Tweaks/Mods to a Speer kit?

Hi All

I am about to put together a Speer hammock kit that I bought several years ago and has been gathering dust since.

I have used a Hennessy in the past ( I don't recall if it was a ultra or hyperlite model). I was pretty happy with that hammock. I decided to try out the Speer type because I thought I would like to see how I like a top entry setup. Sometimes the Hennessy just seemed a bit of pain to get things situated inside of and the non detachable bug net was a bother at times also.

So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for tweaks or mods to the Speer that I might consider?

I do really like the structural ridge line on the Hennessy, ( admittedly I don't have experience without one, but it seemed to take a bit of the guess work out of setup.)

Are there better ways of forming the ends?

I have a Jacks R Better underquilt too, I could never really get the thing rigged to my satisfaction, (I generally ended up with cold feet and other cold spots too) but if there is something I could do when making this kit that would help with the deployment of the underquilt that would be great to know about.

All ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I put a double bottom on my speer DIY and really like it! I left the ends open, and put an elastic drawstring across the ends, so you can cinch the end shut. (or leave it open on a hot day, for cooling)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Structural ridgelines are easy...I put them on all of my hammocks. Add a gear organizer to the ridgeline, too. And make a Blackbishop bag. I like the two-layer hammock recommendation as well, if you use pads.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    On my double layer hammock, I made the bottom layer kind of baggey, so you can put an underquilt inside without compressing the insulation. its not structural, you could make it out of really light material to save weight! Also, on the newest versions of the sewing directions on Eds website, he makes the ridge line with a small hook, so you can unhook the line. It also has a small bungee loop to keep the line tensioned. There are so many things you could do----------good luck!

Just Jeff can you direct me to a conversation about how to go about building in a structural ridge?

Stevebo, I have used a ccf pad in the Hennessy and I seemed to get all tangled up in it so the idea of a double bottom for the pad makes sense. I like the idea of using a double bottom for the underquilt even better, are there any step by step directions for building this type of set up?

Thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well, its a work in progress...........I built mine this summer, but I havnt tried it out with an underquilt yet. As far as plans go, I just kind of winged it-(somthing I do alot!) If you like I could send you some photos, it was pretty easy to make and didnt add much weight. I have to work the next 3 days, but after that I will have time to take some pictures. I have a feeling that this configuration has the potential to work out really great---you could do all kinds of things with it, a sleeping quilt with a space blanket, or with a dead air space underneath etc. etc. I used it this summer during very hot weather, and with the 2 drawstrings open on the ends, there was lots of ventalation for cooling. Let me know if you want any pictures-------Anyway, Im happy with it!

Oh yeah, I know you can save a few grams by whipping the ends instead of using a speer knot, but the knot never fails, and the knowing it has a zero percent failure rate is worth carrying a little extra weight. I like to sleep at night, and I dont want to worry about the hammock end knot coming loose. So, in my opinion, I wouldnt mess with a really good trail proven design!

Thanks for the link Jeff. Good descriptions.

The only issue I had when I made my Speer was with the whipping. I could never get it to feel right using the ziptie or knot method. One side ended up higher than the other or it was too tight at the ends so I tried this mod instead

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8641

where you sew a tube (double stitching) and run your line through.

It spreads my hammock out a little more at the ends and fits my Exped Synmat pad better.
    Personal preference for me.

• + New Posts