DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY cat SylNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling

Are we at the end of thread injecting?

So RSGary, recently started a thread about using fabric adhesive to set his hems before he actually stitches them. It makes a great looking rolled hem and since I am "Hem Challenged", I thought I would give his technique a try.

Then I got to thinking ( I know, I know, even my wife says its a dangerous thing for me to do). Why couldn't you completely eliminate the need to sew a seam or hem and use an adhesive.... After all, the materials we use (nylon, polyester) are all man made and surely there would be glue available to bond this material together. So that got me to searching the Internet which led me to this video on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/Ne2J01h1tZ0

Apparently ProLiteGear is looking into this technology and the author of this video indicates that this is where the industry is heading.

So what experience does anyone have with using something other then a thread injector to make your gear? I'd love to hear about what you have tried, did it work, did it fail, what suggestions if any you might offer or even just your opinion on what folks like us will be doing in 5-10 years as we Make our own gear.

I know that Thread Injectors will always be there... But what other technologies might we be using?
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

- Augusten Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I think there is another thread on the forums about this vid. My search foo isn't good enough to find it but maybe someone remembers it. The vid was posted in 2013 so it was likely back a ways.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Nylon will be the toughest material to find something to stick really well to it.

I forget what the order was that I had a few years ago but it included velcro being glued to and not stitched to a nylon fabric. It had to hold a significant weight and I tried everything. Even called and talked with 3M and as soon as I mentioned Nylon the guy said, "Ah Nylon. You're going to have a problem with that. There's nothing that will really get into the fibers."
    They sent me a few samples but none of them worked.
    I'm talking about an adhesive that will hold the same shear stress that the material will. It will be hard to find anything close to affordable right now if it even exist.
    But I think it will in the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I do believe some manufactures are working on being able to weld nylon together instead of sewing it.
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 44 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yes, this did come up before, and I tried some of the Dritz Stitch Witchery fusible bonding tape with a MonoKote sealing iron. In fact I used it the other day to hold some small webbing reinforcement pieces in place so I could sew them accurately. My opinion (based on this minimal experience) is that it's a useful technique, but a bonded seam is certainly not a replacement for sewing. I'm glad I spent the $20 for the sealing iron, though. It often gets used without the fusible tape, too. (It's an iron; it flattens wrinkles.)

I like the looks of the Beacon Fabri-Tac. RSGary did a nice job of showing us how it could be used, and I will probably try some. I use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, but I'd never sew through it. A quick search for "fabric glue" or "fabric bonding" shows there's no shortage of competing products.

The one area where bonding completely replaces sewing is cuben fiber.

Best to simply get over being "hem challenged", but don't stop thinking about alternatives.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The concept of fabric welding is not the same as adhesive joining. Nylon fabric welding is taking pieces of nylon and actually joining them together without any adhesives. Adhesive joining is in effect gluing the pieces together. RSGary is quite correct about the difficulty of adhesive joining nylon. The video is referring to a heat process which effectively melts the base materials together. Fabric welding is indeed a trending technology in use now. Adhesive joining for synthetics still has a long way to go.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY cat SylNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling

Are we at the end of thread injecting?

So he actually showed 2 separate heat bonding prices, one industrial using special non sticky adhesive and a specialized machine to apply it. The second heat bonding he showed was using a Ditz branded tape that he applied in 2 different ways. The first was using the "press" where he applied both pressure and heat for a prescribed time. The second was the iron that WV referred to. He seemed to imply that the seams joined using this process were very strong...
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

- Augusten Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    They aren't. That's why I like RSGary's "real world review" better.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    DYI/ ORIGAMI
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Interesting, I wonder if non thread injected joinings will hold effectively as thread injected areas. Maybe better, I hate it when a seam goes because of thread failure, often it happens in areas that are difficult to repair without a lot of tearing out existing seams.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I found yesterday some guys in a German sewing forum who wrote they don't sew any longer. They said they use an iron and a double-sided adhesive tape. Now I think I know how they do it. Here is the complete arsenal of products they use described:
    http://www.vlieseline.de/English/Pro...ssing_tips.htm