HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images

Ideas for a small dog hammock on the ridge line.

Hi I need a little help I have a Hennessy and just acquired a wonderful Jack Russell Pup for hiking with. Eventually this dog will be about 15 pounds and I was thinking a clip on hammock on the ridge line as I toss and turn quite a bit. I most likley will put a couple of knots to keep the clip from slipping and the tarp will do the rest. Just looking for thoughts here. At some point if this thread goes well I would like a cottage mfg to make me a custom one in sil nylon.

Thanks ahead for my future hiker. - woo
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I would make something triangular that would attach close to the foot of the hammock. Use a speader bar on the wide end so he can jump up into it from your hammock. Attach on the rl with prussick knot and you would be good to go I would think.

Hammock
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    great start - yea kind of what I had in mind not sure about the jumping part. might have to do some damage control!. -Thanks
    .WOO

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I wouldn't hang my dog from a hammock ridgeline or a tarp ridgeline, especially in silnylon (dog's don't understand condensation). No dog is gonna be happy suspended that high off the ground.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I have a small dog that will happily leap into a hammock, landing on my stomach. I tried a ridgeline hammock for him, but he was very nervous about getting into it because it moved. I suspended the hammock from 2 biners and let the line to one of them run loosely through the biner so his hammock lay directly on top of me. He jumped in and settled himself on top of me, and then I gently pulled the line and tied it off, lifting him up about 8". You don't need a special hammock for a small dog. Just take a vest, put small grosgrain loops at the corners, and add a pair of small spreader bars (trail sticks will do). I found that I could reach through the armholes of the vest to pet the dog and help him get settled again after he gets up and turns around, as dogs usually do.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I thought about making one for my Chesapeake Bay Retriever, who has Seasonal Flank Alopecia.

I envisioned an octagonal frame "tipi" with a 1/2" PVC frame with 3to 6 inch legs, just long enough to keep it up off the ground, and keep a lightly insulated "underquilt" off the ground and to keep it from compressing. The tipi part would be silnylon and have a slit or dog house like opening to get in/out held up/out by ropes and semi-loosely tethered to my hammock ridgeline, not to suspend it, but to keep it upright and from blowing away or getting mangled while she spins around 14 times before laying down.

The bottom would have to be a heavyweight material that will probably need to be replaced/repaired often if the dog likes to "scratch up" before laying down. Although I did teach her not to do that on the couch!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I have a small dog that will happily leap into a hammock, landing on my stomach. I tried a ridgeline hammock for him, but he was very nervous about getting into it because it moved. I suspended the hammock from 2 biners and let the line to one of them run loosely through the biner so his hammock lay directly on top of me. He jumped in and settled himself on top of me, and then I gently pulled the line and tied it off, lifting him up about 8". You don't need a special hammock for a small dog. Just take a vest, put small grosgrain loops at the corners, and add a pair of small spreader bars (trail sticks will do). I found that I could reach through the armholes of the vest to pet the dog and help him get settled again after he gets up and turns around, as dogs usually do.
    Wow, the vest is perfect, absolutely perfect. Tiny kids vest in the beginning, larger vest for the dog as it expands.

We have a new pup, she is miniature Fox Terrier, maybe some Jack Russell. She is 7 pounds at 11 months. No undercoat and sparse, wiry coat. Her name is Isis/Terrorist, D.D. (devil dog, darling dog). She goes everywhere my 105 pound, shaggy bear like dog goes. Keeping her warm and not raptor bird bait is a challenge. A vest hung in my daughters hammock would be perfect for her. She would be protected, warm, vests are cheap in the thrift stores, instant replacements. Just perfect.

Do remember puppies chew, especially terriers. Our little D.D. eats her jackets, bedding, anything of mine that hits the floor. She chewed a hole in my down quilt while snuggling me on my bed when she was 7 months old. So be aware, you would not want your pup to eat your hammock, quilt or other gear. Jackies are genetically inclined to be hunters, very independent, they tend to go get food when they want it, not wait for the human to give food, nope independent dogs take care of their own needs.

Puppy school is great, it helps you the human, learn how to help your pup become the best they can be and good K9 citizens. In my opinion a dog who knows and honors basic commands is a joy and significantly safer on the trail.

Congratulations on your new companion, you will have lots of fun now that you are owned by a Jackie.

Hammock
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Hey I read all the posts and I am very happy with the outcome... Please keep it coming... IF you have better ideas do not hesitate.
    .WOO

Hammock
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    post bump gratuitous pic jack_russell_puppies.jpg
    .WOO

Hammock
    Byer Traveler Lite
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    PLUQ extra stuffin
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings
    I have a 15 pound dachshund and I also turn and toss, just like when we're sleeping in bed, if I want to move, I move and he moves with me. He prefers to lay between my legs which can be difficult if you want to turn on your side I just had to make sure I had a wide enough UQ that I could lay on my side and he could be behind my legs but still have insulation. I also carry an extra fleece blanket for him.

• + New Posts