Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    WOW!! Already for sale on Dutch's site. $9.00 for 10 ft.

Quote from his site.................

Kevlar 1" Webbing is one of the lightest and strongest webbings available. It has a 2000 pound breaking strength and weighs just 3.3 grams per foot. It has almost no stretch and doesn't absorb much water. This makes it ideal for hammock suspensions. This webbing is extremely resistant to friction and heat and starts to decompose at 800 degrees Fahrenheit and can handle temperatures of less than -320 degree Fahrenheit. Kevlar is effected by UV light and after 450 hours of direct sunlight it can turn brown and lose up to 50% of its breaking strength. This is important and this product is not ideal or be used as a on a permanent hammock suspension that would be receiving a lot of UV exposure from sunlight.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The revolution has begun.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm wondering if this product would help delay the UV affects on the straps for sunnier states like Florida, California, Texas, etc? Pricy option though...

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    The revolution has begun.
    And we will always remember who fired the first shot!
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    +1 Kevlar is the ideal for 1 inch straps that are low weight. I have 4 foot huggers that are rated for 2000 pounds and weigh about 1.1 ounce. I have seen no abrasion where the amsteel has been connected and they extremely tolerant to very extreme temperatures. They are good from -320 to over 800 degrees. Safe to say you will perish before your huggers. Lastly they don't absorb water and they are thin so they dry super fast. Keep them out of prolonged periods of sun as UV will reduce the weight rating by about half. They are not good for your back yard set up that sits out all summer, but as an ultralight hiking hammock suspension, they are fantastic.
    Dutch,

Do I look terminally ill?

Just kidding...

But seriously:

I respectfully disagree. Especially with the part I took the liberty to highlight in red.
    Kevlar's durability and longevity is highly suspect. Yes, it is used in protective motorcycle clothing, but in those instances the aramid fibers are always combined with other fibers, and are mainly relied upon for their strength (against shear and tension), and not as much for their abrasion-resistance.
    Kevlar has a very poor compressive strength, and this is why it functions well mostly under tension.
    Here is what a sail-maker has to say:
    "Additional drawbacks of Kevlar include... rapid loss of strength with flexing, folding and flogging" - source.
    Folding and flexing is what all of us do with our tree huggers - both while we carry them, and while we hang on them.
    Squeezing (essentially - transverse compression) is what happens to the huggers during a hang.

Quoting the Kevlar's broad range of working temperatures is entirely irrelevant to this discussion, as these are outside the temperatures in which a hammock hanger operates.

It is also incorrect to assume that UV radiation is delivered only through direct sunlight. Any daylight carries this part of the spectrum. Thus, the prudent logic is that Kevlar-made huggers are exposed to UV just as much as polyester-made ones, which would result in their rating drop to 1000 lbs (from, say, 2000) quite fast.

The OP said, in part, that "Kevlar is ... highly resistant to abrasion..." but did not quantify what "highly" means. More than nylon? More than polyester? Or less? And by how much??

As to use of Kevlar in bulletproof vests (and other antibalistic wearable armor) - it is irrelevant to this discussion as the function is completely different, based again on the high strength of Kevlar, which no one disputes.
    Perhaps the OP could also check about the usual recommendations made by Kevlar armor's manufacturers as to how often is the armor supposed to be replaced, which they do driven not only by their desire to sell more and increase profits....

I am not saying that Kevlar tree straps or huggers have no place in a hammocker's toolbox. They do.
    But the users should be well informed and should adjust their expectations accordingly.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I can't wait until mine arrive home (should be soon). These are going to be perfect for my backpacking trips (about 30 nights a year). I store my suspension in my backpack, hike during the day (with a little less weight now) and set up in the evening. I have absolutely no reservations using these. I will report back in 1 year in any potential issues

You can't scare me
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IK_ View Post
    I am not saying that Kevlar tree straps or huggers have no place in a hammocker's toolbox. They do.
    But the users should be well informed and should adjust their expectations accordingly.
    I find this whole rant fascinating, especially since you recently totally devalued any information about tarps with 10 ft. ridgelines that weren't experience-based. Wouldn't that also apply to Kevlar tree straps? I would expect you to totally disregard spec sheets on websites and wait for people to report their experiences before making a judgment.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, HudsonR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by IK_ View Post
    Here is what a sail-maker has to say:
    "Additional drawbacks of Kevlar include... rapid loss of strength with flexing, folding and flogging" - source.
    Folding and flexing is what all of us do with our tree huggers - both while we carry them, and while we hang on them.
    I know very little about Kevlar and its suitability for various purposes, but I have some experience with racing sailboats. The flexing, folding, and flogging that fabrics experience in those conditions is so far beyond what we do to our tree huggers that the sailmaker's caveats don't concern me, personally. I'm looking forward to giving these new huggers a try, but I've already placed my weekly Dutch order, so will attempt to wait a few more days before buying.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe that most sail-makers use Type 49 webbing which is different from this webbing (Type 29).

An aramid fiber introduced by DuPont in 1971, Kevlar has become the predominant fiber in the racing sector of the sailcloth industry. It is stronger than steel for its weight and has a modulus that is five times greater than polyester. When Kevlar was first introduced there were two types: Type 29 and Type 49 (High Modulus). Type 49 has a 50% higher initial modulus than Type 29 and lower flex strength. Other Kevlar styles (Types 129, 149 and 159) have also been developed, but have seen limited use in sails, since the higher strength goes hand in hand with lower flex strength. Most recently, DuPont has introduced Kevlar Edge, a fiber developed specifically for the sailcloth industry that has a 25% higher tenacity and better modulus than Kevlar 49. However, the benefits of Kevlar 49 vs. Kevlar Edge are still being debated. Additional drawbacks of Kevlar include poor UV resistance (Kevlar loses strength roughly twice as quickly in sunlight as polyester and, when affected, the gold Kevlar fibers turn brown) and rapid loss of strength with flexing, folding and flogging. Minimal flogging and careful handling can greatly extend the life of a Kevlar sail.
    For anyone that would like to do their own research and make an informed decision, DuPont have a lot of information available online.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...roperties.html

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    I know very little about Kevlar and its suitability for various purposes, but I have some experience with racing sailboats. The flexing, folding, and flogging that fabrics experience in those conditions is so far beyond what we do to our tree huggers that the sailmaker's caveats don't concern me, personally. I'm looking forward to giving these new huggers a try, but I've already placed my weekly Dutch order, so will attempt to wait a few more days before buying.
    I agree with JackJ. We've used Kevlar in windsurfing sails for years. The Kevlar held up better to UV than I did :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast