Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My adjustable indoor hang set-up

Hey Guys/ Gals,

I had been using an eye hook in the stud for my 11' dutch hammock but now that I have accumulated a few more hammocks, and my wife has decided that she would like to be able to hang indoors with me I went back to the drawing board... after many hours of searching through threads here I came up with this idea. I put up two sets of brackets so that I can hang two hammocks at once.

Ingredients- Keep in mind this is for two hammocks as the Superstrut only comes in 10' sections. If you only need one hammock up then cut the number of bolts and washers in half.

Superstrut 10' (I cut the piece into four 2.5' sections) - http://www.lowes.com/pd_20281-53911-...7C1&facetInfo=
    Superstrut 3/8" Cone Nut - http://www.lowes.com/pd_47816-53911-...7C1&facetInfo=
    Superstrut 1/2" 90 degree bracket - http://www.lowes.com/pd_74911-53911-...7C1&facetInfo=
    Four 3/8x16x1" Grade 8 Bolts
    Flat and lock washers for said bolts
    Structural lags - I used 5/16x 3 1/8" that I found at Home Depot.

Total cost for all these items was around $45.00

After I cut the 10' length into four 2.5' sections I marked out the studs on my walls and mounted the Superstrut diagonally across two studs using structural lags (much better than using a conventional lag as they are stronger and a smaller diameter that don't split the stud without being pre drilled.) Once the tracks were hung I just inserted the cone nuts and bolted the 90 degree brackets to them using 3/8x16x1" grade 8 bolts with a lock washer. I was looking for a way to attach an eye bolt to the strut rather than the 90 degree bracket but the bracket seemed to just be the easier option and functions the same. I then used a carabiner through the bracket to attach my suspension. The great thing about this set-up is that I just have to loosen the bracket and I can slide it up or down to adjust height. This works great for bridge hammocks that need to hang lower, or to raise your foot end a few inches if need be. Any questions or critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Hammock
    DIY BB clone (in work)
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UG
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Great idea. It looks perfekt. I will do something similar. Your hammocks look great too. Please tell me how you managed the bugnet, the panels and the zipper for this 11' dutch hammock. It looks like a perfekt BB XLC clone. I will order a little more noseeum mesh now and try the same to get a real "black" bird. My outer layer will be black and I first thougt to make my panels dark green as my inner layer will be.

Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    20Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    that's awesome... I wish my wife would not murder me in my sleep for rigging something like that to her walls... I would love a place to test different hammock setups before waiting until i'm on the trail.

Great write up!

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Very creative design. If other have tried something similar I have not seen it. The super strut is nice because it distributes the force over multiple studs and serves to adjust height. Very cool.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    Great idea. It looks perfekt. I will do something similar. Your hammocks look great too. Please tell me how you managed the bugnet, the panels and the zipper for this 11' dutch hammock. It looks like a perfekt BB XLC clone. I will order a little more noseeum mesh now and try the same to get a real "black" bird. My outer layer will be black and I first thougt to make my panels dark green as my inner layer will be.
    Sorry, I was a little confusing. What you see pictured is a Warbonnet BlackBird and Warbonnet RidgeRunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfyre View Post
    that's awesome... I wish my wife would not murder me in my sleep for rigging something like that to her walls... I would love a place to test different hammock setups before waiting until i'm on the trail. Great write up!
    Lucky for me, my wife is interested enough in hanging that it was no problem. I was thinking about painting the tracks to match the wall but either way they will still be visible. I put them up in our game room, no one really goes there much, until now that is.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarus8429 View Post
    Very creative design. If other have tried something similar I have not seen it. The super strut is nice because it distributes the force over multiple studs and serves to adjust height. Very cool.
    Exactly my thoughts, I thought it looked nicer than spanning a 2x4 across studs then mounting to that. Plus I gained the adjustability that I was lacking with a 2x4.

I just finished mounting the Superstrut yesterday and its been great so far. It does deflect away from the wall when I'm in the hammock ever so slightly, maybe 1/16" max which doesn't worry me as its steel. For extra support the larger track may be better about having zero deflection. Overall it feels solid so far, passes the bounce test haha. For reference I weigh right around 200lbs. I'll keep this thread updated on durability of the set-up over time. Thanks for the good words guys!
    Last edited by trav848; 03-02-2015 at 11:04.

Genius! What a great idea

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Do you have any idea what the load ratings of the superstruts and the cone nuts are? I searched for technical data but couldn't find anything. I ask because those superstruts are made to support pipes and conduits. Just wonderin'... .

But they look good though. And the adjustability you created by angling them is a first, I believe.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trav848 View Post
    Lucky for me, my wife is interested enough in hanging that it was no problem.
    Haha! I looked at this post and immediately thought - "BACHELOR!"

I was wrong
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Do you have any idea what the load ratings of the superstruts and the cone nuts are? I searched for technical data but couldn't find anything. I ask because those superstruts are made to support pipes and conduits. Just wonderin'... .

But they look good though. And the adjustability you created by angling them is a first, I believe.
    To be honest I don't. I looked all over for that info but found nothing. I have seen the things that superstrut has been used for in the past and the weight it tolerates and figured i'd just give it a shot. The cone nuts are a pretty hefty piece of hardware, as are the 90 degree brackets. With the limited amount of space I have between anchor points into the wall it seems to hold great. I figured its got to be stronger than just having one eye hook in the stud like I had before. I suppose you could add some more support by putting a 1x or 2x4 behind it and anchoring the superstrut to the piece of wood in more places. Time will tell I guess.

I found some weight ratings for Unistrut which is a similar product. For the 1/58 x 7/8 channel I used the weight ratings are 600lbs for a 24" beam span anchored at each end and 2360lbs column rating for the same 24" anchor points. I'm no engineer and not sure what this is technically since the suspension pulls down and out. Maybe some of the engineers out there could chime in.

Link to said info http://www.eberliron.com/public/file...enEngCat17.pdf