Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    I had a candle lantern hanging from my ridgeline for a few hours this past weekend under my Superfly. In the past, I've felt it made a difference inside a tent, but didn't notice any benefit under the tarp. Condensation on the inside of the tarp remained frozen (temps were in the single digits F). The warm glow is nice, but I don't think I'll be using it for warmth.
    I'll be using my Superfly as well, pitched low, so your analogous gear/conditions/experience are what I was looking for. "Thank you" for confirming JackJ.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    There will likely be too much wind to realize any benefit. Hot water bottle all the way.

If possible, test your setup locally before venturing into the backcountry.

The sock will help, worth using.
    Unfortunately I won't have any chance to pre-test prior to the trip. Fortunately it will be car camping, so I can take as much gear I possible to increase my safety/comfort margin. I've used my poly/cotton blend sock in late fall and have had some condensation on the inside (mouth breather due to deviated septum) in the past, so I'm probably not going to use it this trip. However, I'm trying to see about the possibility of securing a canvas sock in time for this trip. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to increase my insulation.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I'll throw in another vote of "don't do it, use the hot water bottle instead". Too easy to burn yourself or your gear if anything goes wrong. It'd be a terrible idea to fall asleep with it still burning. The bottle will safely throw off more heat and it will keep working long after you fall asleep.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    During times in the teens and single I take a spare HH small tarp (one that comes as standard no the Hex) and drape over the ridge line and lay on the netting. I weight down the two corners that on either side with a rock (but not too heavy so I can get out easy just larger enough to hold it in place if windy) and fasten the other two ends to the hammock suspension. Works great to hold body heat in and stop the wind that can still come up from the edges of my superfly. Safer and does work and easy to vent if needed.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    I'll throw in another vote of "don't do it, use the hot water bottle instead". Too easy to burn yourself or your gear if anything goes wrong. It'd be a terrible idea to fall asleep with it still burning. The bottle will safely throw off more heat and it will keep working long after you fall asleep.
    Sound advice. Although, I mentioned that I would only burn it prior to going to bed, and after I wake up in the morning. I NEVER let anything burn unattended...winter or otherwise.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    During times in the teens and single I take a spare HH small tarp (one that comes as standard no the Hex) and drape over the ridge line and lay on the netting. I weight down the two corners that on either side with a rock (but not too heavy so I can get out easy just larger enough to hold it in place if windy) and fasten the other two ends to the hammock suspension. Works great to hold body heat in and stop the wind that can still come up from the edges of my superfly. Safer and does work and easy to vent if needed.
    That's an interesting idea. Is this what is considered and "over cover"? I've always been a 3-season guy and never had a need for anything other than what I already have. Now that I'm pushing into Winter, I need to educate myself on all the tools/techniques specific to this type of hammocking. Unless I absolutely hate next weekend's trip, I'm certain I'll end up buying a canvas sock from MacEntyre...but I'd also like to explore your suggestion as well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Tea lanterns would be about as effective as using handwarmers to heat up the air inside the tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Maybe in a snowcave with only one place for the heat to escape, but not under a tarp. Besides, I would only want to use one in a snowcave anyway. Look at the full candle, and then after it is burnt. All that goop has to go somewhere (i.e. a good portion on your expensive tarp and hammock). I don't care if its "organic" or from some really cool exotic honey bee...soot is soot.

Images
    Hot water bottle trick is the best and you will have warm water to get breakfast started in the morning.
    Candle lanterns get super hot and would burn your gear if it touched it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    More for ambience and a bit of glow than for any heat output. It gives the illusion of warmth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast