Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bubble mat, ccf
    Suspension
    cinch buclkes

Good vs. bad experiences

Hi all-
    Im wondering what could possibly go wrong or what would go great on a hang. What is the best/worst thing that happened?
    Thanks
    Happy Hangin

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I'm out in the woods hanging. Anything after that is all a matter of how I look at it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Great things- You could meet new people that you share the same interests with. Learn new techniques for your setup. Learn how to cook in a dutch oven. The list is endless.

Bad things - Cant think of any.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The best thing could be that you'll have a deeply insightful experience into the true nature of what it means to be human that results in a new and lasting profound state of happiness.

The worst thing I can imagine is waking up and realizing I forgot to bring any coffee.

The worst thing that has happened was the wind shifted 90º and blew a little snow under my tarp. My new tarp (with doors) should literally arrive tomorrow. 😊

My third full night in a hammock found me cold and wet at 3 a.m. with no dry clothing. I was in the middle of a national forest and had to just suck it up until it was light enough to hike out.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    "The worst thing I can imagine is waking up and realizing I forgot to bring any coffee."

Second that. Happened my last two times out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    One of the worst things to happen to me hammocking was also one of my best.
    We had set up camp beside a lake and after a great day and dinner it began to rain pretty hard. we sat under our tarps chatting until bed time then off to sleep. It must have been some rain because in the morning we woke up and the whole camp was flooded. The lake had come up a fair way beyond where we were camped and we had to wade out. It was only about 6" deep average but would have been horrible in a tent.
    I really can't think of many bad things, but the great experiences are uncountable.
    I did fall while acrobatically hanging my hammock once. I hurt my leg pretty good ( skinned the shin knee to ankle) but luckily i was mostly done so hopped in and put my leg up. Bit tough hiking out the next day, but I figure if you don't bleed once a day, you ain't living hard enough.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Worst thing would be failing suspension. Reset hammock in 3 minutes and back to sleep.

Best thing is getting in the woods, mountains, or wherever you camp and just enjoying. I'm like a kids waiting to leave for Disney world the day before a trip.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't say I've had anything to horrible ever happen while out camping aside from stove failure , being cold or physically assaulted by mosquitoes . Forgetting key items is sort of a regular thing, but one always manages.

The great things are some of the people I met who have become good friends , beautiful pictures burned in my mind of places I've been , and of course the sweet feeling you get when waking up in a hammock, looking out, totally relaxed

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I've only had one negative hammock experience, and it was more humorous than bad. The very first time I brought my hammock on a rafting trip, my friends razzed me about it. At the first camp, they lined up their camp chairs to watch me set put up my hammock set-up. They were ready for a "show" and I unfortunately gave them one. I was a newbie hanger, using descender rings & webbing. I didn't get my back-up knot done quite right, and slowly slid to the ground on my butt. They all cheered, clapped, and continued to give me a good natured hard time. Not a good first impression, but after that I got it right and they were envious of my comfort in the hammock.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast