Please help with recommendations

I'm new to the world of hammocks so please be gentle. I'm looking to purchase my first hammock setup and just when I think I have it narrowed down I get pulled in another direction. I'm 6'2 and 230 pounds with very broad shoulders. My biggest concern is that I'll be cramped in a hammock and feel claustrophobic. Of everything I've looked at the Warbonnet XLC looks like it would fit my needs. I like to keep my gear lighter but I'm not a super freak so I'm open to suggestions. Please help me pick the right hammock. Thanks in advance for your input.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I would offer that you start with a $35 1.6 Argon hammock from Dutchware. Then move forward.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Welcome to the forums. 'The right hammock' is completely subjective. That being said, there are pros and cons to everything What one person may perceive as a flaw, someone else considers to be a feature. If you have the opportunity, seek out a local group, or an organized hang, to lay eyes, hands and tush on a variety of hammocks if you REALLY want to find out which style is right for you.

The WB XLC is a great piece of gear, and I doubt anyone here would try to sway you from it. I personally love the style and (almost all) features of it. A couple of the hammocks I have made for myself have been modeled after it.

If you stick around here for a while, you'll see LOTS of great hammocks. The more you read/learn about them, the likelihood of the first hammock you decide on (regardless of which one it is) being your last drops considerably.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    What will the hammock be used for? Backpacking? Car camping? Backyard lounging? Do you need bug protection? Can't go wrong with the Warbonnet but as mentioned there are less expensive alternatives if you are just starting out.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    it is always good to learn fabrics weight recommendations. dreamhammock site has one of the best I have seen to give you an idea of material's weight, weight restrictions double layers and single layers. 12trysomething makes a good point to just get a more basic hammock for a decent cost. I would recommend 11" though. I am 6', 235lbs and have broad shoulders as well. the only 10' hammock I am comfortable in so far is the switchback and when it is tied out. never been uncomfortable in an 11' though. you can check if any local hangs will be happening or even a few vendors might be in your area. can always contact them for trying on a hammock.

Sorry that I didn't mention my main use in my original post. I'll be section hiking the AT so having a hammock that is lightweight and that provides bug protection are essential.

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    You can buy "stock" hammocks like Dutchware hammocks and then add a bugnet to them (Dutch even sells complete bugnets). Something like the Blackbird has a integrated bugnet that have them attached.

The Blackbird XLC sounds like a good fit. Though, do remember that the hammock itself isn't the only piece of equipment you need. You'll need a tarp and bottom insulation in the form of a pad or underquilt--not counting the top insulation in either a sleeping bag or top quilt.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    Sorry that I didn't mention my main use in my original post. I'll be section hiking the AT so having a hammock that is lightweight and that provides bug protection are essential.
    The Dutch hammock is a good suggestion, so is the 11 foot length. Bug protection can be had by the liberal application of permethrin and a non--integrated bug net, the lightest of which is the HUG net from Arrowhead Equipment:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...G_Bug_Net.html

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lf-Bug-Net-AHE

But the BIAS Buginator and the Fronkey style net are also good choices.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    I'm new to the world of hammocks so please be gentle. I'm looking to purchase my first hammock setup and just when I think I have it narrowed down I get pulled in another direction. I'm 6'2 and 230 pounds with very broad shoulders. My biggest concern is that I'll be cramped in a hammock and feel claustrophobic. Of everything I've looked at the Warbonnet XLC looks like it would fit my needs. I like to keep my gear lighter but I'm not a super freak so I'm open to suggestions. Please help me pick the right hammock. Thanks in advance for your input.
    If you're worried about claustrophobia, a hammock with integrated bugnet is probably not the best choice. That's one of the main reasons (that, and cost) why I avoid hammocks integrated bugnets. I like Fronkey-style, bottom-entry, independent bugnets with simple, gathered-end hammocks because all I need to do is swing my legs out of the hammock and they're on the ground: no searching for the zipper. However, integrated bugnets are more popular because zippers make people feel more secure, for some reason.

If you've never owned a hammock, you're going to have to decide whether you like to sleep head left/feet right, or head right/feet left. Hammocks with integrated bugnets like the XLC require you to make that decision when you order. With a simple, gathered-end hammock like Dutch sells, you can lay either way, till you figure out what you like.

The hammock doesn't have to be a big ticket item; in fact, it can be the least expensive part of your setup. Having a proper tarp and insulation is much more important to hammock comfort, in my opinion.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts