DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

1/2" webbing for bridge hammocks

I'm getting ready to try my first DIY bridge and have been researching sources for the 1/2" polyester webbing commonly used along the sides. Is there a minimum breaking strength I need to look for? Do I need something with a breaking strength >1000lb, comparable to the amsteel used in the rest of the suspension, or is there less force at work here? Strapworks has 1/2" polyester with a 1800lb breaking strength (600lb working load) and a polypro with a 450lb breaking strength (150lb working load). Considerable price difference (.41/ft vs. .13/ft), but I'm assuming I need the heavier stuff. Any other good sources besides Strapworks? I saw some at DIY Gear Supply, but it was white.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There are two sides, so two straps, plus you're rolling the fabric around the webbing, so you have 3 layers of fabric reinforcing each strap. I'd say that makes the polypro strong enough. Others may disagree, though, so do what you feel comfortable with.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have used Strapworks' 1/2" polyester webbing and the 1/2" tubular polyester webbing from DIYGear.

Personally I would avoid polypropylene. It is only marginally strong enough, has low abrasion resistance (think about the connection to the spreaders and suspension triangles) and only saves ~$3.00-$4.75 on a bridge hammock. I don't want to be thinking about the webbing end connections a year after I made it for $3.00-$4.75.

I prefer the tubular DIYGear webbing. It is soft and easier to sew through multiple layers.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I used the polyester from Strapworks in mine .. Lower stretch, more abrasion resistance, less water absorption . Take advantage of their grab bag offering too ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts