Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

Top quilt top color

I'm looking into getting a top quilt from either HG or UG and I know I want one of the layers black. Would I be better to have the color black as the inside or outside or does it really matter?

Thanks

New Member Keep Calm And Hike On's Avatar
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    I might have this backwards but I think you want a dark color on the outside and the lighter color inside.

I usually make all my quilts that way.
    Ryan
    www.keepcalmandhikeon.com
    Ryan Boyles
    Owner
    Keep Calm And Hike On
    www.KeepCalmAndHikeOn.com

Darker outer layers will be warmer in direct sunlight. The inner layer won't matter.. Pick whatever looks good. Hope this helps!

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    If you're going to develop a stable of quilts, it helps to differentiate outer colors between various temperature ratings so that you can easily identify each particular quilt without having to look at the labels. Further, I like to color coordinate my sets of quilts (UQ/TQ of same temp rating) so that I can easily match them together.

I have 0 degree (brown), 20 degree (green) and 40+ degree (black) sets... this makes it easy.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    It does help to have your UQs and TQs all different colors so you can ID them faster. Before I figured this out I packed what I thought was a UQ and TQ and got to the site and started to set only to find I had packed two TQs. Luckily I had a double layer hammock so I put one of the TQs between the two layers of the hammock and made it thru the night, a bit cool but ok.

I also use a silver sharpie and write on the inside of each UQ and TQ what it is rated for.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Yea I was thinking dark outer later. I only plan on getting one top quilt a 20 degree with overstuff. I won't need an under or top quilt in the summer. I don't use any cover during the summer in my state, just sleep in shorts and a t shirt and I'm fine.

Thanks for your opinions and help

Hammock
    WBRR / DD superlight
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev20°/Lynx 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    If you're going to develop a stable of quilts, it helps to differentiate outer colors between various temperature ratings so that you can easily identify each particular quilt without having to look at the labels. Further, I like to color coordinate my sets of quilts (UQ/TQ of same temp rating) so that I can easily match them together.

I have 0 degree (brown), 20 degree (green) and 40+ degree (black) sets... this makes it easy.
    Brilliant tip , I love that level of organisation
    All the gear and no idea.....

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post

That is absolutely the best advice for anyone adding or making there quilt selections for various temp ratings and is the route I will be taking.
    Keeps it simple and eliminates a mistake in grabbing the wrong Quilt set for given temps which could really suck...
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    Just remember that dark colors get warmer in the sun. This may be an advantage if you want to air a quilt during break time to get rid of moisture build up.
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    It's recommended to have at least 1 layer be a dark color to help absorb solar radiation for the purpose of drying in the field. It doesn't have to be black, although technically speaking black is the best color for absorbing and releasing radiated heat energy.

While technically a lighter color on the inside will be better at reflecting radiated heat back at you, practically it doesn't make much of a difference, as the heat retained by the insulation is going to far outweigh this effect. Radiative heat loss form your body is going to be negligible compared to other forms of heat loss (conduction and convection).

All my quilt's have a black inner liner, and a colored outer liner.

Color differences are more noticeable when trying to stay cool in the hot sun, which the light color will reflect heat from solar radiation away from your body. (or I suppose in winter when in the sun, with dark color's to help stay warm)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast