Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator

Should I buy another HG UQ or a TQ????

Hello all! Thanks for reading, so I am currently debating to buy either a Hammockgear UQ, probably a 40* +2oz (=30*)and currently own a HG 0* incubator. I am thinking of buying a 40* because I own a Clark flex 180, and my lady friend likes to sleep in the hammock. So I would give her the 0* and I could use the 30*, also I am thinking that it would be nice to have a little less weight when I don't need the 0*?

What are your thoughts?

I also am thinking of a top quilt, for myself. I have a couple big hiking trips coming up this summer, and I am in gear prep mode. I could always buy both eventually, but I had the thought to use the 30* as a top quilt? Kind of making it dual purpose? I would tie the HG 30 suspension rings together making a cylinder, and somehow tie the footend closed? I am just thinking in terms of saving some cash, then allocating those funds towards something else (like a new backpack).

Sorry if the post is sloppy or miss categorized! I'm new to the forum!

Thanks!

(Happy hammocking!)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Questions that occur include what temperatures do you intend to be out in? Were you comfortable in the HG 0º? It sounds as if you may have been a bit too warm since since you're considering stepping up a few notches in rating. What is the weather you expect for your summer trips? If the weather misbehaves, as it seems to be with increasing frequency, what is the worst weather you want to be prepared to endure?

There is an excellent review of the HG 40º on Youtube by Sintax77. He's also posted several backpacking videos where he's used his 40º top and under quilts.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD w/poles
    Insulation
    20* HG/UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar/amsteel
    The incubator is only 44" wide compared to the 50" or 55" width of a burrow. That would make it tough for me to stay comfortable I'd think. If your a smaller framed person you may be ok if you don't move much while you sleep but it wouldn't be ideal. I have both in 20+2 and love them.
    I know $ is always a concern but if your current backpack is functional I'd buy the Burrow and wait on the new pack.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    In a perfect world where $$$ are not a issue then a 40*, 20* and 0* would be in the gear closet...
    So since we are not all fortunate to be able to follow that road my 2 cents would be.
    -at what temp range does the 0* become to warm or to bulky for you ..30*?
    -do you do a lot of hanging either side of 30* making a 20* more versatile
    Your certainly on tracking in your thinking to fit your needs for now but consider if you would do the 3 temp ratings quilts down the road (which is my plan 20 for now then 0 then a 40) and do you keep the 40 a true summer 40 quilt with no overstuff.
    And if you got the funds for the top quilt go for it as well...a new back pack won't keep you warm
    choices choices ...decisions decisions
    is never static
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quiksil, I can't help much with your decision, but I did want to point out to you that if you truly want a 30 deg quilt, you should ask Adam to make a 30 deg quit with the appropriately sized baffle height (which he routinely does but doesn't list on the site--just ask). A 40 deg with an additional 2 ounces is not the same thing. Those 2 oz don't really increase the loft height which is a big factor in the temp rating.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Quiksil, I can't help much with your decision, but I did want to point out to you that if you truly want a 30 deg quilt, you should ask Adam to make a 30 deg quit with the appropriately sized baffle height (which he routinely does but doesn't list on the site--just ask). A 40 deg with an additional 2 ounces is not the same thing. Those 2 oz don't really increase the loft height which is a big factor in the temp rating.
    This bit of info was the reason I changed my recent 40 degree + 2oz. overstuff order to a 20 degree no overstuff. After some reading on HF I realized that the 2 oz. of over overstuff only gives me about a 5 degree increase in warmth. I don't winter camp, and wanted a three season UQ. My low temp. hanging will be around 30 degrees. For the extra $10 spent on the 20 degree UQ I will be getting some leeway just in case, and the proper amount of down in the baffles for max loft.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    [QUOTE=Jaeger;1415444]Questions that occur include what temperatures do you intend to be out in? Were you comfortable in the HG 0º? It sounds as if you may have been a bit too warm since since you're considering stepping up a few notches in rating. What is the weather you expect for your summer trips? If the weather misbehaves, as it seems to be with increasing frequency, what is the worst weather you want to be prepared to endure?

Well that's a good question, I live in Oregon and the weather can sometimes be hard to predict. On my last outing it was expected to be 45* at night but it just happened to dip down to 31*'s and I was really glad to have my 0* UQ. I love my 0* and honestly the more I think about it, the more I am thinking the burrow would be a better option in terms of my upcoming trip and what I would use more. But the worst weather I would sleep in would be pretty much anything, I actually really want to get my hammock well insulated and hammock camp in the snow sometime. I think it would be pretty cool! I guess I could always try out a foam pad? When my girlfriend sleeps in the hammock with me the weather needs to be somewhat nice anyways, I'm thinking 40* temps would be our limit.

Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    This bit of info was the reason I changed my recent 40 degree + 2oz. overstuff order to a 20 degree no overstuff. After some reading on HF I realized that the 2 oz. of over overstuff only gives me about a 5 degree increase in warmth. I don't winter camp, and wanted a three season UQ. My low temp. hanging will be around 30 degrees. For the extra $10 spent on the 20 degree UQ I will be getting some leeway just in case, and the proper amount of down in the baffles for max loft.
    Thanks for the post! That's some great info on making a true 30* UQ, I had no idea thanks again!

Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Just want to tell everyone thanks for the posts! I think il get a burrow first, then try a foam pad, and eventually get 30* or maybe a 20*.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    quiksil123, do you have any pics of hanging 2 UQ on the Flex, since it's not quite set up the same as Vertex as far as 2 person configuration

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast