Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Traveler XL
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

First Hammock For Big Guy & (Sometimes) Wife

First, let me thank everyone for the wealth of information here. I've read so much I've gotten a little ahead of myself and feel a bit overwhelmed. So it's time to step back, explain my story, and ask for some guidance on getting started with a proper first hammock. I know & I'm sorry... another "Help me pick my first hammock" thread!

I was given a Byer of Maine (Amazonas) Traveller as a gift a couple YEARS ago at Christmas. As with many gifts that are cool at the time, but not immediately enjoyed, it found it's way into one of my many totes of camping gear to be forgotten until the just other day. After FINALLY getting a day in the North East this year that was comfortably above zero, I "found" this hammock while digging through camping gear to give my brain a little taste of spring. This hammock has an overall length of 120" (actual fabric length of only 84") and a width of just 58". It doesn't have single gathered loop ends like some of Byer's newer models but instead has multiple cords on each end joined together in a woven loop.

Using an odd assortment of supplies found in my garage I (safely) hung the hammock and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by it's relative comfort as, like many, my only (bad) hammock experiences had been with the open rope/spreader bar styles. It became readily apparent, however, that this hammock is not a good fit for me over any length of time. I'm a wee bit too big. I still was impressed enough that want to explore this "hammock thing" a little further!

I'm a sizable guy at 6'5" and 235#. I'm not looking for a full fledged camping setup (like the Blackbird XLC) for my first hammock. I would, however, like to get a quality first one that would be good to carry in the car, my kayak, on day hikes, and similar "weight isn't that big an issue" outings. Based on my size, and reading many different threads, I'd guess that most would suggest getting a gathered end hammock at least 10', but probably more appropriately 11', long... correct?

In looking at many different hammocks I'm fairly surprised that between 10' and 11' long weight ratings can vary widely from 200# to 500#. Given the likely use(s) of this first hammock, I would imagine that my wife will insist on sharing sometimes (i.e occasionally using it together). She's 5'2" and, while I don't dare list her weight here for fear of significant and permanent bodily harm should she find this post , I think I can safely say she's between 50% and 60% of my weight. In the "sharing" scenario that would put the load between 352# & 376#.

Width seems to be a much more subjective topic. I did read, among others, the thread comparing the ENO vs Grand Trunk vs Kammok hammocks. It was interesting (and unfortunate) to see that dimensions aren't always measured consistently so that listed specs are sometimes off. Listed dimensions for some of the ones I found between 10'-11' long and rated for 400#+ are:

ENO DoubleNest: 112" x 74"
    Kammock Roo: 120" x 67"
    Grand Trunk Double: 128" x 78"
    Trek Light Double: 120" x 78"

So in trying not to have to look through the products of every single vendor listed/mentioned on HF (both "big" brand and cottage), and greatly valuing personal experience over just numbers on a page, are there models/companies I'm missing? Are there any hammocks that folks have found to work better than others given my needs? My budget is somewhat "flexible". Many thanks!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The two-person hammock is a marketing gimmick (heavily used by ENO) - it is very unlikely that you'll be able to tolerate more than a few minutes cuddling in a hammock, well enough a full night's sleep. If you choose to fall for that gimmick, expect to be severely disappointed and extremely miserable. While you may find a few folks who say it works for them, you'll probably be able to count them on one hand.

You've listed all the big-box vendors who deceptively market the two-person hammock concept. You won't find a single cottage vendor marketing two-person hammocks because it's inherently dishonest. Personally, I wouldn't buy from a company trying to pull the wool over my eyes. You might want to do a bit more research before getting taken for a ride.

The only true two-person hammock on the market is the Clark Vertex, though it's not really a two-person hammock either since each occupant has a separate sleeping bed. Of course, you need some pretty strong marketing to romanticize a $600, six lb. hammock, so feast your eyes on this:

You'll also need to find three trees perfectly spaced (as I recall), so it's not as easy and romantic as they make it look.

So if you can disabuse yourself of the notion that a two-person hammock exists (at least an affordable one), then you're back to finding a hammock right for you, your height and your weight. Which one is right for you? Depends on what you'll be doing with it. You make no mention of camping in the hammock, so maybe you're just looking for a camp chair/lounging hammock. If that's the case, then you're what we call a "casual" hammock user and any of the brands you listed (though probably overpriced, too short, too heavy and basically inferior to a cottage vendor hammock in every way) will do fine.

Buttinasling, Dutchware, and other cottage vendors sell simple, gathered-end hammocks. Dutch also has a system (requiring spreader bars) where you can hang two hammocks together for that feeling of intimacy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Hi there. I'm 6'6" 275 and my wife is about 5'6" and just right. We sleep together in my diy double layer from tableclothfactory. It's the 13 x 8 I think. I'll try to post some pics. It took a few minutes to get situated for both of us to be comfortable but it's doable. You gotta be ok with being close and touching the whole time but we are so no issues. uploadfromtaptalk1425071150800.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425071187604.jpg

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    It's the largest size tcf has in the crinkle taffeta

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Let your wife sleep in the Byer Hammock. See how she likes it. Get yourself a Dutch hammock 11' long with suspension. See how you like it.

Two hammocks hanging from the same two trees is fairly easy if the trees are 2' in diameter. Just let the suspensions come out of each side the trees. Or use three tree method. Feet end on one tree and head ends on two separate trees that are close together. That would be a cheap way to try hammocking for the both of you. Then you already have a good hammock to camp, backpack or do whatever when she may not want to make a trip with you.

I couldn't imagine trying to sleep two in a hammock with success. But there are some that have done it and love it.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I agree with almost everything Silvrsurfr said above. I do have to mention, however, that my first hammock was an ENO Double nest. The ONLY reason I still have that hammock is because when I go car camping it can be a decent hammock to lounge around in, even with the wife. I also no longer worry that my kids will destroy it so i let them play in it. I would NEVER, ever plan to spend the night in it with 2 people, that really is a marketing gimmick, however, I have found that because this hammock is significantly wider than most I can use it as a sort of chair sitting perpendicular to the hammock. Sitting this way it will support from my head to around my knees, allowing my feet to dangle off the edge. Alternatively I can cross my legs at the knees and bring them into the hammock. I sometimes use this position to read and I've had my wife in the hammock with me in this position for up to about 45 minutes comfortably. I'm 6'1" 210 lbs. and with my wife we get close to the weight you are talking about with no problem. I probably wouldn't want to take a nap that way but just lounging for a minute, it can work. All of that being said, your choice really depends on your purpose. If all you are doing is lounging in it while car camping it might not be a terrible way to go, although I think the cottage vendors would probably make you happier in the long run. If you plan on spending the night in it at any point, I'd look at something different. As Silvrsurfr mentioned, Dutch sells very comfortable gathered end hammocks at a bargain of a price and he has the doublewhoopie hooks that can get you pretty close if your wife wants to hang in a separate hammock. For your height an 11' hammock will be most comfortable. Wilderness Logics also sells the Night Owl, another 11' hammock, that would meet your weight requirements and is top notch quality. It looks a little more pricey but it does include the suspension to hang it from so factor that in as most hammocks don't come with that included. There are probably a lot of other similar hammocks to look at as well but i've listed a couple that come to mind of hand. Give us a little more information on your intended use of the hammock and you will probably get better feedback taylored to what you need.

Hammock
    WB Traveler XL
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I guess I would agree that I'm (initially at least) going to be a "casual" hammock user. I can already see how hanging is like so many other pursuits though... you start with one only to find out through experience how you really use it, what works better, what's lighter, what you do/don't like, and eventually discover that you've collected enough hammocks and hardware for a small family!

As far as camping... that's not what I plan to do until I know I'll find a hammock comfortable for long periods. If I thought I'd be trying to camp in one (alone) right out of the gate I'd spring for a complete package first. I envision fair weather day trips with the car, kayak, day hikes, etc. to begin with. If I find it comfortable maybe a fair weather/bug free overnight once in a great while. Where things go beyond the first purchase only time will tell.

I wouldn't say that I'd fallen for the two-person hammock claim. I just seemed to keep landing in that "group" due to the size/weight numbers. I was looking more at the (11' +/- 400#) capability to have enough room for my height and also have enough capacity for my wife to occasionally, and safely, climb in for a bit; certainly not for sleeping together. I will admit that even in a bed I tend to want my own space so sleeping double in a hammock hadn't even crossed my mind. Bigsig11010 and his wife sound similar in stature to my wife and I. They have no trouble sleeping double but it sounds like they may be in the minority.

I assumed by my height that a wider one might be where I needed to start... but too narrow/too wide appears somewhat subjective. I can say without question that the 54" wide Byer hammock I have isn't nearly wide enough for me. My feet/ankles+ are hanging off the side with even a modest diagonal lay. I'd seen Dutch's hammocks, and looked at Butt In A Sling based on the recommendation by SilvrSurfr, but at 58" wide they're only 4" wider than the one I was given. 58" wide seems too narrow for someone 6'5" even if the hammock is 11' long... or am I missing something? Although I listed a couple that are in the 74"-78" range, having one as wide as I am tall seems a bit much unless I want to lay completely perpendicular to the thing or have enough extra fabric to double as a light blanket. Many mention how length is often as important as width but there is obviously a "too narrow" thresh hold. Width is one of the areas where I'm having trouble making heads or tails of the numbers.

I don't see where hangs happen much up my way so I'm pretty limited in what I can try before I buy. I appreciate the opinions and feedback.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -John Muir

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    This video shows a gentleman (the one in the Orange shirt) who is pretty much the same height and weight as you (6'5", 240lbs, I think). The hammock is an 11ft x 72" wide flex body. This should give you a rough idea of how you'd fit in a hammock this size.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a firm believer that hammock comfort comes more from length than width, but I can thoroughly understand how someone of considerable girth would find that added width would be important (I've rarely seen skinny people advocating wider hammocks). At 6'5" and 235 lbs., you just don't seem to fit that profile. I'm only 5'11" and 165 lbs., and I find an 11' hammock to be ideal. However, anything less than 58" width kind of bothers me, because I'm simply not used to it.

At your height, I might even consider a 12' hammock, though I don't think you'll gain much from additional width. If you look at the wider hammocks available (74-78", all part of the two-person hammock marketing mantra), most of them have annoying seams, since most fabrics come in approx. 60" wide rolls. Dream Hammock has some fabric that comes in widths up to 68" but otherwise, you're gonna have to live with annoying seams.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    This video shows a gentleman (the one in the Orange shirt) who is pretty much the same height and weight as you (6'5", 240lbs, I think). The hammock is an 11ft x 72" wide flex body.
    Randy, do you have rolls 72" wide or does that hammock have seams? I looked at your website and thought that 68" wide was the widest fabric you have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast