Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    under the stars
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    getting whoopies

Hello from Pennsylvania

Hey, I'm a star, soon to be life, boy scout. I enjoy camping with my troop and venture crew. When the weather is nice, I love setting up my hammock near friends and sleeping under the stars. I've been using a cheap Grand Trunk Single and the included suspension with a sleeping bag for a while now and am looking to upgrade. I'm trying to make my own tree huggers and whoopies to give me more flexibility when setting up and I also want to get a cheap tarp for rainy nights or when backpacking and don't have the option of a tent.

Happy Hammocking to you all!
    Last edited by TheWiseWalrus; 02-17-2015 at 16:47.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Georgia. Had a great time in the Boy Scouts when I lived in PA, miss those winter camporees and the snow. Don't forget a pad for warmth and check out the Kelty Noah's 12 tarp for good coverage at a great price.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    under the stars
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    getting whoopies
    Would you recommend a pad built for hammocks, or would a regular ground pad work? I have several inflatable ones, and I could cut my own foam one without too much difficulty.

Hammock
    mod ENO DN
    Tarp
    Jackson custom
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ, EWCS bag
    Suspension
    Modified whoopies
    Images
    A belated welcome to you from an old scout.
    A pad would be cheaper, be it made to fit or homemade but I will say for the effort and comfort you may want to consider an UnderQuilt. I found it much easier to set up and take down and requires less room and weight as well. That is depending on you pad specs. Go to YouTube and check out Shug's vids (he's on this site) and go visit a few vendors and post a few inquiries on here before you put out a bunch of cash. I'm still rocking the mummy bag but had now 2 experiences with UQs. Much nicer in my opinion. I was toasty on a 30*F day. I will be putting in an order for my UQ very soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjL4ric6JZc
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    under the stars
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    getting whoopies
    Yeah, I watched all of Shug's videos and learned a lot, but I don't have enough money for an under quilt. I'm still saving up for some amsteel for whoopie slings and some silnylon for a cat tarp for when it rains. I'm pretty good at making things, so I'm gonna try making my own suspension and tarp. An under quilt looks like it will be a lot harder though, so I'm going to hold off on making or purchasing one for a while.
    Last edited by TheWiseWalrus; 03-01-2015 at 16:17.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    If you are pretty good at making things, an APEX UQ is very easy to make. Much better than using a pad IMHO. You will find the secret to a great hang is getting the lower insulation right.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Do you go to yard sales or thrift shops? I found a down duvet at a yard sale for under a dollar, sewed a channel around the edges and had an underquilt super cheap. I later found a king sized duvet for $10. When trying to cut it down, I found it had first quality down inside, A steal for $10. For 3 season camping, most synthetic bedcovers will make a nice underquilt if you don't mind the weight/bulk, i.e., you're not backpacking. I get most of my parts and pieces from thrift shops and yard sales. I even got something that looks an awful lot like amsteel at a flea market. It was unmarked, so I'll have to see what kind of weight it will bear. Tarp material - I've been successful with Walmart remant bins.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    under the stars
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    getting whoopies
    What exactly is an APEX underquilt? Is that a type of fabric/material or a brand name . . ? And Tangara, I'll definitely start going to more yard sales and thrift shops. I occasionally tour Goodwill and I manage to get some nice stuff real cheap. As for a tarp, I'm looking at the black-cat tarp by blackbishop351. I'm planning to get my material from Speer like he did.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. I'm a scoutmaster in Birdsboro PA. Spend some time searching through the DIY forum. There are instructions on Apex quilts there. If you are not too far from Pine Grove Furnace State Park, you should check out MAHHA at the end of April. Also feel free to PM me if you want any advice. Keep pushing towards that Eagle!
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Check out Arrowhead Equipment's Jarbidge UQ. It uses APEX 6oz./yard insulation and is good to temps in the 20's. I made a 10oz/yrd APEX UQ and I have gone to the teens with plenty to spare. Climashield APEX is a continuous strand insulation that does not require any baffles (think down quilt). Sandwich it between two layers of shell fabric and you're pretty much good to go. Of course there are fine details such as channels for suspension but it's pretty much straight forward. As Doogie said, There is alot of info on this site to help you out. Enjoy the addiction!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast