WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Do you guys think I'll be warm enough?

Hey guys,

I'm very very new to actual winter camping, and even more so with my hammock, but I thought I would run an idea by you all and see what you think.

The plan is to spend a night out in my hammock this weekend and I'm hoping that layering up my insulation will be enough to keep me warm. I don't really have a proper winter set up so I'm hoping to make do with what I've got. The temps are supposed to get down to about -17C or 2F. Here is the idea:

Top insulation: 20F HG Burrow inside of a 20F Synthetic mummy bag (possibly with a wool blanket on top of that if I need it)
    Bottom insulation: Cheap blue CCF pad in between the layers of my WBBB, and a 20F HG Phoenix underneath that

I'll of course use a hot hands warmer or two and probably the boiling water in a nalgene trick also, but I was wondering if you all figure I'll be alright. I'll just be trying it out in my back yard so worst case scenario is that I go inside and have a hot shower, then crawl into bed with my wife.

Thanks!
    Coffee?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I don't know the answer, but I am interested to see what kind of responses you get. I have the same hammock and uq, with a ugo 20 degree top quilt, so we have similar setups. I have always assumed I would try to get to single digits by adding a ccf pad under and my synthetic 30 degree Big Agnes bag on top. Let us know how it works out. Actually, the temp here is supposed to get down to 3 degrees F, so maybe I should try the back yard hang.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Jarbidge Renegade
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    I camped out with my BIAS WW Micro using nothing but the KAQ Jarbidge and a Wool quilt with lots of layers(and a zippo warmer on my chest) when it got down to the low teens. I was cold on and off mostly because I had no under protection for my feet(two pairs of wool socks and a wool blanket only; got drafty underneath). You may get a bit chilly, but should be fine with all those layers(many more than I had). It would be a good test though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    On the surface, it sounds like adequate insulation. However, it really depends on your experience level. There's a huge difference between theoretical warmth and actual experience camping in those conditions. If you haven't practiced in your back yard, and are thoroughly familiar with your gear, you could be in for a miserable (potentially dangerous) night.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Warmth is such a subjective thing, that it is hard to get finite answers to questions like this. The backyard laboratory is such a great place to trial and error since it is easy to supplement insulation, or bail all together. My advice is to keep a journal that logs detailed information such as temperature, humidity, dew point, wind - and your insulation system utilized - and your comfort level during the night. With several different setups in different weather conditions, you can more easily dial-in your insulation setup(s) for your comfort level and the anticipated weather conditions.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    Warmth is such a subjective thing, that it is hard to get finite answers to questions like this. The backyard laboratory is such a great place to trial and error since it is easy to supplement insulation, or bail all together. My advice is to keep a journal that logs detailed information such as temperature, humidity, dew point, wind - and your insulation system utilized - and your comfort level during the night. With several different setups in different weather conditions, you can more easily dial-in your insulation setup(s) for your comfort level and the anticipated weather conditions.
    Hey this sounds like a sound plan. I do hope to make it through the night without any real discomfort, and I'm lucky to be able to do a test hang 20 feet from my house. I'm just always looking for ways to extend my camping season further and further.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I did 9F last week with a HHSS + 20F Down Quilt on bottom and then on top had a 0F Synthetic Mummy bag zipped up and a cheapo summer bag on top of that. 20-30MPH winds -5F wind chill.

Pulled the cheapo bag over my head and slept like a baby. You should be fine.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm very very new to actual winter camping, and even more so with my hammock, but I thought I would run an idea by you all and see what you think.

The plan is to spend a night out in my hammock this weekend and I'm hoping that layering up my insulation will be enough to keep me warm. I don't really have a proper winter set up so I'm hoping to make do with what I've got. The temps are supposed to get down to about -17C or 2F. Here is the idea:

Top insulation: 20F HG Burrow inside of a 20F Synthetic mummy bag (possibly with a wool blanket on top of that if I need it)
    Bottom insulation: Cheap blue CCF pad in between the layers of my WBBB, and a 20F HG Phoenix underneath that

I'll of course use a hot hands warmer or two and probably the boiling water in a nalgene trick also, but I was wondering if you all figure I'll be alright. I'll just be trying it out in my back yard so worst case scenario is that I go inside and have a hot shower, then crawl into bed with my wife.

Thanks!
    I think I'd put the top quilt over the mummy, not inside it. You'll likely compress the down more if it's inside a mummy. Of course, take my advice with a grain of salt, I don't have any experience in a hammock at those temperatures... Otherwise I think it sounds like a solid plan. It's always best to test in the back yard, especially under those kind of conditions. Good luck.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall

I think I'd put the top quilt over the mummy, not inside it. You'll likely compress the down more if it's inside a mummy. Of course, take my advice with a grain of salt, I don't have any experience in a hammock at those temperatures... Otherwise I think it sounds like a solid plan. It's always best to test in the back yard, especially under those kind of conditions. Good luck.
    Come to think of it that is actually a much better plan. the quilt is a long/wide with a snap footbox, so I can open it up to use over the mummy bag. I think I'll post back with a report on how it goes on Sunday

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, HudsonR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I've been out only a couple of times in those temperatures, but it's been the last couple of weekends, and my gear is similar. I agree with the previous poster that you might be better off layering your top insulation, rather than putting one inside the other where compression will compromise the effectiveness.

I think you might be ok. I almost survived low single digits in my back yard with a 20F underquilt, a pad, and a 20F bag + a 40F bag on top as a quilt. I was also wearing a balaclava, and a thick wool watch cap over it, plus warm gloves and lots of wool layers. Didn't have a hot water bottle or hand warmers, though I wish I did. I ended up bailing due to cold feet.

One thing to watch out for is that your CCF pad doesn't compromise the ability of your underquilt to conform to your hammock, creating even small air gaps. You might be better off putting your wool blanket between your hammock layers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast