Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

BMBH hanging question

I have been recently thinking about running a ridgline from one ring on the the BMBH hammock to the other ring. The secondary purpose would be to help me achieve the proper tightness while hanging the hammock without having to get in and "feel" if its right. I know this is typically done using the bug-net but I don't always take the bug-net. The primary purpose would be a place to hang gear from, such as a water bottle, head lamp, a pair of socks and so forth. My idea would be to tie a bunch of loops in the ridge line and hang stuff from carabiners. What I cant remember is the recommended distance between the rings on the BMBH. I think it was 9'5'' or 9'3''. If someone could reminded what the distance is that would be very helpful, then I only have to cut a length of rope once! Thanks

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Why not just stitch up a sliding gear pocket out mosquito net, that you can stick stuff into. The weight of the netting is nothing (near nothing, 'cept for the gram weeners), and it folds up in side the hammock for packing without removal. Set up your hammock where its comfortable and measure the length you need, or leave the ridgline long and make it adjustable. Just a thought. 2Q has some gear hanging pockets on his site.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The difference of an inch or two can make a surprising difference with a ridgeline. I think you'll want to get this right!

My tack has been to tie the line at one ring, run it to and through the other ring, and when the length is approximately what I want leave a foot or so of cord. The doubled back end is fastened any one of a number of ways...tautline hitch, figure-9, biner with the ridgeline wrapped around it 3 three times before moving on...

Then you experiment with the adjustment until find the shortest length that gives you the flat lay. Then mark the cord in such a way that you can always position your fastener to that spot. A sharpie works for many cords.

Grizz

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

BMBH Optimum Hang

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I have been recently thinking about running a ridgline from one ring on the the BMBH hammock to the other ring. The secondary purpose would be to help me achieve the proper tightness while hanging the hammock without having to get in and "feel" if its right. I know this is typically done using the bug-net but I don't always take the bug-net. The primary purpose would be a place to hang gear from, such as a water bottle, head lamp, a pair of socks and so forth. My idea would be to tie a bunch of loops in the ridge line and hang stuff from carabiners. What I cant remember is the recommended distance between the rings on the BMBH. I think it was 9'5'' or 9'3''. If someone could reminded what the distance is that would be very helpful, then I only have to cut a length of rope once! Thanks
    Roadtorque,

The optimum distance between the two primary rings is 9' 6".

A little less gives you a slight sag in the middle. A little more and you'll get more support in the middle of the hammock.

Regards,

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks a million to all who answered. Got just what I needed. Now its time to give it a try.

• + New Posts