Tarp
    HH Hex 70D Sym
    Insulation
    HG TQ 20 / UQ 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Help me find good setup

So, recently I have been thinking about getting a good hammok setup
    I have a kammok, and slept well in that despite sunburned knees( I am a side sleeper)
    I am doing lots of backpacking this summer, I am a boy scout and doing philmont (A 80 or so 12 day trek in New Mexico), and a treck in Evolution valley in Yosemite.
    I have several good down sleeping bags, and wayyyyyy to many pads, I have thermarest (The thin ones), and the big new ones that take a ton of air to blow up. (One of my sleeping bags has a minimalist bottom, and a slot to slide in a pad)
    I have a one man rei passage one, which probably has a weight of about 4 pounds.
    I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good setup.
    Couple requirments though.
    I will no matter what eventually hike and camp in the rain, and heavy rain
    I want to be comfortable
    And a low weight is very nice
    So I was thinking about getting the Warbonnet ridge runner and superfly.
    Is this a good setup?
    And when I add the ridgeline and all that stuff, what will the final weight be?
    Any other hammock reccomendations? I kinda like the bridge style hammocks cause they look good for side sleepers
    Overall I just want a hammock that is light, comfortable, and perferably not too much money.
    Tarp I want something that can provide great wind and heavy rain protectin from all angles and with rain coming from any angle. I would like to keep the weight low, probably max less than 4 pounds.
    Also, if I could somehow use a recommended setup to sleep on the ground and have something over my head and under me in case of inclimate weather (Not nessesity)
    THANKS
    Sorry its so long

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a good place to start some perusing.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Hammock-Setups

Here is a look at a RidgeRunner. Heavier than gathered end hammocks due to the poles. Some replace those with hiking pole mods.
    Carry forth and have fun discovering....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Shug is the reason I went with a Wilderness Logics hammock. While i'm a little heavy for the single layer Snipe, I would suggest that or the double layer Night Owl with either a Tadpole or a Bullfrog tarp. With just those two items you'll be set for life and cannot possibly go wrong.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It seems to me that the more requirements you place on your hammock setup, the heavier it will be (and more costly, coincidentally).

1. Hammock best for side sleeper - Personally, I don't think this is a good requirement to have because a hammock isn't a bed - they don't even remotely look alike. I'm a side sleeper in a bed, but a back sleeper in a hammock. I'd rather modify my sleeping behavior than purchase an expensive and heavier bridge hammock.
    2. Sounds like you want a hammock that works well with pads - you're probably going to want a double layer hammock (more weight, more cost) to manage the pad.
    3. A hammock that works well as a ground setup - looks like you're stuck with a hammock that has an integrated bugnet. Double layer hammocks with integrated bugnets will weigh more than simple, gathered end hammocks, plus you'll have to carry a ground sheet to protect the hammock (more weight). You're also probably going to have to carry hiking poles (more weight).
    4. Four-season tarp with doors - I certainly agree with having a tarp with doors like the Superfly. Wind and blowing rain is no fun - I'll gladly take the weight penalty for better weather protection.

I definitely don't share requirements 1 through 3 with you because they're incompatible with my weight and cost requirements. I'm a huge fan of simple, gathered end hammocks. You can buy a Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock for less than $35 (add $39 for Whoopie Hook suspension) that will weigh 13.6 ounces. Add a Fronkey-style bugnet for $45 and 5,5 ounces. That's 19.1 ounces and $119.

Now compare that to a DL Ridgerunner: 26.5 ounces and 12 ounces for the spreader bars and you're at 38.5 ounces and $195. Requirements 1 through 3 made you pay 40% more for your setup, and it weighs 50% more.

Food for thought.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesd848 View Post
    So, recently I have been thinking about getting a good hammok setup
    I have a kammok, and slept well in that despite sunburned knees( I am a side sleeper)
    I am doing lots of backpacking this summer, I am a boy scout and doing philmont (A 80 or so 12 day trek in New Mexico), and a treck in Evolution valley in Yosemite.
    I have several good down sleeping bags, and wayyyyyy to many pads, I have thermarest (The thin ones), and the big new ones that take a ton of air to blow up. (One of my sleeping bags has a minimalist bottom, and a slot to slide in a pad)
    I have a one man rei passage one, which probably has a weight of about 4 pounds.
    I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good setup.
    Couple requirments though.
    I will no matter what eventually hike and camp in the rain, and heavy rain
    I want to be comfortable
    And a low weight is very nice
    So I was thinking about getting the Warbonnet ridge runner and superfly.
    Is this a good setup?
    And when I add the ridgeline and all that stuff, what will the final weight be?
    Any other hammock reccomendations? I kinda like the bridge style hammocks cause they look good for side sleepers
    Overall I just want a hammock that is light, comfortable, and perferably not too much money.
    Tarp I want something that can provide great wind and heavy rain protectin from all angles and with rain coming from any angle. I would like to keep the weight low, probably max less than 4 pounds.
    Also, if I could somehow use a recommended setup to sleep on the ground and have something over my head and under me in case of inclimate weather (Not nessesity)
    THANKS
    Sorry its so long
    You may want to double check, but its my understanding that hammocks are prohibited at Philmont.

Of course, this is only a reason to add a tent to your gear.

You may want to add a merit badge and DIY your hammock, quilts, and tarp.

Best advice I can give is spend the least amount of money on your hammock and reserve the lion's share of available funds for quilts and tarp. You can get away with your down bag as a Top Quilt, but pads are a poor substitute for a decent Underquilt in colder weather.

EDIT TO ADD:

If you don;t want to DIY, the next best for a hammock is one of Dutch's:

http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-hammock.html

A suspension kit:

http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-buckl...nsion-kit.html

A Fronkey Bug Net:

http://dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html

A Hennessey Hex tarp:

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...70d_polyester/

and an AHE Underquilt:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ic_Quilts.html
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-13-2015 at 11:15.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jamesd848 - just a short note that Philmont is not allowing hammock camping on their treks - too many Scouts going on the same path, lots of concern about LNT principles and damage to higher elevation trees. Additionally, you may find that many of the locations that you want to hike in Yosemite will have limited locations to hang (especially if you're making camp with a group).

I think that the idea of going with a hammock that works with a pad instead of an underquilt might be a great fit for you for these reasons - you can use the tarp and your hiking poles. You might want to consider a small bivy, like the SOL emergency bivy, as part of your kit for locations where you won't be able to set up your hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    Jamesd848 - just a short note that Philmont is not allowing hammock camping on their treks - too many Scouts going on the same path, lots of concern about LNT principles and damage to higher elevation trees. Additionally, you may find that many of the locations that you want to hike in Yosemite will have limited locations to hang (especially if you're making camp with a group).

I think that the idea of going with a hammock that works with a pad instead of an underquilt might be a great fit for you for these reasons - you can use the tarp and your hiking poles. You might want to consider a small bivy, like the SOL emergency bivy, as part of your kit for locations where you won't be able to set up your hammock.
    A Lawson, while they do have issues, might do in a pinch:

http://www.lawsonhammock.com/

But it does beat a Clark price-wise:

http://www.junglehammock.com/featured-products/

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I am curious. Why are you changing hammocks. If you were comfortable and slept good in the one you have why not just us it? As far as a tarp i really like my superfly, the doors are worth the extra weight to me.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I sleep on my side my hammocks... don't see the need for a bridge hammock
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Lots of great responses here and I agree with everything that's been said, including the question of why you think you don't have a good setup now? Because you don't have a tarp and that's how you got sunburned knees?!? (just kidding, but seems you don't have a tarp, right?)

It does sound like you have a real need for "go to ground" capability and agreed that you want a net of some sort. The Lawson looks like a great setup for that, but I don't see why the Ridgerunner couldn't be used the same way. Just need a line of some sort to attach the net to. That obviously won't work on the beach like the Lawson pic, but where you would mostly camp I don't think would be an issue. Just need one tree and one pole for the line only.

The main difference between getting the Lawson and the RR with a superfly is going to be the closed in nature of how you camp in the Lawson vs. the ability to be "open" in the SF. That may sound counter to what you want in terms of weather protection, but you will soon learn that if you're in the trees, the possibility of sideways angle rain is fairly remote. As a result, I'm almost always in "porch mode" so I can see out. And in the a.m. after a rain when I'm packing up, there's a nice bright hex shape on the ground that is my protected dry space - and I didn't need walls to get it.

I don't know how big you are now, but size is also an issue in that the Lawson is relatively small. The RR is gargantuan by comparison. With the SF, its a full pound+ lighter.

If you want to go cheaper, keep your Kammok, get a net like this where you wrap it around you like a bivy on the ground - get the summer version and can reverse it in a hammock to use as a winter overcover - then get a hex tarp of whichever size you prefer (don't forget the Dutchware stingers for ridgeline, and various options for tarp guylines).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast