Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'm sorry you haven't been able to locate a good setup from the cottage vendors. Perhaps you should start a new thread about that?

My point was that this is a thread about the ENO sub7, and it would appear that you might have missed that.
    I've located several GREAT setups from cottage vendors. But they're spendy.

You stated in your post how expensive ENO is, and implied it a waste of money. I was countering it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    "All alone in the night, I had my own thoughts..." ~Kerouac, On the Road

"Help me mamma, for I have grinned..."

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just picked up a second sub7 to keep with me pretty much all the time, it's so light. I find it to be a very comfortable hammock for sleeping, so I imagine it will be the same for lounging.

One thing I like about ENO actually IS the price. Because they are mass produced, with just a little internet savvy and/or patience, you can always find them way below MSRP or gently used. I just picked up the sub 7 and Helios straps new on eBay for $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DelayedNeutron View Post
    I've located several GREAT setups from cottage vendors. But they're spendy.

You stated in your post how expensive ENO is, and implied it a waste of money. I was countering it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Oh, I totally misunderstood. Well, still not going to talk specifically about "setup" in a thread about a specific hammock, but I will offer my less than $20 Grand Trunk of similar dimensions and weight and add climbing caribiners for $4 each. There you go, same basic hammock for at least $40 less.

As far as cottage makes go, its really difficult to make a good comparison of apples to apples because its so hard to find a sub 9' hammock. Best I could do is a 9' one at Simply Light Designs for $28, but equivalent with loops and biners would be about $42, plus shipping. Comparable weight, more hammock, both length and width, and again, less money.

From this point, your setup can go in multiple directions based on camping style, needs, wants, budget, etc. Its really difficult to compare setups for reasons that certain aspects (like weight) matter greatly to some, and not to others like yourself. The hammock part of the setup is really basic. For the netless variety, a small $20 hammock is likely to perform about as well as the sub7, maybe even as well as a more expensive, bigger hammock. A lot of us have had shorter hammocks before and going longer and/or wider made a positive difference. Because its directly where you sleep, its a very personal choice based on what works for you. Other parts of the system can vary in price based on what your wants and needs are. No one should be panned for covering there own wants and needs, no matter how exaggerated or minimal they might be.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    DelayedNeutron does not have a Sub7. His comments have been about ant ENO bias and how his bargain kit compares to cottage vendor kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Just looking at hammock + suspension you have the ENO Sub7 + Helios Suspension System at $104.90 and 10.6 ounces and a Dutchware 11ft Hexon 1.0 hammock with whoopie hook suspension and polyester tree huggers for $81 and 11.1 ounces.

So for $23.90 savings in cost you add half an ounce in weight but get a longer hammock.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks,

Keep your comments and responses focused on the ENO sub7 and NOT ENO in general. If you wish to discuss ENO brand in general feel free to open a new thread in the ENO section. Any further "thread drift" will be removed from this thread.

Thank you
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, DH's, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Swag
    I love it for daypack lounging in the mountains

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    The ENO Sub7 is made from 70D Nylon Taffeta Ripstop according to their website. That's about a 1.9 ripstop I believe. Imagine how much lighter the Sub7 could be if they used a 1.1 or 1.0 fabric. Probably the decrease in weight limit would cut sales...and too many returns from people ripping it.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    The sub 7 is pretty cool. My son has one, and I like to take it out for rests, when I go back packing at 10 oz.s for it and the suspension, it makes a good gear sling. I carry it when the ground is soggy, sometimes I don't but it doesn't weigh that much-to me, to bring in addition to my hammock for sleeping
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    Old ENO
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Love this guy! Shug's attitude about life and hammocking is worth repeating.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I took my sub 7 out this week for my first overnight test. I am 6"4 210 so I am pushing the limits a bit but I have been working hard on getting my pack weight down. I set it up at Doll Flats on the AT with a hammock gear underquilt. I slept very well in it but my feet did fall out a few times and it wasn't a flat lay. I'm going to stick with it until I buy something light with a bug net like a half wit.

The sub 7 is a solid lightweight option for me and I'll use it for backpacking trips where I am not too worried about bugs.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast