Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Then I fail to see how you could even remotely be involved.
    Yeah, very good point.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I think this sort of gettogether would be a lot of fun, don't know if Hammock-stock is possible whithout a ton of work, but hey I am sure their are lots of people here that can play. Hey we have a guy that does accrobbatics on a unicycle and can play a mean mandolin. Let's start to make some firm plans of where and a idea of when. I vote for early-mid August next summer and I have always wanted to see the Black Hills of SD, seems like a not close to anywere spot but lots of trees, lots of trails, being a bit off the turist track(somewhat any way) air fair to the area may not be too bad. Looking at the Google map it dose not look like there is anybody up in that area so we would not really be favoring anyone. Everyone would have to travle, yah some more than others. And secondly there is lots of other stuff to see in that area, several national monuments, parks, preserves, and what not. Just have to make sure its not the same week as Sturgis. I also think that having small group hangs for folks that could not make a longer trip and linking up via the forums or other means would be cool as well.

If we can get things orginised a bit I would be up for building an event website that we could use to get info out to more people, show what and when the plan was, detilas, maps for directions, etc.

Thoughts?
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I don't hear a fat lady.

Want it to happen? Start organizing. I've got a line on a member here on HF with property to offer. Located smack in the middle of the country with trees and a view. So, this can happen. Question becomes, can enough people make it to make it worthwhile? I'm going to suggest that we plan it for roughly one year from now. That should give everyone that is interested time to make vacation plans and budget away any funds.

I don't want to speak on the member's behalf yet as we've only traded a couple of PMs at this point, but once everything is worked-out with the land, I see no reason why this shouldn't happen....dammit!
    Nor do I see any reason why this couldn't happen.
    The "From small acorns do large oaks grow" approach is the best way to go. I want to be a part of bringing this 'idea' to fruition but I also know that it will take commitment to the idea to make it come to life. I'm willing to bet that there are more than a few members of this community that are looking for an opportunity like this to get involved with something that could become an annual event to be proud of....and most of all fun.
    Keep us posted on what you come up with and if you need anything just throw it out there and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much help you'll get. I'm already feeling giddy
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I just realized, paul is already advertising for a hangeree. the hang-hunt-and feast we are planning next fall is advertised on his new website. we are planning a week long event that would allow multiple groups of people to come and experience hammocking. weather you are a hiker, hunter or a car camper, there should be something for you to come do. we are plannng a potluck/BBQ and then some hiking for the first weekend, and then for those who are interested some people are planning on backpacking/elk hunting in the Frank Church wilderness the following week. I had originally suggested the possiblity of another meet and greet the following weekend for people who couldn't make the first weekend. it is not centrally located, but I am sure for those who would like to attend something of this nature their is ample time to start planning and saving. for those who are interested, this area of Idaho has over the counter elk tags on a first come first served basis, even for non-residents. I, like paul, hope we can get a good turn out.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I am sorry if it sounds like Paul and I are working on this together. just read the post and might come off that way. we originally came up with this idea through a joking comment, and Paul not I ran with it. he should get all the credit for this. Paul if you need any help let me know, I will try to assist anyway that I can.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Ok well I had not put the pices together to turn the ID hang into the Bigest Hammock Hang in the World! but that would be cool with me. Lets get some thoughts from others befor we start getting the cart hitched up. I would love for the ID hang to be a big group of us from all over the country. So far I have about a dozen people from all over the country that have said they are intrested in comming. We have talked about the last week of Septeber into the first week of October this next year, 2010. That gives quite a bit of time to plan and orginise. But short of a satphone to get internet service we would not be able to hook up with other groups on HF (much of ID is just so remote there is no cell coverage in a lot of areas that I have been thinking about for the Hang. And second the more I have thought about it, going to an area with no locals might have it's own chalages. Doing a large group get together might be easier with at least one local to scout areas for the hang, know were food can be bought, have the logistics more figured out. Agian I don't want to hijack plans. But I am willing (if others are interested) to amp up the ID hang plans to a bigger scale than what I had in mind originaly, but agin only if everyone wanted to make it more. If Canibal has a lead on a good spot for a large group hang then I would like to weigh out that option as well.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

Yearly go-out-and- hang Day

In addtion to Hang-o-Ree. For thouse that can't attend a Go-out-and-hang Day. Eather groups or by yourself. Go hang out and let it swing in the breeze.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My only concern with the hunt/hang is the first part; "hunt". While I don't suffer from it, Genuine Draft and I'm sure others, can not and will not be around dead animals. It just doesn't set well with her. Yes, I live with a card carrying PETA member. I do my best to temper it and honestly, she thinks some of their stuff is pretty hair-brained too. She is however, a animal lover to the tenth degree and has been a life long 'rescuer' of abused/neglected animals; particularly dogs. Want to see a crazy 5'2" woman back a 300 pound beer guzzling, tobacco chewing, Florida redneck into a corner fearing for his life? Show her an abused dog and my girl will deliver. If it's a Pit Bull being abused, the dude ain't likely to survive. She would have no interest at all being around a successful hunt. For that reason, I don't think that type of an event would be an appropriate 'hang for the masses'. You could however, call it the "hang for the hungry".

HF member oldgringo has some property in east central Oklahoma that he has offered (I gave him 3 different opportunities to withdraw; sucker! ) to let us use for a big hangout. He owns 30 acres on a bluff overlooking the N. Canadian River. He claims that it is spectacular. It also has 2WD access "most of the time". It isn't far from the interstate and not unreasonably far from both Tulsa and Oklahoma City. It doesn't get much more 'centrally located' than that and still have trees. Those of you whose only experience with Oklahoma has been driving down I-35 or movies are probably thinking, "Oklahoma? What will we hang from"? Never fear, eastern Oklahoma is actually quite pretty, even eastern Kansas and Nebraska have some charm; it's just the western part of those states that appear barren and lifeless.

The property is not hunted, so we would not be interfering with any of those activities. It's private land and the owner is hammock friendly, so no worries there. If there is interest, I'm all in. I will be happy to drive a shuttle to and from the airports if folks are flying in. What do you all think? I'm thinking next year sometime in the fall. If there's interest, we can move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    In addtion to Hang-o-Ree. For thouse that can't attend a Go-out-and-hang Day. Eather groups or by yourself. Go hang out and let it swing in the breeze.
    July 22nd baby!
    Hammock Day.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    HF member oldgringo has some property in east central Oklahoma ...30 acres on a bluff overlooking the N. Canadian River. ...If there is interest, I'm all in.
    That is extremely interesting! I'll be there!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Post 10 acres

Quote Originally Posted by lar-i View Post
    How many campers does anyone think that an event like this would attract?
    Then think about all of the wives, friends, kids, dogs etc that would be along for the ride.
    Where could we find a camp ground to support the potential number of people? Does it have to be public land? Anybody have 10 acres with trees? Anybody know anybody with 10 acres who would/might be interested in renting for 3 days? And how to pay for it? pass the hat or charge a fee? When I said Hangaree...I meant Hangareeeeee! An annual event of all annual events! Where ALL the groups, solos, hammock curious can come together for 2-3 days of hammock gear bliss.
    Is there potential for an event like this to take place?
    A man can dream!
    GF and i have 10acres,but its all farm land,some tree's not alot.It be more for tent camping.Id also like to say Im new to the Forum and i enjoy it very much,lots information and videos help alot too.Thanks,Charles

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast