Harbor Freight straps, AL toggles from broken hiking pole. I could lighten it all up some but it's 10.2 oz and can fit in a jacket pocket. While I've never used this overnight it's wonderful to leave in my work bag to take on a lunch break for a quick hang at a park, bring on a dayhike, etc. My wife also finds it more comfortable than our other double-nest type hammocks as there's less material in one's face. In short I'm saying don't rule these small hammock out - they are handy to have.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirishness View Post
    I sleep overnights in an ENO DN and sleep pretty well in it.
    +1

with the addition of a ridgeline and a suspension upgrade a DN is a very comfortable hammock. it would be a switch for me to go to a small hammock such as the sub 7 since I am accustomed to being able to roll over several times without running out of hammock. if it works comfort wise why not use it?
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Wow this forum hates on ENO. I don't sleep diagonal so they work great for me. The ProNest was my first hammock and i used it A LOT for about 5 years. I literally lived in it for months on end. And the ProNest is only 8 feet long. I am 6'1".
    So when i decided to go lighter, i stuck with ENO and got the Sub7. Without the stock loops and biners it is about 5.2oz for the hammock. I traded out the suspension for Amsteel loops, whoopie hooks and 15ft straight lines (not slings) on each end.
    My whole system is now insanely light.

ENO Sub7 with complete suspension 7.2oz
    WM Everlite, Pod style over hammock 14.5oz
    MYOG Cuben Asym Tarp w/Lash-It lines 4.9oz
    Exped Air Pillow M 2.8oz

.....Thats 29.4oz, including my stupid pillow haha. I have slept very comfortably in this system down to a breezy 35 with just 150wt merino base layers and a light knit merino beanie.
    For colder weather i would wear my Arcteryx Cerium LT Vest (4.2oz) WM Flash booties (3oz) and Sportful HotPack Ultralight Jacket (1.8oz). Not tested overnight but i wouldn't be too worried about 20-25 degrees. A down balaclava would be a good idea but i don't camp enough below freezing to justify it.
    No i don't use tree straps. No i don't scar trees. and No i don't use a bug net. Feel free to inquire.
    I may be a bit of a weirdo but for me this system makes no compromises on comfort or ease of use.

All Smiles
    Don't sleep on diagonal, don't use tree straps, don't use bugnet - got it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast