Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Sipsey Wilderness Riddle/Quillan Creek Bushwack

I would like to start off by saying this was a bushwack/exploratory trip. I've never been in this area before but knew the general directions and area I wanted to visit. I think we may have taken the hard way. The trail was well trod and easy to follow at first and I thought this was going to be easy. The trail quickly vanished and the fun started! We eventually found a trail and then lost it again (the theme of this trip). I'm so glad my hiking buddy doesn't mind an adventure!! I'll have to go back and see all the cool stuff I missed with someone that knows the way.

We began our hike at the curve in the road heading into Thompson Trailhead. We saw a trail to our left and took it. Very quickly we discovered the "flagging fairies" have been having a war. There was orange, pink, blue, green, red, and even a white with orange poka dots flagging tape all over the place. We bushwacked (and I mean bushwacked) in a generally downhill direction because that's where we were headed.

To make a long story short, we FINALLY found ourselves in the splendor of a box canyon (missing several items of interest along the way). It was awesome! With the colder temperatures, there were icicles everywhere so we took care not to stray too close as the warmer temps and the light rain was making them melt quickly.

P2210843.jpg

The walk along the creek was beautiful - I will be coming back to this area to explore more in the future. We had to cross the creek a couple of times (did I mention there was ice in the water?) and that sure woke us up - that water was COLD! We came to Quillan Creek and headed upstream. Another treat for the eyes were in store for us.

P2210851.jpg P2210855.jpg P2210861.jpg

We headed upstream to the Arnold Motorway and after a short bushwack (did I mention we did quite a bit of bushwacking?) we headed uphill to the vehicle. It started raining steadily as we headed out, but we didn't mind as we were almost finished and had a great day.

It was a great area that I plan to visit again once it's a bit warmer. This time, I'll take someone who knows the area a bit better to point out the easier way as well as several items I know are in the area but I missed.

EDIT: Upon downloading my track from my GPS, we didn't go down Riddle Creek - we were too far west. That just gives me an excuse to go back....
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 02-22-2015 at 13:44.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    Beautiful pics thanks for sharing. Got to go there one day.

Images
    Sweet! I love to bushwhack Sipsey or where ever! Can you post your GPS track? I've kind of gone back to basics recently, I try my best to just follow my topo maps only using even my compass for quick orientation of the map to north. Still, a GPS track is great for after game review on the computer! Sounds like a greta trip!

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a beautiful place.

Hammock
    DIY/ Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Std w/Doors
    Insulation
    HG/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome pics!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Sipsey Wilderness Riddle/Quillan Creek Bushwack

As you can see from my track, I went into the drainage to the west instead of the east one heading into Riddle Creek.

Although it was worth the effort, It was not an easy bush wack. I look forward to going back and exploring some more in the future.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 02-22-2015 at 14:37.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Images
    Thx for the track! That is an area in Sipsey I have meant to hike for a while now but never have yet. Closest I have been is down Thompson Creek over to Bee Branch/Big tree area.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    brown 10'x10'
    Insulation
    between 2 bushes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    As you can see from my track, I went into the drainage to the west instead of the east one heading into Riddle Creek.

Although it was worth the effort, It was not an easy bush wack. I look forward to going back and exploring some more in the future.
    Lol, This reminded me of my trip to the Sipsey this past November. You know, I actually have no idea where all we went. I wish I would have had a GPS with me to track it. I think that's definitely on my next to buy list. We went for an adventure and found one as well. I know we got close to Bee Branch, but we charged forward and ended up at the top of mountain, walked through some game trails, and ended up at the crossing of 224 and 208. We stumbled across some maps in a ziplock bag somewhere a long the way which was a nice find, because we weren't sure where we were at the moment.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jocono View Post
    We stumbled across some maps in a ziplock bag somewhere a long the way which was a nice find, because we weren't sure where we were at the moment.

They say, "The trail always provides." Serendipity smiles again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    beautiful!

I've yet to check out that corner of Sipsey. What are those roads like over there? is Northwest Rd a dirt road leading over to the Thompson Trailhead. how is it? passible in my compact sedan, do you think? what about the FR210?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast