WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling

I move around a lot. TQ a good idea.

Im in the market for a new cold weather bag or tq. Ive been using a bag since I've got into hammocks. I do tend to move around a lot and also usually sleep on my side. Im concerned that if I get a tq I will constantly be trying to keep it tucked under me because I move around a lot and will get drafts etc. Any restless sleepers out there that use tq's with success? I'm ready to buy just can't decide between the two.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My philosophy is that it is cheaper (and usually lighter) to modify behavior than it is to get hammock gear to accommodate bed-sleeping behavior. You can go down that rabbit hole, but I think you ought to adapt to the hammock, rather than getting the hammock to adapt to your bed-sleeping propensities.

For example, I sleep on my side in a bed, but I usually sleep on my back in a hammock. Why? Because a hammock isn't a bed, and I don't pretend it is. They don't remotely resemble each other.

I flip and flop in my bed, but that's because beds suck. In a hammock, I don't do that. I've never had a draft with a TQ because I'm not flopping and thrashing like I do in an uncomfortable bed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Like SS, I too toss and turn all night long and even flip head to toe in bed. I hate the bed.

In my hammock, I barely move while asleep. While awake, I will move my legs from straight to fig 4 just because. My head will tilt from straight to left a little and that's about it.

If it's a choice, I would suggest a TQ over a SB because the design is perfect for a hammock. Very similar to a mummy bag if you already have that, just easier to use.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Unfortunately I'm very restless in bed and in a hammock. I'm wondering if those who are the same find they have a hard time keeping a tq tucked.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Some nights I move around a lot and I have no issues. I have a golite 30* top quilt with a sewn footbox. The shoulder portion is wide enough and my UGQ 20* under quilt is wide enough that I stay pretty much tucked in and warm. I think what makes it work is that my TQ is long enough to go over my head and its kind of mummy bag wrapped around me anyway. I have a hard time with mummy style bags as I can't turn inside the bag as opposed to the bag moving with me.

EDIT
    I just realized you are in a Ridge Runner. As much as I wanted to side sleep and love the Ridge Runner I had a hard time sleeping in mine. A 11' gathered end hammock is more comfortable to me as a side sleeper. As previously noted by others, I tend to back sleep in the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I turn from side to side often in the night. If I could learn to sleep on my back there would not be any problem keeping quilts in place but I haven't been able to accomplish that yet.
    Yes, the quilt does need adjusted and tucked each time I turn. But I have found that by closing up the footbox a little higher on my legs (by adding another snap) the whole quilt seems to wrap better and stay in place better around my body. I am tall so on a shorter person that may not be necessary.
    Also, in warmer weather you might often want a looser fit for ventilation.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 'Freebird"
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps / buckles
    If you don't want or need to pull the TQ up over your face, I would recommend getting one that fits you (as close as possible) from the bottom of your feet to your neck. I find that when I use the neck snap (which most of the TQs have) and the draw cord, the quilt stays put pretty snug around the shoulders and down the sides. I made the mistake of getting a "long" TQ one time (cuz I always bought my sleeping bags "long") and found that it was harder to keep it tucked in, due to all the extra material between my neck and feet. Mummy bags are measured from the top of the hood to the bottom of the footbox and the quilt doesn't have a hood. In in theory, it needs to be a little SHORTER than you are tall.
    Train up a child in the way he/she should hang,
    And when they are old they will not become ground dwellers.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I prefer a small mummy sleeping bag with shoulder and hood draw strings. Snug it up and it rolls around with you.
    Getting into the sleeping bag and snugging it up is more difficult than a TQ, but when you get good that the extra 30 sec of squirming around are worth the draft protection being buttoned up provides.
    Now a Speer Pea Pod with TQ is the best answer if you have the $$. I'm too cheap and don't camp in drastically low temps, so my mummy bag works well enough for me.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I am a side sleeper and do turn during the night. I used to use a sleeping bag, but switched to a TQ.

I definitely recommend a TQ. A sleeping bag has very little insulation on the bottom (which becomes half your top), unlike a TQ, which has insulation evenly distributed.

Most TQs come in width options, so simply be sure to get one a bit wider. You might have to tuck it here or there during the night, but no more so than a sleeping bag.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm a toss & turn side sleeper too and would recommend a top quilt.

A ground dweller is actually raised up off the ground on some sort of pad, whereas a hammocker is down in the hammock with the hammock & underquilt partially wrapped up around the sleeper. For me, this makes it easier to keep a top quilt tucked.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast