Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ray Mears Eco Hammock
    Tarp
    Aussie Hootchie
    Suspension
    Strap/Ring + Knots

Ouch! Importing to the UK

Just thought I’d post a notice to UK hangers buying goods from outside the EU (ie. the US).

I just received my order of an Argon hammock and some other bits and pieces from Dutchware. I should point out straight away that I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever on the kit and the service from Dutch. Shipping was immediate and the kit is superb value and every bit as good as you’ll read about on here, so overall I am delighted with what I’ve got. Can’t believe how tiny those Dutch Hooks are!

However, for UK buyers it’s worth noting that in addition to the 20% import VAT charged (possibly duty as well, depending on what you’re importing), there’s an £8 charge added by Royal Mail. This ‘handling fee’ is a bit of a Catch 22, as RM won’t deliver if there’s a customs/VAT fee to be paid, so you have to go and collect it, only to find they’ve charged you £8 for the privilege!

If you’re spending a good few bucks / quid (my order was $140 / £94) then the £8 fee isn’t all that much of an issue, more of an irritation. But if you were just buying a few clips and some Amsteel, for example, you could find that the £8 represents a much bigger percentage of your order value.

So, I guess the moral is, if you’re in the UK (or other EU countries) and buying from outside of the EU, make sure you spend enough to spread the cost of the ‘added extras!’

Anyway, thanks for some great kit Dutch. I’m loving the quality of what I’ve just received. Slightly nervous that this lovely Argon fabric and skinny Amsteel ‘string’ can hold a grown man, but somehow I’m sure I’ll be back for more later!

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Ah it's a pain that system, it can be worse though as when you order large items they leave it at the airport and charge you £120 to go collect it yourself (plus all the handling fees, vat and whathaveya)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I was a bit shocked the first time I sent items to the UK, the Value Added Tax (Vat) was charged on shipping, then all the other little surprises. I send things to Canada frequently, I thought their duty and taxes were high, nope the UK has them beat. A lot of what I send to Canada seems to escape the tax man, which surprises the heck out of me. My relatives are not above discussing the duties and frequently get them lowered.

I always worry about people ordering from USA countries and not realizing the government penalties they will incur. Yet a member from Serbia ordered a down and was not charged any duty/taxes, plus it seems like he had a 9 day turn around.

Hammock
    Ray Mears Eco Hammock
    Tarp
    Aussie Hootchie
    Suspension
    Strap/Ring + Knots
    Wow! Big Ouch on that one Scotty! I'll be sure not to order anything from the US that won't fit in a jiffy bag!! :-)

Hammock
    Ray Mears Eco Hammock
    Tarp
    Aussie Hootchie
    Suspension
    Strap/Ring + Knots
    Hi Ironfish

I think there are some 'loopholes' such as sending as a gift (under a certain value), or asking the seller to lower the original purchase value (not always easy), but there's always a chance it will get caught, which would probably result in a big hold up and a fine on top!

To be honest, I can live with the VAT. Duty can be an issue, but wasn't charged on the hammock and bits this time. It was the cheek of the Post Office in adding their £8 and still asking you to collect that got me. Could be expensive on a small value delivery.

What I need is a consolidating point somewhere in the US, then I can order loads of great stuff, pop over for a quick trip - with some camping included - and then bring all the kit home as 'used' - sorted!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by HantsHanger View Post

What I need is a consolidating point somewhere in the US, then I can order loads of great stuff, pop over for a quick trip - with some camping included - and then bring all the kit home as 'used' - sorted!!
    If you're seriously looking at doing that, take a look at the services provided by Kinekpoint (kinek.com). hey have outlets all over the US and not just in border towns.

I use them for a US shipping address because the charges for shipping from the US to Canada are equally ridiculous. Even though it's a 6 hour drive to either of the two closest border points, I can still save money on my overall costs AND get in a camping trip when I'm ordering from multiple suppliers or have a large enough order. Instead of trying to bring things home as 'used' to avoid import taxes, take full advantage of any duty free allowances that UK customs allow. Better to declare almost your limit than to get caught. I'm now allowed $800 Canadian after 48 hours and I've come pretty close to my limit a few times.... I've also been known to mail home any warranties or paperwork on the 'used' stuff so as to avoid any confusion at customs!

Hammock
    Ray Mears Eco Hammock
    Tarp
    Aussie Hootchie
    Suspension
    Strap/Ring + Knots
    Thanks The Old Boot

That sounds like really good advice and I certainly wasn’t aware of Kinekpoint. My only problem is that with all the gear I’d really like to buy, there probably won’t be enough left for flights!

Oh, and yes, I'd hate to be guilty of 'confusing' customs over something as serious as a hammock import!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by HantsHanger View Post
    Hi Ironfish

I think there are some 'loopholes' such as sending as a gift (under a certain value), or asking the seller to lower the original purchase value (not always easy), but there's always a chance it will get caught, which would probably result in a big hold up and a fine on top!

To be honest, I can live with the VAT. Duty can be an issue, but wasn't charged on the hammock and bits this time. It was the cheek of the Post Office in adding their £8 and still asking you to collect that got me. Could be expensive on a small value delivery.

I believe our vendors are honest and do not devalue or falsify documentation (send as a gift). I was very surprised the deal with the down went through so fast and without added costs.

I ship my clothing and other items I traveled to my destination home, used. I buy whatever I want and use it while I am away from home. Just pack up my new/used stuff and take it back home. I go back and forth from Canada to the USA a lot so far no problems in the past 30 years. Mostly the dog causes some discussion, however that seems to have been streamlined recently, she is considered a Service Dog in both the USA and Canada.

I have friends I ship items to every once in a while, I do look up the duty and fee's before I ship, there are a lot of little quirky things to consider before filling out the Customs Declaration.
    I did not know about the "Handling Fee". I guess it has been a while since I shipped to your neck of the woods.

I had a hammock from the UK shipped here, the shipping was almost more $ than the cost of the hammock. Between the exchange rate and the shipping it was expensive. There was no duty to be paid, just the shipping and fees my bank charged me.
    I like the idea of a holding company.

I believe that UK hammocks stocks some Dutchware, would be worth looking into for buyers in UK and Europe

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman X double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Speed hook
    Images
    Yes I fell victim to this one, bought Whoopie hooks, Dutch buckles and Amsteel, total £28 with postage. Added tax and handling made it up to £40 and a trip to the Post Office. Now for small bits I try to keep it under £15 with postage as this doesn't fall into the tax bracket. Two lots of shipping can be cheaper than the extra taxes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast