Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MacCat Tarps

Images

MacCat Tarps

I don't know any friends that own a MacCat Tarp, and I was wondering if I could have your guys's input. I wasn't sure if I should get the standard or deluxe tarp. The $20 bucks isn't a problem for me, I just don't want to spend it if it's not neccessary. If it matters, I have a HH Expedition Asym.

Thanks

Scottie
    When people say camping is for sissys, what does that make them....?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I think you'll be happier spending the extra bucks to get the coverage that the Deluxe offers. As I've said many times before though, I'm a wuss about getting wet. My own tarp is actually even bigger than Brian's Deluxe.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Depends on how much coverage you want. If you don't need as much coverage go for the standard if you want more go for the deluxe. I would opt for the deluxe as it gives you a few more options. Alos you wouldn't be in the position of saying that you wished you would have bought something bigger.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Images
    Thanks. What different options does the deluxe have?

Images
    Ive got an Expedition as well. Go with the Deluxe. Plenty of room. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Deluxe with mods

I have the deluxe and like it alot. Makes a great dining fly in rainy weather using my Leki poles. Brian at OES made velcroed corner pockets to stuff the guylines. Keeps things organized and quicker to setup in the dark. I use Niteize figure nines on the ridge lines and aircore with slip adjusters on the guys.

Images
    ok, thats exactly what i was thinking, using the figure nines on the ridge line, but im just going to stick with normal guy lines for a while. Based on this info, ill probably go with the deluxe, but im going to give my self a few more days to think it over. I dont know what it is about me, but it always takes me long amounts of time to make money related decisions! Another thing. I have a backpacking trip in June in the NC Mountains. Its 5 days, should I get the tarp before then, or just use the stock for that one trip. Another thing, is there a way to hang the tarp separate from the hammock, but still roll it up in the snake skins?

Scottie

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by specialscott97 View Post
    ok, thats exactly what i was thinking, using the figure nines on the ridge line, but im just going to stick with normal guy lines for a while. Based on this info, ill probably go with the deluxe, but im going to give my self a few more days to think it over. I dont know what it is about me, but it always takes me long amounts of time to make money related decisions! Another thing. I have a backpacking trip in June in the NC Mountains. Its 5 days, should I get the tarp before then, or just use the stock for that one trip. Another thing, is there a way to hang the tarp separate from the hammock, but still roll it up in the snake skins?

Scottie
    If you decide the MacCat is the way to go, I'd definitely try to get it before your trip. If you have solid reasons for wanting to get away from the stock tarp, I wouldn't compromise with it for even one trip. JMO.

I don't like packing hammock and tarp together at all. Think about it - if your tarp is wet and your only storage option is both together in your skins, you're either going to get your hammock wet as well (defeating the purpose of the tarp in the first place) or you'll have to come up with some alternate way to store your tarp until it dries. While the second option is obviously the better of the two, it's still far from ideal. I would suggest either two sets of skins - one for the tarp and one for the hammock - or skins for your tarp and some kind of stuff sack for your hammock. The latter is what I do and I really like it.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by specialscott97 View Post

Scottie
    I recommend hanging the tarp seperate from the hammock, and also storing it seperately from the tarp. I dont want to put a wet tarp with dry hammock. So, I keep them seperate. Im thinking of a nooseeum Black Bishop bag for my tarp, but several people use a seperate set of mesh snake skins for their tarp. Just a thought.

If you still wanted to, you could wrap the tarp around the hammock and then skin it with the same skins, but they would probably need to be a larger size skins. Then, when you hang the hammock, use a seperate length of cord to tie the tarp once you unwrap it from around the hammock.

If it were me I would definately take the bigger tarp. Those NC thunderstorms can ruin a trip and are unpredictable in the mountains to say the least.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Man, BB beat me to it. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast