Thread: HVAC Isulation

Images

HVAC Isulation

Has any one tried using foil bubble duct wrap as a sleeping mat in there hammock? Would it not act like a space blanket and reflect heat. Seam light enough.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markatrog View Post
    Has any one tried using foil bubble duct wrap as a sleeping mat in there hammock? Would it not act like a space blanket and reflect heat. Seam light enough.
    Ooooooooooh yeah.mworks great, especially if you have a double layer hammock to hold it in place. Currently i use it with my sleeping bag in place of a pad or underquilt.

PS: love your user name, sounds like a bond villan or something

Edit: here's my set up https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ob-UQ-alt-post

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Do you mean Reflectix? If so, it has a million uses. I carry a 12x12 piece as a sit pad/food pad/extra insulation. Plus it's great for pot cozies!
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Images
    Yea that's the stuff, so ya think its better then close cell foam pads? The TROGS part is derived from a group of Moutan Bikers in Modesto Ca. Trail Riders Of Grater Stanislaus . Thank for the respond. Temp outside 55 partly cloudy. Slight showers

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markatrog View Post
    Yea that's the stuff, so ya think its better then close cell foam pads? The TROGS part is derived from a group of Moutan Bikers in Modesto Ca. Trail Riders Of Grater Stanislaus . Thank for the respond. Temp outside 55 partly cloudy. Slight showers
    Perfect temps for reflectix, keep the chill off your back just fine.

Reflectix is 4/5 r-value. Blue ccf has 2.5. Reflectix out does it by a mile. I cooked in the snow storm Friday night with reflectix under my pad. Really great for lounging on around camp before bed

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Reflectix is 4/5 r-value.
    Reflectix is 4/5 r-value when installed on ductwork with an air gap between the material and the duct. The material itself has an r-value of closer to 1.0.

The impact of the reflective layer is NOT accounted for in R-Value. R-Value is a measure of conductive insulation only.

A 5/8" CCF pad with a space blanket glued to it's surface would insulate you better than reflectix, and have the same radiative properties.

If the reflective layer isn't the first layer between your skin and any other insulation (but not in direct contact), it's not providing much benefit - as any barrier significantly reduces the heat radiation that reaches it (including clothes). Putting it under a pad, or outside your sleeping bag basically nullifies it.

A radiative barrier also requires an air space to be effective, so laying on top of it provides almost no benefit. It will still radiate heat back from the area's that aren't in direct contact with your body, however.
    Last edited by Boston; 02-22-2015 at 19:20.

Images
    Great info thank you all!!

• + New Posts