WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images

XLC - Anyone regret purchasing the top cover?

New to hanging and I'm ready to start down the rabbit hole. I am very close to ordering a WBBB XLC and am curious about peoples thoughts on the additional top cover. Its not cheap and having to order at the time of purchase has given me pause. I would hate to want/need it later and not be able to get one so I am leaning towards going for it.

Curious if anyone that has purchased it has regretted it? Why? I am concerned about condensation and would guess this can be addressed by venting, although i have read that the single zipper near the head is not the BEST place to have a vent. I wish the cover had a zippered mesh vent in the top (near ridgeline) that could be opened/closed. Oh well.

I am in the PNW and will be doing some alpine winter camping/backpacking with it. So I guess temps could be as low as the single digits occasionally but probably more like 15-35 degrees more often.

Great forum and community, I have learned a ton from just browsing. Pretty stoked to start hanging.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I recently got my XLC and sprung for the top cover. I haven't used it yet, but I'm reading the same things you are. Shug recently posted a video and had similar thoughts. I'll be anxious to see what people say here.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I have a top cover on my Hammeck Envy. At 35 degrees I get no condensation really. At 15 degrees I get condensation but its no big deal. Yes you can vent and it helps, but I do notice a warmer sleep with the top cover. Watch Shugs video and make a cloth condensation catcher if needed.

I say get it if you want to sleep in the cold. At least you will have the option and adjust as needed.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    I did not get it for a few reasons, I posted on a diff thread . I backpack and I hear noises when sleeping and they are a mile away but my mind says there are right there so I look.I feel better looking and falling back to sleep or I keep wondering what it is .I sleep in a net tent under a tarp so I can see also.
    The other is I get condensation in my regular tent ,so I would think I would get it with the cover a foot from my face.
    The other reason I would feel like a bear" burrito " all wrapped up ......

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I'm not overly fond of mine... used it twice in about 20 degree weather. I did not have significant condensation issues, and it certainly holds some additional heat in the hammock. However, it was a bit claustrophobic for me... didn't like the confined feeling. I think it would be better if the zipper allowed you to unzip the head end and fold it back so that only the lower half was covered, but it doesn't zip in this manner.

It's surprising how much additional heat the bugnet holds in the hammock... without the confined feeling or condensation issues. Unless you're hanging in extreme cold, I don't think the top cover is a must-have accessory.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I absolutely do not regret purchasing the top cover. It helps in the cold, adds about 12 degrees in my experience. Condensation is less of a problem than most think. If it is going to happen inside the over cover, it is likely to happen on the top quilt if you don't use the top cover.

You can vent it. It offers a bit more privacy when desired.

Most importantly, it provides additional protection from the wind on those sub freezing +20mph nights.

Now I will say that I sleep in my XLC all the time, many hundreds of nights outside, all 4 seasons and that is not the norm. Therefor I think I may care a fair bit more than most.

Admittedly, the best way to sleep in a hammock is under the stars, no top cover, no tarp. Those are without a doubt the best nights. But to have the option is better than to not have the option imho. Of particular note, as you have mentioned, the cover must be ordered at time of purchase, so yes, do it. That would be my counsel.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate the insight. I am going to get the top cover. It really does complete the package.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Since I decided to go w/ the top covers, anyone know if I can get the top cover in 1.1 (I'm getting the 1.7 DL) fabric to save a bit of weight? Seems easy and logical. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    Full-time hanger here. The top-cover is a convenient "boost" to the warmth of your setup. It replicates a hammock-sock -- supposing that there is little wind.

I find that if you are using a top-cover, and it is cold and there is a strong wind, the wind can blow between your hammock and your under-quilt -- thus guaranteeing a cold, uncomfortable experience.

So if there's no wind -- you'll enjoy having the flexibility of the top-cover. If there's wind, you really want a full-blown hammock sock instead.

As far as condensation/frost --- it only happens at below freezing temps. And I've gotten used to it -- it is not such a big deal. My head is completely covered and I make sure my arms are also completely covered (I wear long-sleeved base layer top) -- this ensures that when the frost falls down on you (which only happens when you get up), you don't feel it and it doesn't bother you.

Regards the ideas about venting to avoid condensation/frost. I'm skeptical that any modest venting will truly help much. AND -- if you do a lot of venting, you will be letting out the precious warm air that you are trying to retain in the first place.

So I don't think that it makes much sense to even have a top-cover (or a hammock sock) if you are going to defeat the purpose of the thing by opening it up a lot.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post
    Full-time hanger here. The top-cover is a convenient "boost" to the warmth of your setup. It replicates a hammock-sock -- supposing that there is little wind.

I find that if you are using a top-cover, and it is cold and there is a strong wind, the wind can blow between your hammock and your under-quilt -- thus guaranteeing a cold, uncomfortable experience.

So if there's no wind -- you'll enjoy having the flexibility of the top-cover. If there's wind, you really want a full-blown hammock sock instead.

As far as condensation/frost --- it only happens at below freezing temps. And I've gotten used to it -- it is not such a big deal. My head is completely covered and I make sure my arms are also completely covered (I wear long-sleeved base layer top) -- this ensures that when the frost falls down on you (which only happens when you get up), you don't feel it and it doesn't bother you.

Regards the ideas about venting to avoid condensation/frost. I'm skeptical that any modest venting will truly help much. AND -- if you do a lot of venting, you will be letting out the precious warm air that you are trying to retain in the first place.

So I don't think that it makes much sense to even have a top-cover (or a hammock sock) if you are going to defeat the purpose of the thing by opening it up a lot.
    Fascinating, that has not been my experience at all and I slept outside all of last winter.,-11 and heavy winds, sub freezing much of the time and for many weeks this winter. Maybe it had more to do with the way the underquilts are rigged?

Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    Since I decided to go w/ the top covers, anyone know if I can get the top cover in 1.1 (I'm getting the 1.7 DL) fabric to save a bit of weight? Seems easy and logical. Maybe I'm missing something though.
    Drop Warbonnet an email and tell them what you want. I would expect it's not a big deal to make happen.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast