WBBB 1.1Double layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG 20* Burr/Incu
    Suspension
    Straps

How do you guys measure temps?

I've seen a few different contraptions, but they seem to have various reviews. Anyone have good experiences with a lightweight digital thermometer/compass that keeps track of the lowest temp?

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    I've got a Suunto Ambit (http://www.suunto.com.au/Products/sp...t3-Peak-Black/). It records temperature data, logs my hike with GPS and uses a barometer to monitor weather activity and altitude. It's really great. I know plenty of other hikers who buy cheap electronic thermometers/barometers online, but those devices don't seem to be overly reliable in unreliable environments. Regardless of what you use, I never recommend relying on a single data point entirely, especially in an unknown or unpredictable place. I like to read the trees and clouds, document the climate changes as they occur around me, look at past weather patterns and study forecasts – then I'll add my Ambit data into the mix for a good understanding of what nature is up to.
    Whatever rocks your hammock

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are several indoor/outdoor units to choose from in the "economy" price range - just check Amazon. I'd think the issue to be aware of is battery failure in cold weather. Because the remote (outside) unit is going to be cold. I think lithium batteries do better in the cold. If so, they are worth the investment (a few cents more than alkaline). The question is, do you want the lowest temp "outside" or do you want the lowest temp where you are - in the hammock, under a tarp and/or sock? If you want it with you, then you don' need a remote unit. My experience has been that the coldest time is in early morning, not at midnight. So, assuming you don't have the sun beating down on your tarp first thing in the morning, my guess is what your thermometer says when you first get up is going to be pretty close to the "coldest".

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have several thermometers and when backpacking I carry the smallest/lightest one. When going to a group hang I take a couple so I can have one in the hammock, one just outside the hammock and under the tarp and a remote sensor about 50 feet away. At the last two group hangs, I noticed that the thermometer under the tarp registered about 4 degrees higher than the remote sensor and the thermometer inside the hammock ( a BB ) was a few degrees warmer than the thermometer under the tarp. Will have to continue to monitor this set up to see what readings I get at the next couple of group hangs.

I like to check with others at a group hang to see what temps they came up with as the results can vary greatly.
    Last edited by gunner76; 03-02-2015 at 17:49.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I have two of these; one for inside the hammock, one for outside around camp. Simple, cheap and have worked well so far. Records lowest temp over 24 hour period.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Time-.../dp/B000S5VRMM
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I put a small thermometer on my bug net's zipper pull.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    I got one of these at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Stores min/max for indoor and outdoor plus humidity. I checked it against a calibrated thermometer and both were within a 2 degrees across the ranges I checked. The only external part is a sensor on a 3 foot cord that I dangle out the zipper. For $6.99, it's tough to go wrong.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have one of those fancy do-dads that will give me the whole weather but other than for interest sake it proves to useless. If the barometer is dropping it is dropping and I'll still go or stop depending on the conditions rather than the barometer. I have used the wind part of it to determine what the end speeds are but in reality if I can't paddle because the waves are too big or the wind is too strong that little device won't help me. It's one of those items I have decided to drop from my gear list. I have been reluctant because I spent quite a bit on it and I am stubborn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1Double layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG 20* Burr/Incu
    Suspension
    Straps
    Wow, thank you for all the great ideas! I am looking for something basic to give me an idea of what temps I am hitting at nights to relate those temps to my comfort levels. It doesn't do me any good to just know that it was 'pretty cold' versus 'very cold'.

@Peterhase - That thing is nuts! haha unfortunately I don't have an extra $500 or an iphone, but thank you for the suggestion.

@[email protected] - I didn't think about the battery issues when super cold. Though I don't plan on any winter adventures this year, they could be in the not so distant future.

@gunner76 - which is the smallest/lightest thermometer that you carry?

@bartlax4 - that looks exactly like what i'm looking for, however the reviews are very sub par... how has your experience been?

@brien - I actually ordered something very similar to that, but it was DOA so i thought i'd try something with a higher quality.

@Hobopelican - that looks interesting, can you tell me what the weight is on that?

@Red Langford - haha yes, i can see the initial appeal to getting one of those.

I don't necessarily need multiple points of measurement or anything. I just want simple, reliable, light, and cheap. Oh wait, isn't that what we all want? haha thanks again everyone!

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    For "normal" conditions any of the above will be fine. However, electronics tend to crap out at really cold temperatures (even with lithium batteries many LCDs will stop displaying). So, on trips where I expect temps well below zero I bring an old-school mercury min/max thermometer from Sper Scientific. Weird, I know, but it works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast