BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images

Has anyone gone back to pads after using an underquilt?

The reason I ask is I'm about to head off to New Zealand for a couple of months and I know some areas are going to lack trees. So my plan is to take my hammock, hex tarp, hug net and, I'm almost ashamed to admit, a bivy bag and then just pick up a z-lite or similar while I'm there.

Now having used, made and sold a few UQs will I simply hate using a pad again? and should I just pack a bigger heavier bag with both a pad and an UQ ?

Love to here your opinions.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    I have both a down and Climashield underquilt for my bridge hammock. They are warm and fiddle-free, but I still much prefer my Klymit Static V insulated pad. It packs small, is warm enough for most of my needs, can get damp without much worry, allows me to go to ground if needed, and REALLY improves the comfort of my bridge hammock by opening it up...like a cot on a cloud. Sure, there are drawbacks, but still and all, it's my go-to choice. Have fun in New Zealand!

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    im totaly new to backpacking, but here is my opinion anyway. i would take the quilts and a zlite. The zlite weighs very little, and will be used for more than just an occasional sleeping pad.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    A compromise solution would be to bring a 3/4 uq, and a 3/4 pad.pad as leg insulation inhammock and as ground torso insulation. Use your pack on the ground for your legs.

Also I'd consider just bringing a ground sheet instead of a full bivy. Use hammock bug net on the ground too.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I'm not exactly in your situation because I'm in a touring kayak and can allow for a little extra gear. In my trip planning, I will sometimes know ahead of time that trees are either definitely on the menu or definitely not. That makes it simple. Trees = hammock, No trees = tent & pad. For the trips were I'm not sure, I'll bring the tent and pad, plus my double layer hammock and my tarp. I carry my TQ on all trips. For those toss-up trips, I'll just leave the UQ home.

Maybe you can test drive the pad on some short trips before you leave for New Zealand. See what you think. Is it doable or not?
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Go heavier. Sort out what you need at the trailhead. FWIW given the narrow pad vs the wider quilt I would be tempted to go for a lighter quilt with the pad for added core insulation and going to ground. Depends somewhat on the conditions you expect on the trip. I'd also check the creepy crawlies where you are going before I ditched the bivy. Some places they are decidedly not nice to share a bed with.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have been hiking in NZ, and in most areas there would have been ample opportunities to hang. Whereabouts are you planning to go? And how are you going to travel - will you be backpacking the whole time? If some of your hikes are in treeless areas, the best solution would be to bring a lightweight tent set-up plus your usual hammock set-up. Then leave what you don't need for a particular hike behind at the hostel/hotel/campsite.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Well that's a pretty solid concensus that I should definitely try to find room for an UQ in my bag:-) I'll still probably pick up a zlite but keep it for the bivy/ground only though. Thanks everyone :-*

Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    I have both a down and Climashield underquilt for my bridge hammock. They are warm and fiddle-free, but I still much prefer my Klymit Static V insulated pad. It packs small, is warm enough for most of my needs, can get damp without much worry, allows me to go to ground if needed, and REALLY improves the comfort of my bridge hammock by opening it up...like a cot on a cloud. Sure, there are drawbacks, but still and all, it's my go-to choice. Have fun in New Zealand!
    I'm still in my gathered end so I think the Klymit are out for me, fascinating looking bits of kit though! I keep meaning to getting around to a bridge, especially if it help towards a hybrid ground shelter, there's lots of moors around here that can make hammocks a but of a palava.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    A compromise solution would be to bring a 3/4 uq, and a 3/4 pad.pad as leg insulation inhammock and as ground torso insulation. Use your pack on the ground for your legs.

Also I'd consider just bringing a ground sheet instead of a full bivy. Use hammock bug net on the ground too.
    I only have 3/4 length UQ anyway, I find the fit better. Its just a case of how much I can fit in my bag as I'm going to Manchester, London and Australia on this trip so ideally just take a medium sized duffel. This is preferred but with everyone agreeing to the UQ being best I may just bite the bullet on that one.

I think I'm going to have to take a bivy as I've already made a few ultralight ones that I'm kinda eager to try :-) and I adore sleeping on the beach (provided I remember my ear plugs!)

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I'm not exactly in your situation because I'm in a touring kayak and can allow for a little extra gear. In my trip planning, I will sometimes know ahead of time that trees are either definitely on the menu or definitely not. That makes it simple. Trees = hammock, No trees = tent & pad. For the trips were I'm not sure, I'll bring the tent and pad, plus my double layer hammock and my tarp. I carry my TQ on all trips. For those toss-up trips, I'll just leave the UQ home.

Maybe you can test drive the pad on some short trips before you leave for New Zealand. See what you think. Is it doable or not?
    The plan was to buy the pad out there to save on space and then just give it away on my return, I was fine with a pad but I fear I've gotten soft and to well acquainted with my down UQ :-) I'm also fighting against having too big a flight bag, hence a bivy to go under my hex tarp rather than a tent

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Go heavier. Sort out what you need at the trailhead. FWIW given the narrow pad vs the wider quilt I would be tempted to go for a lighter quilt with the pad for added core insulation and going to ground. Depends somewhat on the conditions you expect on the trip. I'd also check the creepy crawlies where you are going before I ditched the bivy. Some places they are decidedly not nice to share a bed with.
    Other vote for the UQ! I've heard the bugs in some areas are pretty savage.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have been hiking in NZ, and in most areas there would have been ample opportunities to hang. Whereabouts are you planning to go? And how are you going to travel - will you be backpacking the whole time? If some of your hikes are in treeless areas, the best solution would be to bring a lightweight tent set-up plus your usual hammock set-up. Then leave what you don't need for a particular hike behind at the hostel/hotel/campsite.
    Ive not got any solid plans as yet other that knowing I'll be going to both North and south Islands (brothers birthday, family get togethers and the like) so I'm just going to see what pan out, hopefully around 2-3 weeks camping in total but split up in to shorter sections. I'll have a car and various people's houses for me to stash my gear at.

Anywhere you think ought not to be missed?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I tried the UQ route, didnt like it. I have been a pad user for years. When I had my WBBB, I initially had a UQ, but, I never cared for it. I had to fidget with it sometimes, and, overall, it just wasnt my thing. I went to a pad, using a gossamer gear CCF pad, that was designed for the hammock, and never looked back. I sold that setup, and now use a WBRR, with a pad-and am not looking at another UQ at all. For me, pads work great. Weight isnt an issue (and, with high end pads, the weight differences are a couple ounces-which doesnt matter to me), and I like the flexibility of at least knowing that, for some reason, IF I ever have to go to ground, I can. But, in almost a decade of hanging, thats happened exactly once. And, I was sleeping. A toggle broke on me . I was hanging again in 10 minutes though!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Ive not got any solid plans as yet other that knowing I'll be going to both North and south Islands (brothers birthday, family get togethers and the like) so I'm just going to see what pan out, hopefully around 2-3 weeks camping in total but split up in to shorter sections. I'll have a car and various people's houses for me to stash my gear at.

Anywhere you think ought not to be missed?
    Sounds great! I recently posted in another thread on NZ: I really liked the Fiordlands. You wouldn't need to worry about having a place to hang, as long as you camp below the tree line.

It sounds like your set-up already should be working on the ground, provided you won't have to do it too often.

One piece of advice: get all of your camping gear in Europe. I had to get half of my gear in NZ, and it wasn't easy to get lightweight stuff without spending an arm and a leg. Shopping also takes time - time that's better spent with family, friends or hiking. You can still leave cheap(er) gear that you don't want to take back with you in NZ. I can also recommend taking a very lightweight duffel bag, like e.g. the North Face Flyweight Duffel or the Mountain Hardwear Lightweight Expedition Duffel. Those bags weigh very little and fold down small when not needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast