Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp security

Yeah, I think you need to be careful. There are a lot of good people camping, but there are also more than a few low life's who can be tempted, especially in public campgrounds. And there are the kids having drinking parties who might exercise poor judgement. Out a ways it is probably different, but even then there might someone who thinks they are being helpful and would take your stuff to turn it in to lost and found. Then there are the critters.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY hex cat
    Insulation
    Yeti/Alt Kelty SB
    CamoEvo, having a canine companion is at least psychological security. It would make me feel safer out in the woods to have a buddy like your Yogi. Unfortunately mine is a miniature dachshund, and she is a heck of a lot more skittish than I am. I also have more outdoors experience than her, since she queen of the house and not so much the woods. Won't even go out in the rain and barks at the wind through the window. And she would probably run away from anyone trying to take my stuff.

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Normally there are a bunch of ground sleepers around me that think I'm crazy for sleeping in "that thing" at night so I don't worry much about anyone taking my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
    CamoEvo, having a canine companion is at least psychological security. It would make me feel safer out in the woods to have a buddy like your Yogi. Unfortunately mine is a miniature dachshund, and she is a heck of a lot more skittish than I am. I also have more outdoors experience than her, since she queen of the house and not so much the woods. Won't even go out in the rain and barks at the wind through the window. And she would probably run away from anyone trying to take my stuff.
    I'm right there with ya, I have a not so small miniature dachshund named Fritz he wants to be in the hammock with me and that is a no go as he wants to be around my knees and in my sleeping bag also if I move he moves. It makes for a miserable night.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    I'm usually backpacking and don't see many people so I really don't have to worry too much. When I set up camp I'm usually pretty beat, just set up camp have dinner, maybe fish a bit. But that's about it then go to bed.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hehe, nice, it would be even better if that was a Blackbird!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonykarter View Post
    While car camping in a particular county park I have perceived more than once just this type of latent threat from others camped near me. I have on occasion racked 8 shells through an 870 tactical hog hunting gun as loudly as possible during the dark, quiet night, picked them up off the ground and reloaded them into its extended magazine. The sound is unmistakable, carries well through the night, and plugs very well into the brain receptors of the types who would perpetrate such a theft, all accomplished without the spectacle of brandishing it out in the open in the daylight. It is just the type of deterrent that their ears comprehend. It speaks their language. Message received. Like some of your dogs it often sleeps with me too, in its scabbard hung from my ridgeline over my feet. And though I and it are not there most of the day I have not had anything stolen. At least not there anyway...

Consider for a moment: With the proliferation of surveillance cameras almost everywhere else, many of the remote places that we frequent are the last perfect places left to be the victim of the perfect crime. The criminals know this all too well. To hear the rangers tell it, the national forests and Corp of Engineers land in which I hunt, fish, hike and camp are rife with impromptu meth labs and cartel grow operations. Yours are too. You have just been lucky so far, and thank God so have I. I am not paranoid, but I do get paid to worry for a living. I make my living in risk management, so even in my leisure pursuits I'm kinda' hard-wired through osmosis to always consider the worst case scenario, and provide strategies against. I shall not be a target of opportunity, nor a statistic. You don't be either.

So much for going light...
    Totally understand the mindset hence the reason for the question, if there's s better way than what I'm thinking I'd like too hear it. Y'all provided a ton of info in spades
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    I made this graphic on a whim and was saving it for the right occasion.

It took about six weeks for the perfect occasion to show up on the forum: a Texan talking talking about guns and protecting their stuff.

Hope you enjoy it.

Attachment 103454
    Well what can I say so Texans like our stuff and guns, and your flag I can dig it

I'm a fan of this one too

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    It really depends on the area. Here in NY, I wouldn't leave anything sitting in the campsite. In 2002 or 2003 a friend of mine has his ENTIRE tent setup (Tent, fly, sleeping bag, Pad, etc.) Go missing out of his campsite, in a campground with very little coverage, in clear view of at least a dozen other occupied sites. It was gone in the 20 minutes it took him to walk across the campground to get wood.

I've seen cars at trail heads broken into, both by humans, and bears.

When I was a ground dweller, I'd leave the tent up. Tearing that down took time, and effort.. something thieves usually don't want to spend while ganking gear. But there are exceptions like the example above. But with a hammock.. I take them down, I mean think about how quickly someone can walk into your site and take your hammock (and attached quilts) :

Walk into the site, 2 quick cuts of the suspension lines, and walk out. Maybe take an extra 10 seconds and cut the tarp guy lines and take that too. So in less than a minute, they've scored $600 (at least) in a hammock, and quilts.

And hammock camping has become so popular that I frequently see listings for gear in local papers, craigslist.. ebay. And unless you've got some truly custom work in your gear, you'd never be able to prove the stuff in a sale is yours. Unlike a phone, tablet, gopro, etc, there's no unique serial number.. no way to identify.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Eh, I've yet to have any trouble, and I fairly frequently camp in front country areas by bicycle.

That being said, I don't really leave anything loose around the campsite that casual thieves would take: DIY camping rigs aren't really fungible for most thieves, while my bicycle, cell phone, wallet, laptop, etc. are. So, if any of those things go with me, they either get locked up or stay in a monitored area (on my person, with the campsite host, etc.). The bike makes things a little more difficult, but it's not hard to keep a smartphone or wallet on my person.

Back country camping (more'n a mile from a road), I worry less. Generally, either I'm in the middle of nowhere after dark or I'm camping with friends. I trust my friends, and I trust my drab colors to keep me hidden at night.

YMMV, of course.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    I don't even lock my doors at home!!!!!