Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Silnylon vs. Poly and other ???

Hi going to be getting a hammock in the following month or so, what would y'all recommend for 90% camping in Texas and some hunting in western states? At 6'2" and 240# I'm not real worried about an ultralite

I keep seeing silnylon and poly for the tarps, what's the difference and which is better at repelling water? Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Poly tarps are heavier than silnylon, which is fine if you're not a hiker. They're also cheaper than silnylon. Poly tarps also don't stretch when wet, a quality I appreciate. As for water repellency, silnylon can sometimes mist during heavy rain. However, I'd still call poly and silnylon about equal in water repellency.

There's also cuben fiber, which is a non-stretch high-tech fabric that is the most ultralight tarp fabric you can buy (and also costs a fortune). If you're into DIY, ripstopbytheroll sells a silpoly that is intriguing.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Yessir I see what your saying, I plan on hiking but not any long treks, 10mi or less should be the norm. Like you I like the no stretch the poly offers, and does 5oz. really make that much difference? Main thing is they repel water bout the same so I guess price would be the big factor.

Another thought rattling around in my head, would the jungle models be enough insulation for fall in Texas, then add a HHSS for winter camping later on?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on your age and how far you hike on whether 5 to 7 oz. makes a difference. I'm over half a decade old, so I went for the 8.5 oz. HG Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp ($399).

I also have a DIY silnylon hex tarp (13.5 oz.) and several poly tarps. I like the poly HH Hex tarp for beginners - you can usually get it for about $70 on Amazon. It's 23 oz., nearly a pound heavier than my HG Winter Palace!

A hammock provides zero insulation; it's BYOI. Most people need underinsulation at around 70* F or lower. I would recommend skipping the SuperShelter and getting some down insulation. It's like Hertz, and not exactly. You can get a 40* down underquilt for about $160 and there are no condensation issues like you'll find with the Supershelter. Also check out the $100 synthetic Jarbidge River UQ; good down to 25 degrees and I've heard nothing but positive reviews.

If you're just starting out with hammocks, you might want to check out a much cheaper simple, gathered-end hammock like the BIAS Hiker Lite or Dutch's hammock line, all $35 or less (not including suspension). Then grab a Fronkey-style bugnet for summer ($45) and you're all set. My first hammock was a Hennessy, but since then I've acquired seven or 8 more hammocks (maybe more, I'm not sure). The Hennessy Expedition is definitely my least comfy hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Good too know, thanks for the info!

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Depends on your age and how far you hike on whether 5 to 7 oz. makes a difference. I'm over half a decade old, so I went for the 8.5 oz. HG Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp ($399).

I also have a DIY silnylon hex tarp (13.5 oz.) and several poly tarps. I like the poly HH Hex tarp for beginners - you can usually get it for about $70 on Amazon. It's 23 oz., nearly a pound heavier than my HG Winter Palace!

A hammock provides zero insulation; it's BYOI. Most people need underinsulation at around 70* F or lower. I would recommend skipping the SuperShelter and getting some down insulation. It's like Hertz, and not exactly. You can get a 40* down underquilt for about $160 and there are no condensation issues like you'll find with the Supershelter. Also check out the $100 synthetic Jarbidge River UQ; good down to 25 degrees and I've heard nothing but positive reviews.

If you're just starting out with hammocks, you might want to check out a much cheaper simple, gathered-end hammock like the BIAS Hiker Lite or Dutch's hammock line, all $35 or less (not including suspension). Then grab a Fronkey-style bugnet for summer ($45) and you're all set. My first hammock was a Hennessy, but since then I've acquired seven or 8 more hammocks (maybe more, I'm not sure). The Hennessy Expedition is definitely my least comfy hammock.
    I'll bet most forum members are over a half-decade old.

Hammock
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Dang auto correct is even here!

• + New Posts