Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    Most members from my area (Texas) may not have the cold weather equipment for a January hang in the northeast area.
    Actually, I was thinking of something more like in Mid October.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Mid October is a bit of short notice - especially for those of us who have to travel.

with enough time, Alan, Uncle (and family) and I would probably carpool to wherever.

I personally would like to have 6 months to plan - i travel a lot for work!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    Mid October is a bit of short notice - especially for those of us who have to travel.

with enough time, Alan, Uncle (and family) and I would probably carpool to wherever.

I personally would like to have 6 months to plan - i travel a lot for work!
    Oh yeah...for sure..I was thinking next year 2010. Gives plenty of time to get on Shug's schedule??!!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I propose a midwinter hang in the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. Nice break for everyone, no one has to worry about winter weight gear, and the airfare to PR is pretty cheap as these things go. To the USVI, it's a little more. I'm only half serious, but I thought that I would throw that out there.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lar-i View Post
    Well to be honest....a ten hour drive to what could be a possible annual or bi-annual event is much more appealing to me than try to stuff that drive and the camping into a weekend. I work the ole 3rd shift and getting off at the crack of dawn then trying to drive that distance....well it just ain't going to work. But having one big event where all the groups have an opportunity to get together for either a 2 or 3 day hang would be cool. The only problem is trying to do it in such a way that it would naturally come together without all the stress of what it takes to put on a totally sponsored and/or organized event if you catch my drift. Those type of events can take on life's of their own to the point where they're not any fun for the people who have taken on the responsibility to make such an event happen. The community as a whole would have to come together and commit instead of just 3 or 4 people stressing about everything....that's no fun...been there done that! While I do see the potential for something like Trail Days but more specific to hammock camping to evolve as a more organized event to showcase how far hammock camping and the gear associated with it has grown what I guess is the biggest question is has the hammock camping community matured to the point where this could happen?
    I guess it could be a possibility to just stick a pin in a map and announce a date and time to have a Hangaree and just see who shows up with what and just wing it and see how it works out.
    I agree 100%...except that when there are more than about 15 people in one area, there are issues of privies, water, sleeping space, parking and sometimes rules on how many people can hang in one area (which we broke last year at Mt Rogers). So somebody has to organize at least that part of it.

But nobody really "organizes" the Mt Rogers hangs. We just vote on a date and show up. JRB started the raffle and a few others decided to join in. We do list who is bringing what for the group dinner on Saturday, just so we have enough of everything...but that's just a rough list posted here on HF. For the most part, everybody shows up when they want to, does what they want to while they're there, and leaves when they want to. Then the cool ones post their pics on HF!

So IMO we should pick a date and location, then get a head count just so we can make sure the campground can support that many hangers. Then let things happen from there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    But nobody really "organizes" the Mt Rogers hangs. We just vote on a date and show up. JRB started the raffle and a few others decided to join in. We do list who is bringing what for the group dinner on Saturday, just so we have enough of everything...but that's just a rough list posted here on HF. For the most part, everybody shows up when they want to, does what they want to while they're there, and leaves when they want to. Then the cool ones post their pics on HF!
    This is the way the MAHHA Hang works. Bug-Bait picks a date after asking a number of people what weekend is good. We do a Sat. night pot luck and raffle. People post on HF what they will bring so there's a variety of stuff.

For the weekend people may post things they want to do while there so others can join in. Like Dutch making pancakes, 2Q making Caldera Cones. Day hikes and trips to Harpers Ferry. People come and go when they can. Different people do pre-hikes and post hikes. After the date is picked, it just kinda happens. Plus it's an EXCELLENT area for hangers and the fact that the shelter area is not too far in allows kids of all ages, new campers and hangers to give it a try.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    I'm sure we can find a bear or two to keep you warm.
    You misspelled it: BEER, not bear.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    You misspelled it: BEER, not bear.
    I think the BEAR would keep you warmer....especially as it chases you down the trail all night...

Did I mention the peanut butter that mysteriously showed up on your hammock?
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    How many campers does anyone think that an event like this would attract?
    Then think about all of the wives, friends, kids, dogs etc that would be along for the ride.
    Where could we find a camp ground to support the potential number of people? Does it have to be public land? Anybody have 10 acres with trees? Anybody know anybody with 10 acres who would/might be interested in renting for 3 days? And how to pay for it? pass the hat or charge a fee? When I said Hangaree...I meant Hangareeeeee! An annual event of all annual events! Where ALL the groups, solos, hammock curious can come together for 2-3 days of hammock gear bliss.
    Is there potential for an event like this to take place?
    A man can dream!
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by lar-i View Post
    How many campers does anyone think that an event like this would attract?
    Then think about all of the wives, friends, kids, dogs etc that would be along for the ride.
    Where could we find a camp ground to support the potential number of people? Does it have to be public land? Anybody have 10 acres with trees? Anybody know anybody with 10 acres who would/might be interested in renting for 3 days? And how to pay for it? pass the hat or charge a fee? When I said Hangaree...I meant Hangareeeeee! An annual event of all annual events! Where ALL the groups, solos, hammock curious can come together for 2-3 days of hammock gear bliss.
    Is there potential for an event like this to take place?
    A man can dream!
    I have access to over 500 acres of woodland in Eastern, NC, but it is not exactly centralized. There is a hunting lodge available, as well. Just not a good place to be during the fall hunting seasons. A black bear, pushing 500 pounds, was shot there a couple of years ago. The land belongs to a friend of mine, and he has made it available to me, whenever I want to go hanging.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast