Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp security

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Camp security

Probably a silly question but what does everyone do with they're camps if say in a state park or a campground and leave for a period? Fold up and pack away or pretty confident it will still be there when you get back?

Hammock
    Dutch & ENO
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Woopie, MSH, Bling
    Personally I would attempt a stealth camp nearby first. If that's not an option I would befriend the nearest neighbor. Still not an option? Break camp down. Years ago while t..t camping someone stole all our hard earned gathered firewood when we went for a walk. EVERYONE close heard my displeasure and it was a nice quiet evening at least. Campgrounds unfortunately are not safe havens from sneak thieves.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    For me, it depends on what I'm leaving behind. If it's my set up 10 person family tent at a campsite or smaller hammock stuff that is easier to take. It depends how many others are in the area. If I'm car camping I'll through a good bit in the car if we go for a hike or swim. I haven't had any problems yet, but I try not to give others to many glaring opportunities either.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/Zep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It depends on the length of time and your neighbors. Last September I stated at Cranberry Lake, NY for 5 days. One of the days I left for Lake Placid, about an hour drive from the campgrounds. Was gone for little over 5 hours. One of our neighbors was a retired LEO the other was a married couple. I took my money and anything that wasn't replaceable. Tents and camp furniture all stayed behind.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    This strategy has worked for me before, and shall again: Befriend the neighbors if you have some there. Offer them a Zing Zang Bloody Mary. Once they drink one they will help you watch your stash of Zing Zang, and everything else by default. At home I have proven it as a viable strategy to increase attentiveness and visits by Neighborhood Watch.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    A car accessible campground near towns or highways has a low barrier to entry. There is virtually nothing there to weed out miscreants sharing the space with you. Befriending someone is a good idea, as WrenchBender noted. I usually leave my shelter up, and pack the small stuff discretely in my vehicle if I am going to be out of camp for a while. Only if I saw clear and obvious warning signs would I'd consider packing up and locking away everything.

If I'm in a campground that is well off the beaten path, a primitive backwoods campground or doing dispersed camping in a place you need to really hoof it I'm more inclined to leave everything in camp when I leave for a while. I expect others who have made the effort to get out there to be more prepared, mature, upstanding and respectful of others and their environment. Chances are I've already struck up a friendly conversation with anyone close by, and it takes a really special and rare person to hike out in the woods and then rob you after you've made a personal connection with them.

If you go through life not trusting people as a rule, you might save yourself from being ripped off a few times but you'll miss out on being the recipient of countless acts of generosity and kindness. The best attitude is somewhere in the middle.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I use my 1000 yard stare and bad attitude as a deterrent.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Personally I think it makes a big difference where you are. Dangling touched on this and I agree that if you close into towns you are more likely to get issues than if your further away from them. But I would also add that I am less concerned with folks around here in Idaho than I might be in another state. Population density and all. The more people the more chance of an issue. Not saying to take any undo risk with something of value. I try really hard to avoid campgrounds all together if possible. I think you're usually better off getting off the beaten path more than being in the social stew.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Very good points all round. I guess the reason for my pondering is I enjoy toobing and camping on the gaudalupe river here in Texas. When I had my trailer is was easy too lock up and leave, and the last time I camped in a tent there the most expensive thing they could get was a box fan!

And I totally agree with both ideas of watch out near town and more trusting further off the beaten path you go. The Gaudalupe is kinda of a somewhere in between added with you leave camp too float the river for 4-8hrs a day.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    When car camping we just put everything of value including our food in the car. When backpacking I don't carry many valuables and what I do I just take with me on any excursions away from camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast