HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings

looking for input, high frequency hanger opinions

Hey there looking for some input, and making sure I'm headed down the right track.

I'm currently hanging in a HH exped asym zip. My current main use is for work, which can either be setup in a basecamp sort of style for up to a week, or traveling site to site. In the latter case, I need to either set up very quickly so I can assist my clients, or I end up setting up after dark, which means it needs to be dead simple, and reliable.
    So I need something that is a set and leave, won't require adjustments once hung, but also is light and fast. Fast most of all. I also Find that I'm hanging under some really big trees, so the stock straps are not handling it, I've made some different extenders and other sorts of things, but ended up with nylon by accident so I'm re-starting that project.

I've ordered some webbing and g-clips from Simon, I plan to make two 3 meter straps which should give me some good tree diameter options, plus some extra for those really long hangs (gum trees suck, so sometimes I have to make due with poor tree placement to avoid them, I also loose out to the ground sleepers sometimes, and the best spot is also aways the flattest somehow) My thought at the moment is the stitch a loop with a descender ring into one end of each strap, and use that as a wear point for the stock rope. I've been using a munter hitch as my tension setting knot and its been working very well, but I don't want to do that straight through the webbing.

Ideally that should keep everything contained, I'll loose the weight of the biners I've been using (not much, they are the little metolius ones) but trade that for longer straps. At this point I think I'll hold off on doing any sort of conversion on the rope, as it doesn't seem to provide any advantage for what I'm doing.

Any thoughts? am I way off base? is there a severe wear point in the system that I'm missing? Would I get even more advantage by swapping to a full webbing system? and are the g-clips/adutchables useful in that mode?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    What I did to my HH was add a Readystrap Lock And Load at each end. Scroll down here:

http://www.readystrap.com/rst_010.htm

Simply tie them to the stock rope through the loop and us the cinch buckle for you new tree straps.

Then get a pair of aluminum Dutch Clips:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/dutch-clips/

Here's the system in use:

When packing, just slip the strap from the Dutch Clip and leave it on the strap. I make two double ended stuff sacks like these:

http://godgunspoliticsandhammockcamp...pawn-bags.html

to stuff the straps into. The head end of the hammock is marked with the green cord you see in the pics. When I reach in my pack, I grab the bag that has the green cord on it and pull it out, then undo the cord on the Knight bag and wrap the strap around the tree, repeat the process on the other end and I'm done in about a minute.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    interesting stuff. So you don't find that the cinch buckles chew up the webbing? I was under the (possibly false) impression that cinch buckles were not ideal for long hangs, and that they may wear the webbing more quickly than some other methods. I know strap wear isn't a concern to most, and I won't likely run into it as a problem, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I rig on Cranes for a living and his system looks like it has a low friction too the straps. The Dutch clips look like a quick choker rig.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    I opted for g-clips instead of dutch-clips under the idea that they should stay stuck to the webbing more easily (I don't want to risk dropping one in the dark) As far as tying the rope straight to the webbing, that for me looks like a very high wear point, since that is where I will be doing most of the adjusting, hence using rings.
    I'm thinking that stage two for the system, when I need to retire the stock rope would be whoopies and dutch buckles, or that sort of thing.

• + New Posts